You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Why Dave Navarro Didn't Join Guns N' Roses

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah but most of them only step outside of the standard rock paradigm because they can't cut it inside the box.

For example..bottom line to me is GNR could have covered any Nirvana track if they chose to but no-one in nirvana could sing or play anything off AFD. They'd have no hope. Yet nirvana has to go talk shit about GNR when they can't even hold a candle to the musical ability. And i say that as a person who enjoys nirvana tracks. It's jealously talking. The exception to this rule is Chris Cornell who has got some game.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah but most of them only step outside of the standard rock paradigm because they can't cut it inside the box.

I disagree with this wholeheartedly. And for your example, you pick GNR and Nirvana, which is taking one of the best bands of rock, GNR, against one of the weakest performance groups of the alternative scene. And you judge them exclusively on performance. Writing counts too, and that's Nirvana's, well, only strength.

And even so, could GNR have achieved the right balance for alternative music? Could they play with the right accents, the right subtleties? Who knows. The vocalists and lead guitarists from 80s bands could probably do a better job of the notes and rhythms than could alternative players trying 80s music, but there's so much more to music than that. The alternative movement had significantly better drummers and bass players, and singers who put more into emoting that hitting clean high notes.

And that's really what that movement was all about. Expanding the scope of music to include textures and transitions and subtleties and ensemble playing.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i dont hink its anything to do with styles of music or anything like thast, more about addictions and health of them all back then, izzy left, steven was fired. last thing that slash or navarro needed was to feed off each other's heroin addiction

one or both probably wouldve died

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Jane's Addiction were a lone deviating sound from 80s rock in the LA scene of the 80s. Gotta give them some respect for being out there and not doing the typical glam thing.

If you want to slam the alternative scene for its unnecessarily agitated stance on 80s rock, fine, but don't pretend it had nothing to offer. None of the rock bands outside of that movement were going to write '3 Days' or 'Then She Did' - Jane's did some great stuff. So did Smashing Pumpkins. So did Blind Melon (hey, it's me, of course I was gonna give Melon a shout out).

Grunge had a lot of bands that were only different from bands like GNR in superficial ways, but a bunch of those alternative groups were able to step outside the standard rock paradigm, at least for a few songs or a whole album, and do some really cool stuff.

I have never ever felt alternative or grunge had nothing to offer. AIC is my #2 artist of all-time. I obviously have some mad respect for the genre. Granted they super popular, so it's not exactly an underground act, but because of my love for them, I had more of an openness and respect for lesser known acts, when I did not play the "GN'R rulz, Crue rox, fuck grunge" card.

I also like(d) Jane's Addiction. But I just always felt at the end of the day, it's still rock n' fuckin' roll. I can understand shitting on Poison or Bon Jovi for being "made in a producer's office", but still it's a genre. Just shut up and play good music.

The only ones who played the "artist" card was alternative, which is lame within itself. It reaked of insecurity which monkey hit dead on. I think Dee Snider was the one who said, "Unplug? Let's see Paul Simon plug into two marshall amps and ride the lightning!" If anything hair & hard rock showed technical prowess, while alternative showed uniqueness. It was like the Winona Ryder of rock music. Hot, but for different reasons. But their insecurity leaked through, when the Winona's basically have to trash the Stephanie Seymour's to make themselves feel prettier.

That's what was happening, while most fans of rock I knew then and now, had their copies of Use Your Illusion I & II and the Black Album sitting right beside their copies of Dirt & Nevermind. We thought they were both hot. 9

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Great post.

Board footer