You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

*off to youtube to try and find this batman trailer you gusy are talking about. the video is gone in the one that's posted.

Bono, here is the trailer. Password is Selina:

http://vimeo.com/33819720

Here is a download for the 6 minute IMAX Prologue playing in front of Mission Impossible 4:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ufnor419fx0nxcs

Just checked out the first while downloading the second. Thank you!

My question on the first one is this;

Does the touchdown stand or are they still reviewing it?

16:haha::haha::haha:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:

I agree that BTTF II & III are great films on their own but I do feel they "suck" compared to the first one. the first one is just so classic.  I dont' feel BTTF II or III ever had that Empire of Jedi feel in terms of follow ups. Still great movies but BTTF blows them both away.  BTTF III was better than II though I think, although I liked II.... fuck they're all good.

Not to go completely off the rails here but I liked a New Hope better than Jedi but Empire was the best.   I dont' recognize episodes I, II, III as Stars Wars.  I'd rather watch Thomas the Train.

*off to youtube to try and find this batman trailer you gusy are talking about. the video is gone in the one that's posted.

I don't recognize the new Star Wars as "Star Wars" either. Although Episode III: Revenge of the Sith was incredibly good, so much that I was crazy ass nutty enough at one time to put it over New Hope.

But I recant that now. The bottom line is Lucas' original trilogy is in a league of it's own, no different than BTTF, and eventually Nolan's "Batman".

I still personally feel that New Hope is massively overrated. Massively. It is a good film, but I feel that both Empire & Jedi are better, with Empire being the real standout 'definitive' Star Wars film. How ironic, the ones not directed by Lucas are the best.

As for BTTF... you kinda walked into that one didn't you? See what I mean? Even when you try to argue Parts II & III "suck" in comparison to the first, it's a very hard sell because they are that good, and they also have held up even today. They still seem incredibly modern.

I like to think of BTTF as a "perfect trilogy", rather than just a "perfect" first film, and some really good sequels. The whole thing really is an experience, with a beginning, middle and end. It reminds me alot of where Nolan is heading with Batman, except with nihilism rather than happy endings.

If I had to complain about anything with BTTF it's that Part II was "too big" in scope at times. They tried to do too much. It was too condensed. I felt they never spent enough time in 2015, considering it was "the future". They didn't spend enough time in alternate-1985 either. I would've liked to have seen the 1955 redux stuff trimmed down, and more alotted for the others because it was so different.

I also feel that there was a 2 and a half hour movie in there somewhere with more fleshing out.

Part III was better, because it focused on one concept, like the original. The whole film practically was in 1885, just like Part I was in 1955. It had more focus, and basically just redid the storytelling of Part I, except in 1885 Hill Valley.

Anyways... back to Batman/Dark Knight

AtariLegend wrote:

I did think for a while all the bring Batman Begins full circle talk, was saying something about how this one's going to feel. The trailers and reading about the scenes they shot didn't help either.

...But after watching the prologue turned up full volume with head phones, it looks more like TDK instead. I really think this film is going to be fucking awesome.

batbane2.jpg?1312221474

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The thing with trilogies is that the first one inherently has to set up the characters and the rules of the series, thus leaving the subsequent stories to use those characters to their fullest.

With good ideas - eg Star Wars, Batman - this means that you can go straight for the kill in part 2 - as you don't need to waste the screen time going "I am bruce wayne, I am Luke Skywalker" etc.

Of course with limited ideas, you sometimes see sequels were all the good conceptual ideas were used in the original - and it becomes a grandiose exercise in trying to stretch those ideas into more. (Examples of this to my taste are Pirates of the Caribbean and The Matrix - both of which had devastatingly awesome initial films but followed up with extended rehash.)

So I don't think it's logical to kind of say if Empire is Better than A New Hope - as you can't make Empire without making A New Hope - it's pacing is to establish that universe.

Getting back to batman I feel it's a little the same. I think the Dark Night is by far the best of the series so far - not for the action per say but because it's able to jump straight into plots involving the deeper psychology of the characters (the general paradoxical nature of batman, the motivations of the joker, the struggles of dent etc) but it's only able to do this because Batman Begins set up the stage for it to do so.

I feel Begins is a great movie but a little self conscious. Seems to spend a lot of time going "look were not burton or shumacker" and "see, there's a logical real world reason for everything in batman, see, it's all legit and real, no nipples and butt shots here" - which it needed to do and did well - but in retrospect it kind of kills screen time just cos it's cleansing the pallet after the prior franchise entries.

But TDK just opens with awesome to me...we know who Bats is and how the universe is operating - and it gets straight to the punch.

Be interesting to see where they go for the 3rd. One of the things I thought was so good about 2 was that it seems to be written by people who actually understand the motivations and psychology of the characters. Let's hope it stays that way!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

But see that right there is why I think Back To The Future did themselves a service making a more "complete" trilogy.

Because they commissioned Parts II & III right away. So they went into production at the same time, and unlike The Matrix, they didn't stray from the original formula. They just tripled up servings of what people already loved.

So they knew going in that Part II was gonna set up Part III to wrap it up.

As for TDK, and Empire, and hell even George Romero's original "Dead Trilogy", they went balls deep for Part 2, to try to make it "the best".

And guess what? Jedi was NOT better than Empire. Day of the Dead was NOT better than Dawn of the Dead (or Night for that matter). So The Dark Knight Rises might be climbing uphill trying to overcome the greatness of TDK.

The ONLY time and I mean the ONLY time i've ever seen it work, was Sergio Leone's "Dollars Trilogy". For A Few Dollars More (Dollars II), surpassed Fistful of Dollars in every way. Bigger, badder, Clint-eier. No way anyone thought Part III would live up to that level. What did they get?

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Possibly the greatest western ever made, and it was a Part III.

So who knows, could Nolan pull it off? Could The Dark Knight Rises be The Good, The Bad & The Ugly of super hero/action films? A sweeping epic to end them all?

Time will tell

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Trailer was officially released online by WB earlier today. Here is a YouTube version:

And here is a download link for a XBox 360/PS3-compatible version of the 1080p trailer:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0mcjsb3g25srus8

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

Awesome, I hope it's better than the usual disappointing third sequel of superhero franchises. I have a feeling Anne Hathaway will be the weak link of the movie. Marion Cotillard looks hot in this movie. Nolan's take on Bane looks interesting. Summer can't come fast enough!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Meh, I'm not so sure.  Coincidentally I just watched TDK for the first time in a while last weekend.  After all the hype died down,  Heath Ledger's character was the only really watchable part.  Some acting stunk (mobsters, Two Face), the two face charater was a waste of time & unnecesary, and the script was a little bit corny.  The trailers for this lead me to believe it's going onto the verge of ridiculousness & sci fi away from Batman.  We'll see.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer