You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Wiki Leaks

Assanage lost all credibility when he threatened to realse certain documents if he was arrested.  If he really was interested in transparency, he wouldn't hold anything as collateral in case he gets fucked.  The guy is an attention seeking whore who lives in fantasia.  That being said, I don't think he's a criminal (though in all honesty I haven't put too much thought into the issue) and the idea of the US somehow prosecuting him is laughable.  If the US can punish those in the media (even those who fit that title loosely such as wikileaks) what's to stop them from declaring every govt doct confidential.  If the US isn't going to prosecute the editor of the NY Times, I see no justification to prosecute Assanage.  The only true criminal thus far in any of this is Bradley Manning, and I'd volunteer to be on his firing squad.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Yeah, we're a few. But I guess the reason is our government has taken "bread and circus" to a whole new level over here. Scandinavia is basically a free lunch.

I'm kind of ignorant to whether Iceland is considered officially part of Scandinavia and wikipedia isn't too sure either.

But either way. I thought you should see this Pol. Especially you after how you were talking earlier

There is only ONE link to this whole thing online ONE!!!! O'm gonna re blog it on my tumblr account, just to keep it up somewhere and yeah. Here is the full thing man big_smile

Iceland takes on credit card giants in WikiLeaks flap

+    
Representatives from Mastercard and Visa were called before a parliamentary committee to explain the credit companies’ refusal to process donations to the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks.
“People wanted to know on what legal grounds the ban was taken, but no one could answer it,” said Robert Marshall, chairman of Iceland’s allsherjanefnd, according to the Reykjavik Grapevine.
Vidar Thorkelsson, CEO of Valitor, which operates Visa and Mastercard in Iceland, said the Icelandic branch had nothing to do with the decision.
Meanwhile, DataCell, the Icelandic-Swiss web host is reporting that donations to Wikileaks have increased in recent days, despite the actions of Mastercard and Visa. The web host has been processing direct bank transfers to help facilitate the donations.
“The credit card companies are just not a part of the transfers,” said Olafur V. Sigurvinsson, a co-founder of DataCell, in an article on the website IceNews.is.Sigurvinsson went on to say people are upset over the credit card companies’ heavy-handed approach.
“It is simply a human rights organization with freedom of speech at its core and there are lots of people who have Visa cards and want to spend their money supporting exactly this issue. It is understandably irritating when some credit card company somewhere decides what you are allowed to spend your money on. Will they ba us from buying chocolate next?” Sigurvinsson said.
The company is planning legal action against the credit card giants, and Sigurvinsson said that several lawyers have stepped forward offering their services for free

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/3 … z17yRhwhHl

Assanage lost all credibility when he threatened to realse certain documents if he was arrested.  If he really was interested in transparency, he wouldn't hold anything as collateral in case he gets fucked.  The guy is an attention seeking whore who lives in fantasia.  That being said, I don't think he's a criminal (though in all honesty I haven't put too much thought into the issue) and the idea of the US somehow prosecuting him is laughable.  If the US can punish those in the media (even those who fit that title loosely such as wikileaks) what's to stop them from declaring every govt doct confidential.  If the US isn't going to prosecute the editor of the NY Times, I see no justification to prosecute Assanage.  The only true criminal thus far in any of this is Bradley Manning, and I'd volunteer to be on his firing squad.

Agreed 100% on all points

Badger
 Rep: 1 

Badger wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

This man. 22

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

I disagree.
I think its only natural that he holds something back as insurance. Most people with any intelligence would do the same in a similar situation.
I mean just because a guy wants to get the truth out there does not mean he has a death wish. The guy seems to be smart enough that he knew a witch hunt was a possibility.

Sure it may not be as noble an act from a person regarded as a hero to some but at the same time unless he does not value his freedom or life its a pretty sane and logical precaution for him to take.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It's amazing the discussion you can have when you stop making personal attacks and start discussing the real issues.  Kudos to all (post wakeup call).

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It's amazing the discussion you can have when you stop making personal attacks and start discussing the real issues.  Kudos to all (post wakeup call).

So true, its actually a pretty interesting discussion too when discussed in a civil/respectful way.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

I disagree.
I think its only natural that he holds something back as insurance. Most people with any intelligence would do the same in a similar situation.
I mean just because a guy wants to get the truth out there does not mean he has a death wish. The guy seems to be smart enough that he knew a witch hunt was a possibility.

Sure it may not be as noble an act from a person regarded as a hero to some but at the same time unless he does not value his freedom or life its a pretty sane and logical precaution for him to take.

Actually yeah that makes sense. Like he's putting the actual success of the thing first? Which would require he not die.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

This.

Thank you to everyone involved for keeping it civil.

P.S. buzz... turn your damn karma back on!

I'm afraid I'll lose more than I gain by doing so...

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … nt=Twitter

DISTURBED Frontman On WikiLeaks: 'The U.S. Government Has Been Caught With Their Pants Down' - Dec. 13, 2010
Hamacher.de.com conducted an interview with DISTURBED frontman David Draiman when the band played Düsseldorf, Germany on December 1, 2010 as part of the "Taste Of Chaos" tour with PAPA ROACH, BUCKCHERRY and HALESTORM. You can now watch the chat below.

When asked for his opinion of WikiLeaks' recent release of classified U.S. diplomatic cables, Draiman — who has been supportive of Barack Obama since he began running for President — said, "I think that the United States government has been caught with their pants down, and it's an uncomfortable situation. Certain things are not meant for people to know. That's why it's politics; that's why there's secrets. Is anything that is discussed politically behind closed doors automatically supposed to be for public ears? I don't believe it is; that's part of politics. These people lie for a living. And if you actually started to find out all of the lies that are being told, you wouldn't wanna vote for anybody. It put a lot of people in a lot of uncomfortable situations that they probably deserved to be in. Does that make the action justified? It's still intellectual piracy of a type. And so I still think that, while there is freedom of the press and while there is also freedom of speech, there's certain lines that shouldn't be crossed. It kind of reveals intentions that many of us already knew about and already suspected — for instance, China's true position on North Korea; our real opinion of Iraq. I mean, none of these things are complete mysteries to anyone, but it definitely made things much more blatant, and the wording is certainly far more embarrassing."

DISTURBED hails from Chicago, which is where Obama worked as a state senator and U.S. senator before heading to the White House.

[youtube]0EjnhvqiOnw&feature=player_embedded#[/url]![/youtube]

Board footer