You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: what does Axl/GNR have to, to regain your interest 100%

DCK wrote:

I assure you that the general population doesn't see a guy with a KFC bucket on his head walking down the street and think "that's rock n roll" as they walk past.  I could be wrong since I haven't polled the entire world, but I'll take my chances and stand by my statement.

Which makes him un-qualified as a guitarist in GNR in the end, if I am to belive you correctly. Way to go.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at such blabber.

It's not that you don't have a point. It's just very different from mine. I choose sense of musical style, approach, skills and first and foremost what can provide Axl or GNR with the best type of playing. And Buckethed usually delivered more than either Fortus, Finck, Ashba or Tobias. Buckethead scrapes the floor with all of them. That's enough rock n roll to me. If people choose to disregard him as something that fit in GNR, it's they who can't seperate between music and what clothes to wear.

Like Tommy Lee. I don't consider him as rock n roll first. I consider him as a slut first, a drummer second, and a rock n roller third. Whatever that is. I guess he got tattoes and all.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

I assure you that the general population doesn't see a guy with a KFC bucket on his head walking down the street and think "that's rock n roll" as they walk past.  I could be wrong since I haven't polled the entire world, but I'll take my chances and stand by my statement.

Which makes him un-qualified as a guitarist in GNR in the end, if I am to belive you correctly. Way to go.

Show me where I have EVER said that?  I've never questioned his qualifications, only his fit.  Two completely different things.  I hire people for a living.  People are qualified for a job all the time, but it doesn't mean they are the right fit.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at such blabber.

It's not that you don't have a point. It's just very different from mine. I choose sense of musical style, approach, skills and first and foremost what can provide Axl or GNR with the best type of playing. And Buckethed usually delivered more than either Fortus, Finck, Ashba or Tobias. Buckethead scrapes the floor with all of them. That's enough rock n roll to me. If people choose to disregard him as something that fit in GNR, it's they who can't seperate between music and what clothes to wear.

Completely incorrect, at least in my case.  He did not fit the band musically at all.  One great contribution (a solo) does not trump the rest of his contribution, which was garbage in my opinion.  He co-wrote one of the worst GnR songs ever.  He brought nothing to the table in writing the other songs.  His only positive contribution was the solo in TWAT.  That's it.  THAT makes him not a fit.  I could live with him being a freak if he contributed positively to the music.  He didn't.  End of story.

Like Tommy Lee. I don't consider him as rock n roll first. I consider him as a slut first, a drummer second, and a rock n roller third. Whatever that is. I guess he got tattoes and all.

Not sure what this has to do with anything, but I'd bet you if you took a poll of the general public, Tommy would be viewed as RnR much more than BH.  Not saying that means anything...

Sky Dog wrote:

Sorry is pretty damn good....

Sky Dog wrote:

I'm down with Scraped as well. I am with ya Buzz on Shackler's...completely out of place on the album, lyrically and musically.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I dont think it sounds out of place, the whole album is a smorgasbord of styles, quite brilliant imo.

Psychedelic was a new description that popped into my head the other day when listening to the album for the first time in a while. To me it really is a trip, when you cast your mind back to where you where a song or so ago previously, your poles apart and yet it all fits.

I love it and it hasnt lost its luster smile

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I do think Buckets and almost every other players contributions to the final cut suffered because of so much tinkering, editing, removing and over laying of parts - and not due to lack of any other attribute they brought to the table.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I do think Buckets and almost every other players contributions to the final cut suffered because of so much tinkering, editing, removing and over laying of parts - and not due to lack of any other attribute they brought to the table.

I agree with that 100% and I've said it many times.  These guys weren't given the opportunity to shine - BH included and maybe especially him.  I love some of his other stuff...I have to assume he had the ability to contribute positively, but not the opportunity to do so.

That said, I think his best moments are outside of the confines of a band.  I don't think a true band setting accentuates what he has to offer.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

That said, I think his best moments are outside of the confines of a band.  I don't think a true band setting accentuates what he has to offer.

If it wasn't a democracy of 1, he might have done fine...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't get the hate on Shackler's Revenge.

I think it's the best rocker on the album. 9

Board footer