You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Vote Ask MusicRadar: who is the greatest lead singer of all time?

-D- wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
-D- wrote:

Show me one post where I ever said Cornell sucks. I did nothing but praise why I completely understand people who think he is great, only he isn't my cup of tea.

i put  him in the Bono category.. he has something to his voice that just is nails onchalkboard for me.. i can't listen.

Chris Cornell is horrible.....

You've made other negative statements but asked for one. Consider that second one a bonus.

Still think there is a difference but i have came around to him somewhat since saying he was horrible. I'd like to see the entire thing so i can remember exactly in what context i was speaking.

I still don't fault others if they think he is the greatest. I can hear in his ability that people would think he is amazing, but for me, he isn't the first amazing singer i just couldn't get into.

Mercury for me is hard to judge simply because Queen songs were so overplayed that I never got to emotionally connect to a lot of them. I watched a Queen Concert on VH1 Classic, and yeah Freddie no doubt was amazing.

Freddie, and this will sound crazy/stupid, is almost too perfect. In concert, I like a little flaw, i like a little offness here and there, it kind of adds to the energy/experience. I enjoy great vocals but i don't always like feeling like im listening to the CD when i go to a concert. Axl adds a rawness to the CD version that makes it different enough.

Plus Axl just looks way cooler onstage imo. He looks like a pitbull that was fed gunpowder for 2 months and right before the show someone opened the cage. intensity puts him over the top.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Forgive me for a nutswinger post, but I've never seen another singer with the stage presence of Axl. There's something so intense about him, you just can't look away.

-D-

-D- wrote:

^
Giant reason I think the new band seems "Off" at times. When Axl leaves the stage now, U notice it, intensity,energy drops during the solo spots when use to Axl was dancing,running,jumping like a maniac, now he is in the back and the solos lose a bit of that overall fire.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Freddie did get a tad raspy at the end of shows when his voice would tire. But rarely did he show vocal flaws live.

That's part of the reason I ranked Freddie higher than Axl, because Axl has some vocal inconsistency live (not range, unlike some think), which are some points deducted from Axl.

Mercury was THE showman imo. If any youngster asked me "what's a rock star?" I'd show them the Wembley 1986 Queen show, and say THAT guy - Freddie Mercury - THAT is a rock star. It's everything it ever was, should be, and ever will be that embodies the role of rock star and rock frontman.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

^Giant reason I think the new band seems "Off" at times. When Axl leaves the stage now, U notice it, intensity,energy drops during the solo spots when use to Axl was dancing,running,jumping like a maniac, now he is in the back and the solos lose a bit of that overall fire.

This almost happens with every great frontman. Thats' why they're called frontmen. Most people are drawn to them first. If they leave the stage energy will drop and a lot of fans are then not sure what or who to focus on.  I see it at U2 concerts as well when Bono dissapears people start looking for him. Even diehards Edge fans tend to focus on Bono. Frontmen are the storytellers of the show, the musicians create the landscape of that story. The people are one with the "landscape"(music) yet their energy is focused on the storyteller(frontman) if that makes sense.

negative karma me if that's a bit too cheesey 16

-D- wrote:

Plus Axl just looks way cooler onstage imo. He looks like a pitbull that was fed gunpowder for 2 months and right before the show someone opened the cage. intensity puts him over the top.

In my opinion this WAS Axl. It's not anymore. His stage presence is severly lacking at this stage in his career COMPARED to how HE was back in the day. He did have that cool factor but honestly does Axl look all that cool anymore? His moves do come off as geriatric at times now. Axl's still great and his voice lately has been top notch but in my opinion his "it" factor is extremely diminished. Let's be honest Axl hasn't kept his stage presence over the years the way say Mick Jagger has or Steven Tyler has or in my biased opinion Bono has. Axl in his prime wins hands down but he's not the best stage performer anymore.  That's partially his own doing though. He was so aggressive when he was younger but now he's not.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Mercury was THE showman imo. If any youngster asked me "what's a rock star?" I'd show them the Wembley 1986 Queen show, and say THAT guy - Freddie Mercury - THAT is a rock star. It's everything it ever was, should be, and ever will be that embodies the role of rock star and rock frontman.

You could show them the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and point to Axl Rose and say the exact same thing. wink

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ I dunno...to me the thing about Axl is that he can hold his own it seems no matter what. Like in 2000, no peformance in half a decade or something, comes out with bizzare outfit, unusal hair for a white guy, something odd going on with his voice,  wierd looking band to the point where I was kinda shocked, yet still he's so damn watchable.

Then in 1991, why as a man do I want to watch a dude run around in bike shorts, and a kilt? Surely kilts are only for the scotts amongst us, don't start me on the boa. Even here in laid back Australia, i'd be killed for wearing an outfit half that bizzare on the sreet, but Axl totally owned it and god help me it kinda worked for him.

Then today. Not sure the hat suits him really, and he's heavier than he was, and it's not the same band and there's 100 other things we could take aim at. But I watch the opening of that leads show where he starts to scream out the "you're gunna die" and I'm instantly sold again. There's just somethign about him to me that makes him a watchable front man - even when he's doing stuff that we don't approve of etc.

This might be controversal. But one of the few people i've also felt that star power of is also slash. Maybe it's just cos I was having a man crush on him having learnt guitar basiclly because of him. But I think there's a sort of a freaky vibe around slash too. It's not so much the hat or the outfit, or the playing, though of course that's good, but it's like an auroa that I think he has. Maybe it's cos he's been famous his whole life almost? I dunno. But slash has it, and so does Axl.

I think it's one thing that made old gnr so deadly. I mean all of old GNR were great - duff is uber cool, izzy is a songmaster, steven is pure rock etc...but most bands have one demi-god type person in them, and GNR was packing two in slash and Axl.

So i dunno, to me it's like the age doesn't weary them. I mean you look at slash now and he cant run like he used to. And you look at Axl now and he doesn't look 25 anymore. But the presence is still about them, even in their individual bands these days, there's just something magic about those guys. Not to get into the song quoting, but I do think it really is just that "you're one in a million" type thing. Probably 1 in a lot more even.

Well i'm starting to scare myself with my Axl/Slash lovefest...so I'll end this post!

-D-

-D- wrote:

Yeah Bono but it isn't necessarily fair. I am not a u2 fan as heavily documented, so i have to rely on your expertise, did Bono perform a physically active set like Axl? All the sprinting,jumping,spinning etc? Age definitely has a way of stripping that ability. Tack on Axl hasn't taken care of himself physically, and yeah, now he is in an oxygen chamber or what have you and kind of picks his spots.

Others, like Jon bon Jovi hide their age by now playing guitar to keep them planted to the mic stand

I can't argue against Mercury. I saw that Wembley show like I said a month or so ago and was blown completely away.

Axl though as i stated just goes back to that intensity. When i see Axl perform, i feel like I am watching a guy exercising his demons,heartbreak and pain right in front of my eyes. its just magical. Axl is the one guy, when i watch a boot or what not, it makes me want to get up and do something. If u are ever training for a marathon or just trying to get into shape, put on an old GNR boot while u run or do cardio... it is fantastic.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

You could show them the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and point to Axl Rose and say the exact same thing. wink

I could also show them that Live Aid '85 performance by Queen, that is LEGEN--DARY! Freddie just has them in the palm of his hands.

Honestly, you're completely right about Axl at the Tribute Show. I wouldn't have felt that way had it been the performances backed by Queen, but earlier when he comes out with Guns, and just takes total control of that Wembley audience like no other artist that night, and I mean NO OTHER artist that night. No one controlled that crowd like Axl.

Few men can do that, very few men. I don't even think Tyler could do it, and Plant didn't do it that night either. I'm thinking Mercury, Rose & Bono.

Bono

Bono wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Then in 1991, why as a man do I want to watch a dude run around in bike shorts, and a kilt? Surely kilts are only for the scotts amongst us, don't start me on the boa. Even here in laid back Australia, i'd be killed for wearing an outfit half that bizzare on the sreet, but Axl totally owned it and god help me it kinda worked for him.

It's because he had that Axl Rose "it" factor. That's what I mean when I say he doesn't have that going for him today in the same way he did back then. Nobody wanted to see him in a kilt or in bike shorts back then but it didn't matter cause he had "it". If he came out looking like that today it would likely be a big issue. I mean in 1991 he wore mesh shirts and leather kilts and he was fucking cool. In 2001 he wore jerseys and track pants and he looked like a fool. I can't explain the difference other than he lost a lot of his "it" coolness and he definately can't go back to the old style cause then he'd look like a parody of himself.  16  Someone like  Mick Jagger on the other hand can still get away with cut off belly shirts and to be politically incorrect fruity looking outfits on stage. It's cause he's still got his Mick Jagger "it" factor going in full force. That's just my take on it.

moneychow wrote:

This might be controversal. But one of the few people i've also felt that star power of is also slash. Maybe it's just cos I was having a man crush on him having learnt guitar basiclly because of him. But I think there's a sort of a freaky vibe around slash too. It's not so much the hat or the outfit, or the playing, though of course that's good, but it's like an auroa that I think he has. Maybe it's cos he's been famous his whole life almost? I dunno. But slash has it, and so does Axl.!

I absolutely agree 100% When I saw VR I was drawn to Slash in such an insane way. Could not take my eyes off the dude. His presence was incredible. I'm not saying Axl doesn't have it anymore,  just not in spades like he once did. Slash on the other hand still has it and then some.

-D- wrote:

Yeah Bono but it isn't necessarily fair. I am not a u2 fan as heavily documented, so i have to rely on your expertise, did Bono perform a physically active set like Axl? All the sprinting,jumping,spinning etc? Age definitely has a way of stripping that ability. Tack on Axl hasn't taken care of himself physically, and yeah, now he is in an oxygen chamber or what have you and kind of picks his spots..

Nah Bono has never been as frantic on stage as Axl, not even close but Bono gets around. He definately doesn't stand in one spot.This performance form 2001 is pretty much typical Bono over the last decade although on this last European tour he wasn't doing too, too much as he just had serious back surgery so... age gets them all eventually.

Board footer