You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

Batman Forever is better than the Burton films, albeit not by enough.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Communist China wrote:

Batman Forever is better than the Burton films, albeit not by enough.

Each to their own but I disagree 10000%. I saw Forever not that long ago and couldn't believe how poor I find it when watching it back now, it's not much better than B+R imo. Kilmer is a superior Batman to Clooney and the villains are better but it's still pretty awful imo. Burtons films aren't perfect but I'd rather watch those everytime over Forever.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree about the assessment of Forever. When I was a kid and saw it in theaters, I was only about 11, so of course I thought it was pretty cool. Batman made all these cool one liners, the film "looked" cool, Jim Carrey was funny, Tommy Lee was meanacing, Nicole Kidman was hot, and cool, even Robin is there.

But then you grow up, and you realize you fell for exactly what WB wanted you to fall for. Marketing.

Looking back on it all, when you really sit back and analyze Forever and B&R together, you realize they are basically the exact same film, except with different actors, and Batgirl.

Clooney is not a bad actor, he's just average. Clooney plays Clooney. In everything thing he's ever been in. From George Burnett in "The Facts of Life" to Dr. Ross in "ER" to Danny Ocean in the "Ocean's" trilogy. I don't think his half-hearted lines were intentional by either him or Schumacher. I just think Clooney has a very half-hearted, average, 'I play myself', approach to acting. It amazes me he's had the career he's had. Playing the lead on a TV show is much more suited to his style, than doing a multi-faceted role like Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Schwarzenegger would've been fine for Mr. Freeze minus the camp. I know End of Days is not necessarily viewed as Schwarzenegger's finest film, but in alot of ways it is. Schwarzenegger showed a depth in that film, that I don't think he showed in any other, before or since. I think if Schwarzenegger had been given a role, tailored to the dark and multi-layered Mr. Freeze of the Animated Series, you could've been a very memorable and suprisingly accomplished performance.

AtariLegend wrote:

Right guys lets discuss something that's really important, who would you like too see as the next villain or villains?

Nolan said he wasn't too found of using "Penguin" and Goyer said "Clayface" is a definite No, No, because of realism.

So that would also rule out the likes of the "Man-Bat" & "Mr. Freeze" & "Poison Ivy"

"Two-Face" was intended to be dead when "The Dark Knight" was initially written, although Aaron Eckhart said in the past few months that it might not be the case.

"Talia Al Ghul" is one of the gossip column favourites among film magazines, although no one ever associated with the film has ever hinted at this. I personally would prefer they use some one a little more interesting. For reference; in the current comics she's the mother of "Bruce Wayne's" child.

Goyer also said their more interested at the comics legions of other villains instead of going with the obvious "Catwoman" & "Penguin". However Warner Brothers know rightly that "Catwoman" is the most commercial route, so it's a big possibility.

"The Riddler" is the biggest favourite and most rumoured of all. He'd also fit into Nolans world a lot better than the rest.

Just a brief over view of my thoughts, to get it started.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I'm not saying Forever is good as much as I'm saying the Burton films are bad.

I realize Batman 89 got a lot of praise because it wasn't a comedy, but looking at it fromt he perspective of a teenager today - it's fricking boring as all hell. I don't care for the 'fantasy' vibe, I can't believe Keaton as either Bruce or Bats, and the Joker is just... meh. Nothing unpredictable or frightening. Returns is more of the same, only worse to look at. And there's zero character in Batman - Burton only cares about his villains, and his version of those does nothing for me. Or the friends I've seen it with. But then again, we love Adam West Batman.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

The Riddler could be tough to pull off after Ledger's Joker. Ledger's Joker is pretty similar to the Riddler, always 15-20 steps ahead of everyone intellectually. And that's the way the Joker has always been. The Riddler was kind of an off-shoot of the Joker when he was created. I don't know what they'll do, but if they do the Riddler, they're going to have to find a way to top the Joker's intellectual antics considerably or else it will feel like a re-hash.

AtariLegend wrote:

Actually, because of Ledger's joker, I think it would be easier to do "The Riddler"... Heath Joker was all about an evil guy who just wanted to create chaos for the sake of it.

Where as the comics "The Riddler" was more interest in power and finding out who "Batman" is. Remember Ledger's Joker made it clear towards the movies end, that it was more fun not knowing.

"The Riddler" in the comics also eventually became more of a good guy, helping out the cops solve crimes. Not that it needs to happen in the next film, but it still shows they're very different characters with different motivations.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Actually, because of Ledger's joker, I think it would be easier to do "The Riddler"... Heath Joker was all about an evil guy who just wanted to create chaos for the sake of it.

Where as the comics "The Riddler" was more interest in power and finding out who "Batman" is. Remember Ledger's Joker made it clear towards the movies end, that it was more fun not knowing.

"The Riddler" in the comics also eventually became more of a good guy, helping out the cops solve crimes.

Well that is an angle they could use. Batman is on the run at the end of TDK so they could have the Riddler as some kind of hired detective for the Gotham police but he goes rogue and turns out to be a villain.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Something just occurred to me. Kind of funny and sad at the same time. This damn thread probably has a similar amount of activity to the main GN'R board here. I don't know about you guys but I mainly come here for the off-topic boards like this one. I really couldn't give two shits about the band at this point.

AtariLegend wrote:

No offence, but almost half the posts in this thread have been made by two people... 16

Board footer