You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: what does Axl/GNR have to, to regain your interest 100%

Bono wrote:

The funny part is misterID is you paint me as someone who has been begging for a reunion for 20 years when the fact is I have flown across the continent to see the new Gn'R and even took in the Hammerstein shows. I gave them every opportunity to be Guns N' Roses and they all failed. Axl is NOT Guns N' Roses. You flat out proved my point that you are more an Axl fan rather than a fan of Gn'R the band and what they were. I never questioned your dedication to "Guns N' Roses" but it's clear it was never them you wre a huge fan of. Yes AFD may have meant alot to you but it's Axl you're a fan of.  Your view towards Gn'R would be like me saying I Love U2 but for me Tom Morrello and Les Claypool playing with Bono embodie more what I think U2 should be. That's just ridiculous.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Did I answer this?

Perhaps not.

Answer: Buckethead.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

for the record when I say these things I may word things poorly. I mean no disrespect to anyone. I guess I just fnd it impossible to comprehend how a Guns N' Roses fan who was around durring the original era could ever possibly like anything the new era has to offer more. I mean to say Gn'R with Robin Finck and Buckethead is a more appealing Gn'R then Gn'R with Slash and Izzy just blows my mind.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

DCK

DCK wrote:

I mean no disrespect to anyone. I guess I just fnd it impossible to comprehend how a Guns N' Roses fan who was around durring the original era could ever possibly like anything the new era has to offer more. I mean to say Gn'R with Robin Finck and Buckethead is a more appealing Gn'R then Gn'R with Slash and Izzy just blows my mind.

Here's a few "earth-shattering" examples for you:

I have seen what Slash and Axl could produce. With Axl and Slash in the band until today, they would most likely still try to come up with something better than AFD. Obviously, they would never succeed at the attempt as AFD is a one in a million hit. Considering their personality-crash, it would also come in at a very high price just to produce *something*.

Already seen what they can do, and we can all agree that they never had a line of which pointed upwards in regards to music, but a downhill one ever since AFD was released.

I simply have no belief that Axl, Slash or Izzy could produce or create anything that would top or challenge their AFD work. It's better put to rest as what it was. I see nothing of which I can say "What if" when I see Axl and Slash or Izzy, because "what if" was AFD and some of the Illusions stuff.

I see all of that in Buckethead, however I leave the ghost of AFD behind with an Axl - Bucket cooperation.

As I am of a person more interested in what names can produce togheter, and less what a brand-name can produce, I saw Bucket and Axl as a great oppertunity to see Axl reach new heights with another guitarist, considering Buckets enourmous qualities and talent. I'm sitting with thousands of "what if's" if Bucket and Axl could have continued their work togheter.

Obviously the brand-name Guns N Roses can never reach the quality of AFD. And naturally, CD didn't either, if you look at it that way. However, I never looked at it that way.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Agree with DCK. "Has to offer" opens up things to interpretation, but if Axl were working with Bucket and could have produced some lyrics to something like Notthingham Lace or Soothsayer, it'd quite possibly be the greatest GNR song ever. I already consider Lace and Soothsayer to be two of the best instrumental compositions ever, though it's hard to top Coltrane's A Love Supreme.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I loved the original line up. I was skeptical when Matt came along, but liked what he did on the UYI albums and tours so to me, he was Guns N' Roses' drummer. And the list goes on...

I was broken hearted as all hell when Slash left. Didn't like OMG (love it now, it grew on me), wasn't sure about the new line up after seeing the VMAs. Went to check it out for myself and (as explained in a post above) found guys I viewed to be the attitude, style and presence of Guns N' Roses.

So that's why to me, it's stayed Guns N' Roses and I don't think that needs a label.

This is what amazes me - and russ, you know I like you, so this is in no way a personal attack...I just don't understand the line of thinking at all.

The 2002 lineup in NO WAY had the attitude, style, and presence of GnR.  They were a freak show.  Axl sounded like shit.  The band didn't care about 85% of the music they were playing.  Everything about that band was wrong - I'm not saying they didn't have talent (outside of Finck at that point), but it represented nothing that the original band did.  They were polar opposites of the original band in attitude, style, and presence.

I can see people feeling that way about 2006 (or whatever year they reemerged) even though I disagree - even Finck was more presentable and played the original material better, but I just can't understand how anybody could look at that 2002 lineup and say that they had the attitude, style, and presence of GnR.  I can see liking their own style, I can see liking the freak show even because it's different, but there is no way I can imagine anybody thinking the band was essentially the same as the original band.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:

The funny part is misterID is you paint me as someone who has been begging for a reunion for 20 years when the fact is I have flown across the continent to see the new Gn'R and even took in the Hammerstein shows. I gave them every opportunity to be Guns N' Roses and they all failed. Axl is NOT Guns N' Roses. You flat out proved my point that you are more an Axl fan rather than a fan of Gn'R the band and what they were. I never questioned your dedication to "Guns N' Roses" but it's clear it was never them you wre a huge fan of. Yes AFD may have meant alot to you but it's Axl you're a fan of.  Your view towards Gn'R would be like me saying I Love U2 but for me Tom Morrello and Les Claypool playing with Bono embodie more what I think U2 should be. That's just ridiculous.

And you've been painting me as a non GNR fan... I didn't prove your point at all. You and I differ completely on what era of GNR we like the most. And you've made your stance quite clear, but you seem to be unable to accept anybody elses preferences, or else we wouldn't constantly have these arguments. No one is right or wrong here in what they dig, Bono. My (only) problem with you is that if anyones opinion on GNR doesn't match your own, then you say really stupid shit, like the jarmoesque line "you're not really a fan."

2002 GNR appealed to me much, much more than any other era of GNR. fwiw, when Slash left GNR, hell, when Izzy left GNR, people stopped following the band. Just because of that one member. That doesn't make them any more or less of a fan.

And the U2 thing; you're making a ridiculous imaginary comparison. This GNR is real. They've been playing together for a long time. And the core group of this GNR (Tommy, Dizzy, Chris) have been GNR longer than the old one was. They are GNR to me. No matter how much of an "Axl fan" I am, I probably would stop following GNR all together if Tommy left. My love for the band was hurt by Buckethead leaving, then it was really hurt when Robin left. There's still enough of the GNR I like to keep me interested... For now. And I'm still interested in the new music.

Sky Dog wrote:

Bucket, Robin and Brain really hurt my interest.....but, like I said before, give me 2001...not 2002.

DCK

DCK wrote:

but I just can't understand how anybody could look at that 2002 lineup and say that they had the attitude, style, and presence of GnR.

I wasn't looking for the neither the attitude, style or presence of the former GNR when looking at the 2002 GNR. I saw a band ready to evolve into something else, with a cooperation between two people from freaky different backgrounds in Bucket and Axl, adding another interesting approach from Robin (though his live performances left much to be desired).

I wasn't LOOKING for the old band when watching the NEW band. I was looking for something different. That's why it fitted for me. Axl may have sounded pitched, but I prefer that to his raspy "will-not-last-too-long-before-voice-is-permanently-damaged" voice of 2010.

Fuck, if I want old GNR, I go for old GNR, not watching new GNR and looking for hints, looks and style of the former. What's the point with that?

but if Axl were working with Bucket and could have produced some lyrics to something like Notthingham Lace or Soothsayer, it'd quite possibly be the greatest GNR song ever.

Yes it would be. However, there were only fragments on Chinese of it. TWAT had some, Madagascar had some etc. If Axl actually had put less effort into creating equality and "we will all join in on this effort", and actually just sat down with Bucket alone and created music, it might have gone somewhere. However, when everyone wanted their two-cents in on everything...well.

Board footer