You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Re: Vote Ask MusicRadar: who is the greatest lead singer of all time?

Naltav wrote:

Pearl Jam and U2 are great bands with great classic songs. I'll bet that's what the avarage music fan thinks of when those bands are mentioned. Not so much the "outstanding vocal performances" over the years...

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Naltav wrote:

Pearl Jam and U2 are great bands with great classic songs. I'll bet that's what the avarage music fan thinks of when those bands are mentioned. Not so much the "outstanding vocal performances" over the years...

Bono's voice is damn good, especially the passion he puts into it.

Vedder? 16

Naltav

Naltav wrote:

No doubt Bono is a good singer. But this poll is to vote the greatest lead singer of all time. To me, Bono's voice is instantly recognisable. But it's because of those well known songs, not so much Bono's talent as a singer. Which is prolly the reason he was left out of the poll.

Had the poll been "greatest frontman", his name should've been there. Not that I would vote for him, but I can see his talent in that department.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Naltav wrote:

No doubt Bono is a good singer. But this poll is to vote the greatest lead singer of all time. To me, Bono's voice is instantly recognisable. But it's because of those well known songs, not so much Bono's talent as a singer. Which is prolly the reason he was left out of the poll.

Had the poll been "greatest frontman", his name should've been there. Not that I would vote for him, but I can see his talent in that department.

This makes zero sense. Bono has more range and vocal ability than half(maybe more) the guys on that list.

Naltav

Naltav wrote:

Not sure range is most important when it comes to determin a singer's talent.

I think flow and rhythm are equally as imortant, if not more.
Watched a TV-show about Sinatra once, and he was widely praised amung his peers for his talent. He had an amazing ability to sing "off-beat" but still manage to "catch up" at the end of every verse or chorus. And still make it sound wonderfull!

Hitting those high notes is something a lot of good singers can do with ease.
Having a voice that is unique and doing something out of the ordinary, that is talent.

Every good singer can sing a good song and make it sound good.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

evryone has their own preferences...i'd bet if 20 different peopel on this site picked their 20 favorite singers then we'd have 20 different lists

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

True, but Bono really is a legend. U2 are the Stones of their generation, yet seemingly are ignored when these lists are compiled.

However...

In "in general's" defense to Bono (the poster), U2's music although diverse, can have a tendency to kind of blend together at times, thus the reason Bono doesn't really have specific memorable vocal performances or Edge guitar solos for that matter, and I think it's that reason that U2 is largely ignored with these lists.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

In "in general's" defense to Bono (the poster), U2's music although diverse, can have a tendency to kind of blend together at times, thus the reason Bono doesn't really have specific memorable vocal performances or Edge guitar solos for that matter, and I think it's that reason that U2 is largely ignored with these lists.

Uh oh, I predict fanboy rage in response to this. 18 14

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

all you gotta do is listen to Pride(In the name of Love), Lemon, Sometimes you can't make it on your own, Miss Sarajevo(live in 2010) just to name a few of the top of my head to realize Bono has some great and unique vocal performances.  His voice is distinct has more soul and passion than argueably anyone on the list but whatever he was left off the list cause maybe they were affraid he'd win.  tongue

Board footer