You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Former Manager Alan Niven Talks Guns N' Roses, Great White, VR, Slash

monkeychow wrote:

I just think it's become fasionable to rate Izzy highest in GNR, much like how at film school they'll tell you citizen kane is the best movie ever, and since foo fighters people will talk about how they always thought dave ghrol was the most talented in nirvana.

I read it alot, but I'm not so sure it's true. He's a great songwriter, and he wrote some of the biggest hits but those songs without Slash's amazing playing and Axl's killer voice would be nothing.

Everyone says GNR without Izzy is dead but as much as I love the original line up, you re-do the chinese songs with just slash and Axl, or re-do slash's solo stuff with just he and Axl and I'm sure the results would be dead on GNR as much as anything else ever was.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
ll_tj1 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I've just never understood what's so wrong with the term "hair band".

It's either good or it's not. Fuck what everyone else SAYS you should like.

The term "hairband" is from the massive amounts of bands that got signed in the 1980's, and for the most part is saying there were all the same. Same sound, same look, same "gimmicks" like the first song from your record is "pop rock" type song, followed by a ballad. Look at them all, Trickster, Firehouse, Faster Pussycat, Warrant, Winger, Europe, Nelson, Slaughter, White Lion, Steelheart, Saigon Kick, the list is endless, it was the same shit, just with a slight change here or there. Great White gets lumped in there and so does Tesla, but they weren't in most ways. That why most people dont want to called a Hairband. They were packaged, told what to do, how to look, and how to sound. Thats what makes GNR most definately NOT a hairband. I put them in a category similar to Aerosmith (not present sellout Aerosmith) blues rock n roll!

They're all told how to look and how to sound. Maybe not a GN'R or Metallica in the beginning, but they caved too. And eventually music exec's caved to fighting them, and then in turn started marketing their "edge"/"street" appeal to the max.

I've just always been curious who gets the authority to deem an artist more legit than the next. Look at Mr. Big, they got lumped into the hair band category and they had Paul Gilbert in the band who trained - bucket

Sky Dog wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I just think it's become fasionable to rate Izzy highest in GNR, much like how at film school they'll tell you citizen kane is the best movie ever, and since foo fighters people will talk about how they always thought dave ghrol was the most talented in nirvana.

I read it alot, but I'm not so sure it's true. He's a great songwriter, and he wrote some of the biggest hits but those songs without Slash's amazing playing and Axl's killer voice would be nothing.

Everyone says GNR without Izzy is dead but as much as I love the original line up, you re-do the chinese songs with just slash and Axl, or re-do slash's solo stuff with just he and Axl and I'm sure the results would be dead on GNR as much as anything else ever was.

What big hits outside of Patience did Izzy write? Last I checked, SCOM, PC, WTTJ, Nov Rain, Estranged, Civil War....all lyrics written by Axl and the riffs mainly Slash.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

izzy has writing credits on

SCOM, PC, Patience, YCBM & DC

johndivney wrote:

Don't Cry, Brownstone
who wrote Rocket Queen?

while i agree with the opinion Slash & Axl are enough to make great GnR music, Izzy kept them grounded in accessible immediate r n' b-based rock n roll. neither slash nor axl are able to write those 'simple' solid rock n roll grooves as consistently as izzy, axl & slash's strengths lie more in creating epic stadium-sized songs - SCOM is the most typical recognizable/poppy kinda thing slash wrote on AFD & even that was mostly unintentional.
but for most of the people who say that GnR died with izzy it's a cop-out & the kind of thing people say to be cool, 'cause izzy was obv the coolest in the band ('cause he was the quietest & didn't give people much to dislike him for). they forged a singular identity & while that was down to the shared vision of the main guys, axl & slash's attributed were/are definitely the defining features of GnR & give them their individuality - if izzy had been in charge & axl not a control freak with grand ideas GnR woulda ended up like the new york dolls (not that that's a bad thing, but y'know GnR are more like the stones n zeppelin due to axl/slash that's what i'm sayin')

izzy didn't play on locomotive did he? the writing musta been on the wall for him for some time that his place in the band wasn't significant - his guitar parts on the UYI are definitely nowhere near the levels & interaction as on AFD. & he musta never cared to try to wrestle back some creative - or otherwise - control. a shame 'cause i do think his presence & vibe are missed. that's not to say i don't believe something like Shackler's Revenge wouldn't have made a GnR album if izzy was still in the band - even when izzy was there axl had already begun to do whatever axl wanted, on album & elsewhere - but there'd definitely be a lot more blues & groovier rock n roll.

ftr - TAY is maybe my fave AFD tune. i've noticed it gets a bit poo-poo'd on here but 4 me it's everything great about that record inside 4mins..

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Alan Niven wrote:

We don’t want to deal with things that are ugly. We don’t want to deal with things that are denigrating to women.

Has there ever been a more pussy-whipped quote in the history of Rock and Roll?  AFD and UYI would be rejected under that criteria. 17

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Actually ALL society does is degrade women, starting from the very beginning.

Like supporting a girl at 16 who's gonna become a cheerleader, who's just taught that sex and skimpy outfits is what she's good for, and not the A+ honor student who's skipped over.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

society degrades women who ask to be degraded. Women have the world by the balls right now and men are being demasculated at an increasing rate. c'mon now.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Perhaps.  But I think you're underestimating the gender inequality issues that women still face in the workplace.  It's more likely that society rewards style over substance.  I mean what exactly have Kim Karadashian or Paris Hilton ever done that is noteworthy?  I don't count starring in sex tapes as noteworthy.  And yet they get 5,000x press coverage than some woman who actually does something good in the world.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh I totally agree that males are being demasculated, I just also feel we brainwash girls at a very very young age.

So your term of "ask to be degraded", well if you are convinced by 14 that what the Bud Light commercial told you, that to be accepted you need to get into a bikini top and a thong and get drunk, and even our males are brainwashed to only accept those girls, then yes they asked for it.

It's just a shame to see people waste their lives in shit like that, convinced they are on the cusp of cutting edge society.

Board footer