You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
johndivney wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

"hateful piece of work/propaganda"? Huh?

the batmobile becoming a weaponised tank?
the arsenal that bane & his goon squad bust into wayne enterprises for?

whatever happened to a batman of a sleek car & cool gadgets? he got replaced by an advertisement for the US military.

News flash. The Dark Knight Returns, one of the most influential Batman comic books ever created, featured a tank Batmobile. That was 26 years ago. Just saying.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think it's because the producers were shooting for some kind of semi-plausible realism with the batman story - so all the weapons have been made to look sort of like you'd do them. In real life if you have a batcar getting involved in fights it needs to be a tank type vechile.

However if we want to talk "looks cool" then the 89 Jet and Car shit all over the modern toys!

KEATONSBatmobile01-Copy.jpg

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think we need to start an Evo fundraiser for "Get John laid by higher quality Pussy: Act Now!"

Like the others, I have literally no clue what John's talking about. "Advertisement for the U.S. military state?"

Literally, what? Propaganda piece?

I seem to remember The Joker pretty much kicking Batman's ass in TDK.

AtariLegend wrote:

Oh I guess the Oscars ignoring DKR wasn't surprising.

...But just seen the Dark Knight Returns: Part 2 the animated version last night. There is alot cool stuff there, but I finally realize why it would be totally un film-able.

It's basically like a cool TV series with 7 years of story line's crammed into 3 hours. Batman vs. Superman scene would be a big selling point, but the rest is too much of a fan boy fantasy and it would literally look like it's ripping of Dark Knight/Kick Ass and Watchman all at same time.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

**SPOILER ALERT**

Not that the Oscars have any credibility (TDK deserved a nom in 2008), but honestly TDKR didn't deserve a nom this year. I'm not that familiar with the class of films they chose, so maybe it's real weak, I dunno.

But just based on the merits of TDKR itself, I don't think it deserves a nom. It's the weakest of the three Nolan Batman's, which is even more glaring because it was the film to follow TDK (the best), and even if TDKR had been the only film in the franchise, there's missing attributes to the story that are obvious, plus I agree with what most critics are saying as the ending "wasn't very good".

And I agree with that as well. It's actually a good film up to that point, but I don't really still understand what Nolan was going for in the ending. It seemed like he just gave up on the film at the end. The fly The Bat off into the ocean with the bomb was weak sauce and incredibly cliched for a franchise of this caliber and a director who basically re-invented the comic book film, and he choses a throwback Superman concept to lock out the film which... uhh... ok.

I thought the part of keeping Bruce alive kept the fans appeased, but the critics have majorly complained of it as being gutless. Nolan basically teased killing off Batman at the end of the film, which was a huge statement that literally within seconds he reversed because of the assfuck nerdgasm that would ensue by the thought.

I think his statement was with Robin that "Batman will live on with other men, but Bruce Wayne is retired and happy", so Batman is not dead. Batman is immortal. Batman is an idea. Almost like Jesus.

I don't know, I just felt anti-climatic when I saw the film's ending originally in a theater.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

**SPOILER ALERT**

Not that the Oscars have any credibility (TDK deserved a nom in 2008), but honestly TDKR didn't deserve a nom this year. I'm not that familiar with the class of films they chose, so maybe it's real weak, I dunno.

But just based on the merits of TDKR itself, I don't think it deserves a nom. It's the weakest of the three Nolan Batman's, which is even more glaring because it was the film to follow TDK (the best), and even if TDKR had been the only film in the franchise, there's missing attributes to the story that are obvious, plus I agree with what most critics are saying as the ending "wasn't very good".

And I agree with that as well. It's actually a good film up to that point, but I don't really still understand what Nolan was going for in the ending. It seemed like he just gave up on the film at the end. The fly The Bat off into the ocean with the bomb was weak sauce and incredibly cliched for a franchise of this caliber and a director who basically re-invented the comic book film, and he choses a throwback Superman concept to lock out the film which... uhh... ok.

I thought the part of keeping Bruce alive kept the fans appeased, but the critics have majorly complained of it as being gutless. Nolan basically teased killing off Batman at the end of the film, which was a huge statement that literally within seconds he reversed because of the assfuck nerdgasm that would ensue by the thought.

I think his statement was with Robin that "Batman will live on with other men, but Bruce Wayne is retired and happy", so Batman is not dead. Batman is immortal. Batman is an idea. Almost like Jesus.

I don't know, I just felt anti-climatic when I saw the film's ending originally in a theater.

I totally geeked out in the theater.... Upon further review... most notably, listening to Ralph Garmin, a Batman fanatic, rip the movie to SHREDS on Fatman On Batman... A Kevin Smith Smodco Podcast... 

http://smodcast.com/episodes/ralph-garm … t-returns/

He brought up a ton of glaring holes and outright bullshit in TDKR that I hadn't noticed... And now... I'm meh about the thing.

TDK was brilliant, though...

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Furbush wrote:

I totally geeked out in the theater.... Upon further review... most notably, listening to Ralph Garmin, a Batman fanatic, rip the movie to SHREDS on Fatman On Batman... A Kevin Smith Smodco Podcast... 

http://smodcast.com/episodes/ralph-garm … t-returns/

He brought up a ton of glaring holes and outright bullshit in TDKR that I hadn't noticed... And now... I'm meh about the thing.

TDK was brilliant, though...

What I find interesting is the amount of nitpicking directed at TDKR while TDK gets a pass on similar issues. You can nitpick any movie to death. It all comes down to whether a person enjoys the story being told or not. If they don't enjoy it, they'll nitpick the shit out of it. If they do enjoy it, they'll give it a pass on certain things that they shouldn't if they are truly trying to be consistent. I enjoy all three of Nolan's Bat films pretty much the same amount (BB is still the best), but I don't pretend that any of them are perfect.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Agreed! When I saw TDKR in theaters a second time I saw it with all the criticism, I still thoroughly enjoyed the film and thought it was really good. I could see what Nolan was going for. None of his Batman films are perfect and I've seen a couple problems with the Dark Knight and Begins too in terms of plot structure and there are some pacing issues even in those films. But.. the thing is I can let those problems pass because those films have more positive things than negative even Rises. I personally enjoyed that film over Begins; but that's just my personal taste.

Board footer