You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Former Manager Alan Niven Talks Guns N' Roses, Great White, VR, Slash

-D- wrote:

Well Axl did give Richard the job cause remember he saw Richard at the airport or whatever and said he looked just like Izzy....

so......

he has valid points. no videos,band posters etc...... could be a ruse to fool the public.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I agreed with a lot of he said (not the clothing stuff though), but one thing is sure: Niven will never ever get the chance to work for Axl Rose again.

johndivney wrote:

i also agreed with a lot of what he said/says. he definitely does have an axe to grind (or a couple) but who involved in the GnR shitstorm doesn't?

this interview inparticular brings into view a lot of the contradictions of mother goose that have also troubled me for this long time: when axl first spoke of 'branding' in the dexter chats it did kinda make my skin crawl - i always thought axl woulda been man enough to walk away from any situation that was detrimental to his happiness but he seems to have turned the argument on it's head as an artistic endeavour when in reality staying as GnR was financially motivated. axl coulda had great success under his own name or a new band but chose the safety of the GnR brand, which i can understand i just think he'd have gotten more kudos in having the desire & strength to start completely afresh; the point about his lyrics being based on the amount of love he has yet he seemingly spends his days in somewhat glorious isolation 'cause no one understands him; also the comments about his muse being driven by confrontation, which is also a good thing at times but how many don't damn me/scraped/GITR/sorry kinda lyrics do we need at this stage? but by the same token the lyrics of better are fuelled by similar feelings yet transcend the base cause to talk about something much more universal - in way axl's always been an inconsistent lyricist but when he gets it right he's one in a million, but i'd agree with niven by this stage he oughta be more consistent & grandioise, less petty & infantile (altho a lot of the lyrics of those other songs i mentioned are pretty awesome 2 - sorry's playground chorus being actually one of my fave axl moments).
& what he had to say about azoff was pretty otm 2.

but yea he'll never work with axl again.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Jeez this guy still sounds bitter. I love how he bashes Axl for being a bachelor in an attempt to use it as proof Axl is evil.
Kind of ironic that he is attacking Axl for legally securing the name when Axl took that step after finding out Niven was trying to get the other guys in the band to sack him.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

Biased or not, it's interesting to read his take on everything like how he pretty much confirms that Azoff put out CD only to get it out of the way so he could orchestrate a reunion tour. And how Live Like A Suicide was a fake indie release only to build street cred for the band.

Sky Dog wrote:

I do agree with Niven that the real Gnr played it's last gig at Farm Aid. However, the "band" era ended when Izzy left in Nov 1991. Everything after that became the Axl show....:|

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

^^

Agree with that. I've never really understood the whole "Farm Aid" end of GN'R theory. Matt arguably was a technical improvement, still oozed GN'R of the time, and Dizzy just gave them more depth, both in the studio and to duplicate studio material in a live setting.

I always thought that the UYI-studio/1991 band was the best incarnation ever. If I got ahold of the DeLorean, that'd be the band i'd go back in time to see.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

^^

Agree with that. I've never really understood the whole "Farm Aid" end of GN'R theory. Matt arguably was a technical improvement, still oozed GN'R of the time, and Dizzy just gave them more depth, both in the studio and to duplicate studio material in a live setting.

I always thought that the UYI-studio/1991 band was the best incarnation ever. If I got ahold of the DeLorean, that'd be the band i'd go back in time to see.

To each his own ...

Dizzy, Matt, Gilby, Tracy and Roberta, Teddy Zig-Zag ... etc.

By the time the UYI tour was in full swing it was a very different monster.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

dont forget the 976 horn section 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Move To The City...

Ladies and Gentlemen - THE BAND!

(you gotta admit, that band solo was all time!) 9

Gong wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

^^

To each his own ...

Dizzy, Matt, Gilby, Tracy and Roberta, Teddy Zig-Zag ... etc.

By the time the UYI tour was in full swing it was a very different monster.

Yeah and that's not what i'm getting at. The bloated thing was a bit much, and apparently to about all those involved Axl's doing. The scary thing was they actually talked him OUT of alot of stuff. The 1992 band was actually scaled back in Axl's eyes. 18

But that 1991 band, the YCBM video band... come on - that was Guns N' Fuckin' Roses. 3

Board footer