You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 472 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:

Agree. I think the only Dustin Hoffman character that I really liked was Rain Man. That was a killer movie.

polluxlm
 Rep: 209 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

polluxlm wrote:

He's pretty good in the short lived tv series Luck. Him and Dennis Farina made a great team.

James
 Rep: 646 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

I watched this a while back and I had one big issue.  I found the main character totally unlikable.  In fact, I think the Bill Murray character almost steals the film from Tootsie.

I watched it and yeah...it has many flaws. He's unlikeable...but so are most of the other characters.

Hoffman was right. This isn't really a comedy. It's a drama with a few mildly funny scenes. I didn't realize that until watching it now as an adult.

The last 10-15 minutes suck. It deserved better. I don't buy all these people forgiving him... especially Lange's character and her father.

It was a huge betrayal...can't just wipe that away to give it a feel good ending. It's unrealistic.

Who did Lange sleep with to get an Oscar for this?

This was the last time I'll watch this.

Expect a remake of this in the coming years.

One more thing...

That one theme song...

Go Tootsie go

Roll baby roll

How in the hell did that never become an ad for Tootsie rolls?!?

They smoking crack at Hershey?

Other movies I watched last night...

Die Hard 2 - This movie gets right down to business. This was my favorite Die Hard back in the day. It holds up pretty good.

Some films really make me miss the world of those days. This is one of them.

I need to watch Die Hard 3 soon.


The Fugitive - Obviously this is considered one of the best of the 90s but I almost turned it off halfway through and watch Basic Instinct instead.

Maybe I'll watch that tonight.

misterID
 Rep: 472 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:

Watched American Graffiti recently. Holy shit, what a great film. I mean it was perfection. I wish George would have kept making films like this.  I know he hates directing, and apparently he had a meltdown over Apocalypse Now, which was his idea and he badly wanted to direct it. I honestly think Lucas was on his way to being the best director out of that whole clique of Coppola, Scorsese, DePalma, and Spielberg.

polluxlm
 Rep: 209 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

polluxlm wrote:

George Lucas IS the best director of that bunch. He's got classic movies in 3 genres: sci fi, coming of age, fantasy. Star Wars is seminal.

slashsfro
 Rep: 52 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I watched it and yeah...it has many flaws. He's unlikeable...but so are most of the other characters.

Hoffman was right. This isn't really a comedy. It's a drama with a few mildly funny scenes. I didn't realize that until watching it now as an adult.

The last 10-15 minutes suck. It deserved better. I don't buy all these people forgiving him... especially Lange's character and her father.

It was a huge betrayal...can't just wipe that away to give it a feel good ending. It's unrealistic.

Who did Lange sleep with to get an Oscar for this?

This was the last time I'll watch this.

Oh geez.  I totally forgot about that part.  I totally felt sorry for the father.  And that one scene at the end doesn't even come close to making it right.  Another shitty character moment was the way he treated the Teri Garr character.  He slept with her and basically ghosted her afterwards.

James wrote:

The Fugitive - Obviously this is considered one of the best of the 90s but I almost turned it off halfway through and watch Basic Instinct instead.

Maybe I'll watch that tonight.

Basic Instinct is really underrated to me.  I mean people focus on the Stone stuff.  But the story and the character (mainly the Catherine Trammel) one are interesting from a sociologcal point of view/ and maybe how it deviates from traditionally storytelling.  I feel sorry because sometimes people just focus on those Stone scenes.

Oh some film that I saw was really excellent: Carlito's Way (1993).  Don't think this one gets mentioned enough.  Great work by Pacino.  The story works for me  and DePalma does enough of his camera tricks to make it a satisfying film.  Probably will hold more replay value for me than say Dressed to Kill.

misterID
 Rep: 472 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

misterID wrote:

Just One Of the Guys is better than Tootsie. There, I said it.

Watching The Killer Elite (1975) by Sam Peckinpah right now.

James
 Rep: 646 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

I just watched Rocky 4 Director's Cut.

I was on the hype train for this all year.

It was a mistake. He somehow made it worse. In theory, the removal of the Paulie and the robot storyline makes sense. In reality, it kills the first act. After the waaay too long highlights of III, it has to immediately jump into Apollo-Drago.

It also makes Paulie a non-entity in the film.

Same thing happens with the removal of Nielsen in most scenes. Other than a couple lines, she's verging on being an extra.

I thought that the main point of this director's cut was to give it a feel of a real movie instead of a series of video montages?

It's worse here.

This wasn't the Rocky film to try to improve by going through the archive to create a slightly different film.

Rocky V is the film to take another stab at.

If Stallone really wants to do something like this again, the film to tackle is Cobra. It should've happened decades ago.


Oh geez.  I totally forgot about that part.  I totally felt sorry for the father.  And that one scene at the end doesn't even come close to making it right.  Another shitty character moment was the way he treated the Teri Garr character.  He slept with her and basically ghosted her afterwards.

What should've happened is her dad figures it out quickly, he's exposed to him and Lange, and then the film revolves around him trying to juggle the scam while also attempting to build a relationship with Lange.


If they were going to give the Oscar to an actress in this film, it should've went to Garr.

Her meltdown in front of both Hoffman and Murray near the end is better than anything Lange does in the film.


Just One Of the Guys is better than Tootsie. There, I said it

I think so too.


Yeah...Lucas may have got mega rich from Star Wars but he sacrificed a potentially amazing career to get it.

It would be like Spielberg going bat shit crazy after the ET craze, turning it into a franchise, and then nothing else.

Look at what the world would've missed out on in that alternate timeline.

James
 Rep: 646 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

The Pledge - This movie had potential to be amazing. A killer slow burner. I'm not a big Jack Nicholson fan but this is a good performance.

It hits a brick wall when he meets Robin Wright and has her and her daughter move in with him. I almost turned it off because I knew the direction it was going to go...the killer meets her and plans on her being the next victim.

It's a mess from that point forward. I read about it after watching and the studio wouldn't let Penn finish shooting a handful of scenes that would've gave some clarity on the suspect.

The ending sucked.

slashsfro
 Rep: 52 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

The Pledge - This movie had potential to be amazing. A killer slow burner. I'm not a big Jack Nicholson fan but this is a good performance.

It hits a brick wall when he meets Robin Wright and has her and her daughter move in with him. I almost turned it off because I knew the direction it was going to go...the killer meets her and plans on her being the next victim.

It's a mess from that point forward. I read about it after watching and the studio wouldn't let Penn finish shooting a handful of scenes that would've gave some clarity on the suspect.

The ending sucked.

I've seen this one too.  My thoughts echo yours.  It's pretty good 2/3 of the way through.  It's got a nice storyline with Nicholoson being the retired cop thing hunting a killer.  Then it just veers into predictableness or just loses all energy and momentum.  The "thud" for me was when  near the end the FBI had the task force in and were waiting for the killer and of course he never showed up.

The ending (last scenes really) was just really sad to me.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB