You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Epic journey of disaster

DCK wrote:
johndivney wrote:

2 be fair DCK has a point. the infastructure in the UK for dealing with a relatively small bit of ice & snow is insanely bad. there are hundreds of towns & cities all over the world which endure a lot heavier snow & ice than even the most extreme cases like what we're experiencing at the minute yet life in those other places has adapted. here everything grinds to a standstill & places which do have heavy snowfall are completely correct to laugh at the idiocy & immature reactions people in the UK have to the weather.

obv the UK with it's vastly differing seasonal climate can't be run like norway or chicago etc but the measures in place are laughably out of date & insufficient to such an extent that the only excuse is that the idiots are running the show.

This is what I basically heard from everyone I spoke to.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Idiots have been running the show forever, only now the idiots have to operate on a relatively shoe-string budget.
I think the airports were closed also because, lets say the airports did just soldier on and battle against the weather, what if there was a serious accident and the emergency services cant get access to and from the airport because all the roads are gridlocked?

I agree its farcical, but the farce that is "Great Britain" goes far and beyond not being able to cope with heavy snow.
For example, the other month there my dad was in hospital for a serious emergency operation and it took a whole week for someone to get him a fucking lightbulb for his bedside lamp. Thats trivial compared to the lacklustre, wreckless and careless "care" he got from the NHS during the whole ordeal. And it all boils down to lack of resources, investment and funding and a completely demoralised workforce.
And the good news is...for the forseeable future things are going to get even worse.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
DCK wrote:

We have equipment. We spray the runways with salt or other ice fixing liquids I assume, and also use plows. We also de-ice any flight departing the airport. In March 09 I took off in what you might call a snow blizzard, and all we did was wait for 10 minutes while the machines de-iced the airplane for snow and ice and off we went.

There are absolutely no problem keeping either roads or runways open with a bit of tools at hand. I must say I am extremely proud of Oslo Airport and their punctuality of flights considering the weather they have to work with for 6 months each year.

That was the most frustrating part. To know that there are technology at hand to deal with it, technology that has been there basially since the 50's or 60's.

But they all, like you, give the excuse concerning the government. The gov doesn't invest because it's cheaper not to. I think it's hilarious. The tip of Scotland are well beyond the southern tip of Norway, and you still don't invest in anything to handle anything under freezing point. I was up at Loch Ness on Saturday, and I counted only ONE car on winter tires. The weather was crisp, and cold. Just like a normal winter day in Norway. To drive around on summer tires is like a tragic comedy unfolding in front of my eyes.

Well done cunt, you got warm boots. Well done your nation of pussies is a true shining  light

Lol dude you try to hard.

johndivney wrote:

yea well let's not get started on the NHS.. the world is going 2 hell![/grumpy old man post]

DCK

DCK wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Idiots have been running the show forever, only now the idiots have to operate on a relatively shoe-string budget.
I think the airports were closed also because, lets say the airports did just soldier on and battle against the weather, what if there was a serious accident and the emergency services cant get access to and from the airport because all the roads are gridlocked?

I agree its farcical, but the farce that is "Great Britain" goes far and beyond not being able to cope with heavy snow.
For example, the other month there my dad was in hospital for a serious emergency operation and it took a whole week for someone to get him a fucking lightbulb for his bedside lamp. Thats trivial compared to the lacklustre, wreckless and careless "care" he got from the NHS during the whole ordeal. And it all boils down to lack of resources, investment and funding and a completely demoralised workforce.
And the good news is...for the forseeable future things are going to get even worse.

I heard one story from Edinburgh. A passenger jet was taxing out on the runway when the captain came on the speakers saying he didn't want to take off, as the conditions looked too bad. So, the airport Im sure did push it as far as they could, when even airline captains decide not to take off!

As far as NHS, we did some dealings with them too while in Scotland, and the treatment my wife got was very good. We did have an issue with the hotline though, as we called first once, then a second and then a third time (because they told us too) and each time she had to explain the problem all over. A bit odd. The nurse at the hospital was very nice though, and the hospital looked just as nice as any other I've seen.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

@DCK there no need to gloat, and worse no need to blame a nation for the mistakes of their leaders in the middle of financial meltdown. Have fuckin heart and keep the national ego bs to  a minimum it's a one way road

DCK

DCK wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

@DCK there no need to gloat, and worse no need to blame a nation for the mistakes of their leaders in the middle of financial meltdown. Have fuckin heart and keep the national ego bs to  a minimum it's a one way road

If you don't have anything of interest to post rather than childish and immature statements, then don't say anything at all.

Hurt your national pride did I? Bu-hu.

I'm an anglophile all the way through.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Snowing again today, spent the afternoon shovelling out people's cars in my street.
I was watching the news and looking at footage of people in cars skidding and wheelspinning their way to work and got me thinking how odd it must look to a foreigner who's used to everyone just fitting their winter tyres as the year draws to a close.

Fact is, winter tyres are a completely foreign concept to us, I dont know anyone who has ever mentioned the possibility of buying some, never mind actually seeing anyone using them.
Its just not part of our culture, I've never seen them advertised on TV or in magazines, newspapers etc, and I've never heard anyone recommend them when they are dishing out all this winter travel safety advice on the news. Its like they just dont exist.

DCK

DCK wrote:

It's very strange indeed, but keep in mind..summer tires on wintery conditions are deadly dangerous. Don't drive unless the roads are alright. We never go out on those tires if theres a hint of snow.

You could always purchase some in France perhaps, and just drive em home, but you got that dilemma again..is it worth the investment?

Anyway, it's bitterly cold here...-20 or so. All the time. It's the weirdest winter I have ever witnessed. The temperature is -15 lower than what is normal. It's SO dry and high pressures are dropping in all the time. It's crazy.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

I cant decide if its worth the investment, plus I'd have the extra headache of storing another 4 tyres.

There was something on the news about how the Western Isles of Scotland had escaped the snow but people were commenting on how dry and cold its been.
Its been a very dry year here, up until March we were stuck in a permafrost, then we had a drought in early summer. It was early autumn before we had any real long periods of rainfall. The last 3 summers we have had extreme rainfall, it was a nightmare for me as I work outside and it made many jobs impossible. It was such a relief to escape the rain this summer, but last year was an extreme winter and this one is shaping up to be another.
Climate change is real, whatever the cause, and we're living in a time of big change. Pity those people who bearing the full brunt of it in other parts of the world.

Board footer