You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

True, BB is all Batman, whereas TDK kinda becomes the Joker show, but in a way isn't that just as much a true Batman story as any that focuses on just Batman.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

You know what amazes me, people just LOVE things like Iron Man and The Avengers, but turn around in the same breath and shit on Schumacher's Batman. Lmao, it's literally the same thing.

Nolan excluded, looking at the camp-tacular route that Marvel took, films like Forever look alot better in hind-sight and far more serious, and films like Batman & Robin come across as a parody of them, rather than a forerunner to them.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

You know what amazes me, people just LOVE things like Iron Man and The Avengers, but turn around in the same breath and shit on Schumacher's Batman. Lmao, it's literally the same thing.

Nolan excluded, looking at the camp-tacular route that Marvel took, films like Forever look alot better in hind-sight and far more serious, and films like Batman & Robin come across as a parody of them, rather than a forerunner to them.

Nah, there is a difference between good humor and amping up the cheese factor. Iron Man and the Avengers both have very witty dialogue that suits adult audiences a lot more than the crap in B&R. Batman Forever is not a worthless movie, but it is wrapped in a lot of worthless elements (the neon lights, the portrayal of Two-Face, etc.). The darker elements of the story are pretty good though, like Robin's origin and Bruce Wayne's battle with his inner demons.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I was lucky enough to have TDKR come out on Bluray exactly on my birthday this year, so that was the present was watching it after coming home.

The film is solid, and never drags, but I still watch it and think "it's just not as good as BB, and especially TDK". In some ways it's sad, because all of the gags before have been done, so everything is a bit "been there, done that" and predictable. But yet, still remains largely satisfying.

I got questions for Tejas though...

Did your Bluray have a picture that seemed a tad 'too soft' ? The clarity in places seemed a little flat, and for me the transition from IMAX to 2:40 was a tad jarring. You had sharp details in the IMAX scenes, and suddenly a more plastic, softer image in the regular widescreen. The widescreen shots had some ghostly trail, and looked like they were filmed with Viper HD cameras, like all of the suddenly you were transported from a Nolan film, to a Michael Mann film.

Did anyone else notice this, or is it just my copy? It still looks good, but a tad soft and inconsistent in look.

The film itself is still an emotional rollercoaster, although in hind sight I disagree about Bane. Of the three main villians of Nolan's films, he's easily the least enjoyable, campy almost to Schumacher-levels, and frankly not NEAR enough time is spent on Bane, because to give a big reveal of who Bane is, gives away the ending with

Hidden Text:

Talia Al Ghul

. At the same time not enough time was spent with Bruce either. In the end the film ended by being more of a John Blake

Hidden Text:

"Robin"

story.

These are all nitpicks, but ultimately it's what leads it to being a "typical Part III" and a lesser story compared to it's predecessors. Still, it's a good film.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Axlin12, what you are describing about the Blu-ray is inherent to the source. That's how the 35mm scenes looked when I saw it in IMAX. Nolan refuses to have his films color corrected digitally, which means that they don't do a 4k digital intermediate of the original negative. Instead they physically print the colors onto film stock and then scan it after the fact from a lower quality source than the negative. Makes for an uglier Blu-ray presentation. Another part of the problem is the lenses chosen by Nolan and Pfister. It doesn't look like they are taking full advantage of the photography available with a lot of 35mm cameras today.

johndivney wrote:

i finally saw TDKR this weekend & lo & behold it;s another complete waste of 16hours of my life. an atrocious, horrible, hateful piece of work/propaganda.
these series of films sit comfortably alongside michael bay's transformers in it's cloying clinging promotion of the US military state. it's repugnant, disgraceful propaganda that defiles what is a great comic book series.

another notable flaw is the length. jesus christ almighty. it felt like fucking 16hours of my life that i'll never get back. a whole load of guff about wayne enterprises, a ridiculously confused, cheapass & convoluted plot. a film full of pointless characters.
& of course you couldn't understand a word bane says, but i'm not going to get into that any further it's been discussed til death.
i love marion cotillard but she was truly rubbish in this. surely one of the best all time worst on-screen deaths ever tho, so at least there's that. she should not do action/super-hero films again.
the actual fight scenes were embarrassing. woeful stuff. really really not even so bad they're funny bad, just rank awful.

the positives? bale is a fun batman. the polar opposite of adam west, but probably the 2nd best batman there's been.
aside from that there wasn't much else to enjoy.

i mean credit to TDK: it was still by & large really crap bar any heath ledger scene, but at least it tried something interesting, the psychological battle of wits. this was just pathetic.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Does the blu-ray feature any deleted scenes cut from the final film?

I thought I remember reading something about a bit more back story on Bane's actual messed up face without the mask getting shown, as well as some more detail in his body's scars, but it was cut from the final film.

johndivney wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

"hateful piece of work/propaganda"? Huh?

the batmobile becoming a weaponised tank?
the arsenal that bane & his goon squad bust into wayne enterprises for?

whatever happened to a batman of a sleek car & cool gadgets? he got replaced by an advertisement for the US military.

Board footer