You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Vote Ask MusicRadar: who is the greatest lead singer of all time?

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

In alot of ways, one could argue that the Freddie tribute show was really Queen's last big hurrah. 1992 saw a big resurgence in all things Queen after Freddie's death, even Bohemian Rhapsody I believe charted again in both the U.S. & U.K., and their compliation sets were selling like hotcakes (GH I & II, Classic Queen), plus Roger & Brian were doing TONS of press talking about the ordeal and the last few years of the band.

Freddie's death was probably their last hurrah.

I don't know if I buy that. Freddie wasn't physically involved so... also Bohemian Rhapsody charted due to completely unrelated circumstances. It was featured in Wayne's Wolrd so...  I find it hard to say someone's death was their last big hurrah. The tribute show was like a going away party I understand that but the Johnny Cash tribute wasn't his last big hurrah. Simply a way for others to pay respect.  Although maybe that is everyone's last big hurrah. Kinda unfair to pinpoint when or if a band ever really does have one. 

Axlin wrote:

Freddie still alive, was probably the Wembley 1986 show. Queen returned to Wembley to perform a legendary show that saw the band at it's finest, and Freddie also. The "A Kind of Magic" European tour would sadly be their last, as Freddie was diagnosed in 1987 and by The Miracle's release in 1989 was no longer in shape to perform tours, plus they were hiding his condition from the tabloids in England.

I wasn't really old enough to catch the whole Queen era. I wish I was, maybe I'd enjoy thier music more who knows. Just never been able to get into them. Would've been interesting to see how they would have evolved had Freddie not gotten sick.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Queen were the first big rock band I got into, and it was because of how big they were in the eighties. I was too young to really get into Live Aid, although Do You Know Its Christmas Time was the first record I ever owned, I got it on Christmas day that year.
Live at Wembley 86 was huge though, it was broadcast on TV here and I remember watching that. I've still got the original broadcast that my folks taped on betamax, me and my brother used to watch it every rainy day.

These Are The Days Of Our Lives was released at the time of Freddies death in 1991 and went to number 1, Bohemian Rhapsody was a b-side.
It wasnt until 92 and Waynes World that Bohemiam Rhapsody had its real resurgance, with the revamped video featuring clips from Waynes World.

[youtube]_7PwJ_8HF4g&feature=fvst[/youtube]

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Yeah i don't agree with Freddie being the only one to tell the crowd "Fuck You" and still get cheered.

Axl keeps em waiting for hours till they are ready to riot and when he comes out, he wins them over to the point they forget they waited for 2 hours.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … nt=Twitter
AXL ROSE Is 'Greatest Lead Singer Of All Time,' According To New Poll - Dec. 8, 2010
GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose has been voted the greatest lead singer of all time by readers of MusicRadar.com, ahead of such legendary vocalists as Freddy Mercury, Robert Plant, Ronnie James Dio, John Lennon and Bruce Dickinson.

MusicRadar.com says: "The public have spoken. Forget the caricature of recent years and think back to the late 1980s — he was dangerous, lean, angry, confrontational, and controversial. The hotheaded, horny ginger stepchild of Steven Tyler and Robert Plant, a born rock star who made being fashionably late a lifestyle choice and started riots in the process."

MusicRadar.com's 30 greatest lead singers of all time:

01. Axl Rose (GUNS N' ROSES)
02. Freddie Mercury (QUEEN)
03. Robert Plant (LED ZEPPELIN)
04. Ronnie James Dio (BLACK SABBATH, HEAVEN & HELL, RAINBOW, ELF)
05. John Lennon (THE BEATLES)
06. Bruce Dickinson (IRON MAIDEN)
07. Thom Yorke (RADIOHEAD)
08. Kurt Cobain (NIRVANA)
09. Matt Bellamy (MUSE)
10. Paul McCartney (THE BEATLES)
11. Jim Morrison (THE DOORS)
12. James Hetfield (METALLICA)
13. Maynard James Keenan (TOOL, A PERFECT CIRCLE)
14. Mick Jagger (THE ROLLING STONES)
15. James LaBrie (DREAM THEATER)
16. Bon Scott (AC/DC)
17. Steven Tyler (AEROSMITH)
18. Roger Daltrey (THE WHO)
19. Geddy Lee (RUSH)
20. Morrissey
21. Liam Gallagher (OASIS)
22. Jack White (THE WHITE STRIPES)
23. Joe Strummer (THE CLASH)
24. Stevie Nicks (FLEETWOOD MAC)
25. Iggy Pop (THE STOOGES)
26. Smokey Robinson
27. Black Francis / Frank Black
28. Diana Ross
29. Debbie Harry (BLONDIE)
30. Martha Reeves

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

No Bono or Eddie Vedder = the list is pure garbage.  Also as James mentioned no Chris Cornell either. Kurt Cobain #8 all time(gimme a break) and Bono, Vedder and Cornell not even on the list? roll  I don't expect Bono or Eddie Vedder to be #1 and #2 or even top ten or 20 but the fact they aren't even on the list and weren't even eligable to vote for means this poll lacks some serious credibility. I'm surprised Axl is #1 to be honest. I find it strange he'd get enough casual votes. Kinda cool that he came out on top though cause honestly I'd never see that coming when allowing people to vote.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The list lost all credibility when Kurt fucking Cobain was ranked higher than Paul McCartney, Jim Morrison, James Hetfield, Mick Jagger, James LaBrie, Bon Scott, Steven Tyler, Roger Daltrey, Geddy Lee, Stevie Nicks, SMOKEY FUCKING ROBINSON... jesus...

Cobain couldn't even cover most of those guys songs half-good. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but vocalist he wasn't. That was left to Chris, Layne, Eddie, and hell even Jerry.

Agreed... where's Bono & Eddie?

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Vedder sucks. Cornell is the real snub here.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Vedder does suck, but he's STILL better than Cobain.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Vedder does suck, but he's STILL better than Cobain.

Touché. 16

Board footer