You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Vote Ask MusicRadar: who is the greatest lead singer of all time?

tejastech08 wrote:
madagas wrote:

Uh, no.

Sky Dog wrote:

bah humbug.....it is the performance that blew U2 up. My favorite U2 song as well. Just got a soft spot for it.

Sky Dog wrote:

oh...and Bono's Irish Mullet is classic! lol

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Gotta admit I got a chuckle out of that CLASSIC mullet. But Freddie's 'stache owns all. 16

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Gotta admit I got a chuckle out of that CLASSIC mullet. But Freddie's 'stache owns all. 16

Speakin of a stache!
I wonder if Freddies stache of yesterday is Axls inspiration for that thing he wears on his face. 14

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl looks more like he's channeling early-era James Hetfield. 16

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

^^early era James

james-hetfield.jpg&t=1

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I think you could make an arguement for both Queen and U2 that night.  Queen was the established heavyweight and despite it not being a "Queen crowd" that crowd definately knew the songs Queen was playing. So yeah there was probably that sense Queen was stealing the show but again the reaction to their performance, despite how amazing it was, was based largely on the familiarity of the songs. Honestly it doesn't matter how incredible you are the crowd isn't reacting to you that way if they don't knw the songs. Still I have no arguem,ent against the notion that they stol the show. It looks to me as though they did.

U2 on the other hand weren't at that level yet and they performed Bad, a song that most people had never heard and to be honest have still never heard. It's never been a  single.  Just as there was a sense among the acts backstage that Queen was stealing the show going by intervies I've heard and read there was an equal sense that they witnessing  a "changing of the guard" when it came to the worlds biggest band. 

That night I believe was Queens last big hooray(correct me if I'm wrong) whereas that was U2's big coming out party. It was U2's most important performance of their career and everyone seemed to know it as it was happening.  Everyone except Bono that is. He thought he'd blown it because U2 didn't have time to perform Pride(their hit single at the time) after his antics in the crowd.  I think the band almost broke up right after this before cooler heads prevailed.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

In alot of ways, one could argue that the Freddie tribute show was really Queen's last big hurrah. 1992 saw a big resurgence in all things Queen after Freddie's death, even Bohemian Rhapsody I believe charted again in both the U.S. & U.K., and their compliation sets were selling like hotcakes (GH I & II, Classic Queen), plus Roger & Brian were doing TONS of press talking about the ordeal and the last few years of the band.

Freddie's death was probably their last hurrah.

Freddie still alive, was probably the Wembley 1986 show. Queen returned to Wembley to perform a legendary show that saw the band at it's finest, and Freddie also. The "A Kind of Magic" European tour would sadly be their last, as Freddie was diagnosed in 1987 and by The Miracle's release in 1989 was no longer in shape to perform tours, plus they were hiding his condition from the tabloids in England.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Here's a great video that demostrated their last memorable performance.

Once again Freddie had Wembley in the palm of his hands. Only Freddie could tell Wembley Stadium "fuck you" and be met with applause. 14

[youtube]kXOOwNS2qk0&feature=related[/youtube]

Board footer