You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

apex-twin wrote:

I personally don't have as much problem with Bane's diatribes, only that who among the Gothamites would take him seriously as a pseudo-Occupy ringmaster after he just demolished two football teams? There are more tact ways to persuade people, methinks.

But that's beside the point.

Where is Gotham, other than watching footy? Where are the blue-collars, as for the most time, we only see cops and Bane's hired guns. Post-Dent Act, Gotham seems like a police state, where the good people stay locked up and let the powers that be run wild.

With Bane in charge, they stay in just the same. I found it curious.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I just assumed they lost all hope because Batman was a lie and a criminal and Dent wouldn't be there to save them.

Then when they found out the truth, the Batman was long gone to save them.

Hopelessness can kinda do that to you.

But yeah, Gotham was VERY absent was something I immediately noticed.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

The 'ghost town' aspect is not to foil the Nolan brothers, as I remember they had a really good run in Chicago. The first film in particular used the Thomas Wayne monorail (or whatever it was called) as what I saw as a beautiful symbol of the man's views - Hell, Batman's Dad was essentially the Harvey Dent of his era.

All is still good on that department on The Dark Knight, I give them that, since Dent is there to bring in the human element, which Wayne, Jr. would've had by legacy, if only doing the Bat requires him to pose as an eccentric billionaire playboy.*

In DKR, the Dent Act (this one) made people with verdicts on organized crime due more time, without the possibility for parole. The yo-yo effect on detained mobsters is lessened.

People should feel safe to get outside the house. The real Gotham got past 9/11 quite well in eight years, so I won't buy their cinematic counterparts mopping on the Joker era as much as Bruce Wayne does on the late Rachel.

Pre-Bane Gotham should, according to the backstory, be a quite lively place.

Batman should reappear in horrible traffic jam, and highway patrols would get their asses handed to them if they'd go in thinking it's just a another night with reckless kids, fawlty seniors and the few DUI's.

Most importantly, the Bat would be seen again. People should be there digging, readying smartphones. It should be a big night after eight years, the original boogeyman coming home - Gotham's Halloween, if you may.

After Bane, I would've killed to see Gothamites organize to help each other out. "Guys, we're all under dictatorship, if we stick together, we'll all be better off." The City in which most the characters say they believe in would do just that. Unify.

I'd settle for just a few minutes of screentime on that, just to show that the city is rebuilding itself in the background, while The Bat and his cohorts get rid of Bane. At the end, everyone was talking about the City; I didn't really see one.

* I find the Thomas Wayne legacy just another nice twist to the Wayne/Bat persona, as in, deep down, Wayne knows being Batman does justice to his father, but the rest of Gotham thinks he's betraying his father's legacy. The Bat has a mixed relationship with Gotham, but a major taxpayer is also regarded a bit uneven.

Alfred does scold him in the film for NOT taking over from Dent. Why Bruce didn't do it; because he was grieving. In other words, he didn't believe in Gotham enough to work for it in any public fashion, be it office by day - or night.

When you think about it, this does sound like a crux in the Wayne story arc; give up on Gotham as anything but the shadowy developer of a ground-breaking energy resource. He'd live up to Dad with it, lighting up every home in Gotham for centuries.

If the city could stand on its own enough time, without Wayne or the Bat, WayneTech would ensure a jump start for a New Golden Age. But then Wayne lost faith in that dream, too, as he realized it also works as a nuke.

Whatever happened to Wayne Enterprises providing with sustainable development? Right. Them funds were bled out to Wayne's hush-hush vanity project. No-one in the board figured they should get his project on fixed monthly budget, not to mention keep the other departments going? CD didn't wipe out the label, just costed more than they'd liked.

So, it seems to me Wayne Enterprises has been grossly mismanaged during the preceding eight years, with the big dog locked up in the basement and loan sharks working overtime in the top floor. All Wayne can do is the martyr bit. No wonder Al's pissed.

(It's curious to note that Memento and Inception, earlier Nolan films, use the memory of a late loved one the exact opposite way; to keep the lead character going, even if in a sort of foul state, with Guy Pearce going round murdering bad guys and Leonardo DiCaprio coming off from work in dreamland to a Twin Peaks/Black Lodge version of his wife.)

It does look like Bruce Wayne has given up on Gotham, because he fears the ghost of Harvey Dent. Getting your hands dirty in public office turns all crosshairs on you and the people next to you. Wayne is not having it, stressing the need of masks to Joseph.

The Bat is something he brings out of stasis and seems to do go quite well with that bum leg until Bane shows him off. Again, the injury on the leg is something I would've cared to see more of, put the Bat more to a Dark Knight Returns territory - he's been out of the game for so long, he'd be undertrained, a bit wobbly, and thus, fighting off the fear that he can't pull it off anymore.

In the end, I don't question Wayne's decision to leave Gotham in more engaged hands and tailing off to Florence with a new flame. The most he's had to offer to Gotham throughout the film had been the legacy of the Bat.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

You make some good points! I need to watch the movie again and may try to look at the film at that kind of angle. I would love to see a director's cut of the film in the near future even though I don't think that's Nolan's intention.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic

Great news for Nolan and the cast & crew!

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Will it tell us how he eats?

Me_Wise_Magic

apex-twin wrote:

Will it tell us how he eats?

haha..good one! 16 Anyway, If a director's cut is truly in the cards then that would be incredible and would definitely help make the film better. It would clear a ton of missing plot points. I hardly remember Nolan ever going towards a director's cut route with any of his films. Even though it is already a great film to finish off a superb trilogy.

Board footer