You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

My guess is WB let's it sit for awhile (not too long though), and does something more comic-heavy to revive it, but with Nolan-sensabilties. Basically a live-action version of the Arkham video games.

Rumor is that's exactly what WB wants. I wish they would hand it over to Bruce Timm and Paul Dini as producers and let them do a live action version of Batman: The Animated Series.

Such a shame you don't play the games dude, but the reality is the Arkham video game series is INSANELY popular, and is pretty much AS popular as the Nolan Batman movies, among diehard gamers and Batman fans.

The stories were as good in the games as they were because of the fact Timm & Dini were involved, and basically sculpted the whole thing. Of course having Conroy & Hamill helps steer it too because vocally they ARE Batman & Joker and always will be. The characters they created with just their voices will always be "the best" in my mind.

But WB wanting that does not shock me. They licensed and oversaw production on the games, and reaped profits comparable to any Batman film. They also know the generation they LOVED those games is all ages, but also quite a bit are teenagers and college-aged kids that will be the next generation of Batman fans and film goers that are going to expect that "TAS meets Nolan" Batman universe that mixes comic books with more technical realism for a nice blend of both.

I also would like to see a scarier Scarecrow and a revival of the TAS Mr. Freeze in a film again some day.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Think Nolan would ever entertain the idea of a Justice League movie? he's done Batman and is now doing Superman. My guess is that'd be harder to do and do well then The Avengers

Personally I don't think he's yanking anyone's chain. The headline is misleading. Basically all Bale is saying is IF and it's a mega IF Nolan had more to give in the Batman story he'd be in. I believe him. It's not a role he'd turn down if Nolan came back to him with another script. Obviously at this point Nolan has no interest but ya never know what happens down the road.

Justice League... I doubt it, but he might would produce it.

Believe it or not originally Bale (not sure about Nolan) were actually contracted to do "Batman vs. Superman", not a Batman reboot.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Superman needs to be good or it's dead in my opinion. No way they can reboot it again. TThe last oen sucked and if this one sucks they'd have to wait 10-15 years at least.  What they should've done is have Smallville end on a better note. More cliffhangerish. Then use Tom Welling as Superman in a movie reboot. Why this never happend makes no sense to me. Why they ever cast the last guy as Superman makes even less sense. They had a built in new generation of Superman fans with the 8 or however many year run Smallville had. Would've seemed like a natural progression to me.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Nolan isn't directing Superman, Zach Snyder is. Nolan and his Batman co-writer David Goyer came up with an idea and pitched it to the studio. Beyond that, Nolan handed the entire thing over to Snyder and hasn't touched it since. He's been too busy making the Batman movie to worry about Superman. I think Nolan would be spinning his wheels if he keeps making comic book adaptations. I want him to do other types of projects.

No way Nolan is over on Superman if he doesn't have creative control. Why bother?

Either he, or Jonathan Nolan are calling shots. Guaranteed. Ever watch "Person of Interest" with Jim Caviziel on CBS?

It's basically a Nolan Batman/Inception TV series. It was created by Jonathan.

Superman will be as Nolanverse as it can be with an alien superhero.

Nolan's wife said in December that they had handed it over to Snyder because they were too busy with Batman. I think the hype surrounding Nolan as "godfather of the Superman reboot" was a deliberate attempt at propaganda by WB. Yes, Nolan was involved in coming up with the story. No, he's not anywhere near as involved in the production as Jerry Bruckheimer would be or Nolan would be for a movie he directs. They wanted to create some goodwill for their reboot so they oversold the idea of Chris Nolan saving Superman from the abyss. Has a good ring to it if you're a studio executive who wants to create good will with fanboys.

I have seen Person of Interest. Pretty good show.

Fair enough. The Superman franchise has been a walking (or flying) disaster since Donner got fired from Superman II. Which was like what, 1980? So yeah the fans have been expecting shit and "development hell" for over 30 years.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

My guess is WB let's it sit for awhile (not too long though), and does something more comic-heavy to revive it, but with Nolan-sensabilties. Basically a live-action version of the Arkham video games.

Rumor is that's exactly what WB wants. I wish they would hand it over to Bruce Timm and Paul Dini as producers and let them do a live action version of Batman: The Animated Series.

Such a shame you don't play the games dude, but the reality is the Arkham video game series is INSANELY popular, and is pretty much AS popular as the Nolan Batman movies, among diehard gamers and Batman fans.

The stories were as good in the games as they were because of the fact Timm & Dini were involved, and basically sculpted the whole thing. Of course having Conroy & Hamill helps steer it too because vocally they ARE Batman & Joker and always will be. The characters they created with just their voices will always be "the best" in my mind.

But WB wanting that does not shock me. They licensed and oversaw production on the games, and reaped profits comparable to any Batman film. They also know the generation they LOVED those games is all ages, but also quite a bit are teenagers and college-aged kids that will be the next generation of Batman fans and film goers that are going to expect that "TAS meets Nolan" Batman universe that mixes comic books with more technical realism for a nice blend of both.

I also would like to see a scarier Scarecrow and a revival of the TAS Mr. Freeze in a film again some day.

My parents got me Arkham City for Christmas last year. I tried to play it for around an hour and basically got stuck wandering around. Gave up at that point and haven't tried playing it since. I've been told Arkham Asylum has more story structure to it and is more friendly to non-gamers like myself. I'm thinking of buying it. It's pretty cheap on Amazon now, only like $17.

My only criticism of those games in terms of adapting them as movies is I don't like the design aesthetic for some of the characters. I much prefer the look of the Animated Series and Nolan versions of the Joker and Bane for instance.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

On a gaming standpoint, you probably should've played Asylum first. You get used to the controls easier, and City is a bit more advance, but still the same overall deal, but just a tad harder just to show "improvement".

The reason I say that is there's alot more rhythm with hitting the Rappel movements, and getting a rhythm down to the dives in flight in order to fly around Arkham City. Arkham City is also a HUGE map compared to Asylum. It takes longer to get around, especially if you're walking and not gliding.

There's also several story references in City to events in Asylum.

I'd definitely give Asylum a spin, play it through, then give City a second look. Might look alot better after getting used to Asylum.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Bono wrote:

Superman needs to be good or it's dead in my opinion. No way they can reboot it again. TThe last oen sucked and if this one sucks they'd have to wait 10-15 years at least.  What they should've done is have Smallville end on a better note. More cliffhangerish. Then use Tom Welling as Superman in a movie reboot. Why this never happend makes no sense to me. Why they ever cast the last guy as Superman makes even less sense. They had a built in new generation of Superman fans with the 8 or however many year run Smallville had. Would've seemed like a natural progression to me.

I was asking myself and others the same thing a year back. Especially since for the past few Superman movies they have cast leads that are relatively unknown and a new face to fans of the comics, cartoons, and such. I am a big fan of Smallville even though it had its off points and bad episodes since it's ended last year. I didn't think Returns sucked; but it wasn't fresh or inventive. The concept was unoriginal and Brandon Roth just couldn't get the right feel for Superman's character. I thought he did an okay job with being Clark Kent; but in order to get the character down you have to have the two personas synch well which made Christopher Reeve so great in the first two films.  I thought the best out of the any of the cast was Kevin Spacey. He nailed Luthor. The problem is they just need a fresh villain too. They overuse Luthor way too much. I could say the same thing with Zod. Brainiac or Bizarro (if produced in the right light) would make great options for the Man of Steel to confront in Zack's upcoming film. If the film succeeds, then bring out a Doomsday battle situation for a future sequel. They shouldn't do the human alter ego Doomsday concept that Smallville tried to do because they couldn't fully grasp the potential of it.  I'm hoping they pull off this movie with the situations they are dealing with and not crush fans or do the Zack overusing CGI shtick.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Nolan isn't directing Superman, Zach Snyder is. Nolan and his Batman co-writer David Goyer came up with an idea and pitched it to the studio. Beyond that, Nolan handed the entire thing over to Snyder and hasn't touched it since. He's been too busy making the Batman movie to worry about Superman. I think Nolan would be spinning his wheels if he keeps making comic book adaptations. I want him to do other types of projects.

No way Nolan is over on Superman if he doesn't have creative control. Why bother?

Either he, or Jonathan Nolan are calling shots. Guaranteed. Ever watch "Person of Interest" with Jim Caviziel on CBS?

It's basically a Nolan Batman/Inception TV series. It was created by Jonathan.

Superman will be as Nolanverse as it can be with an alien superhero.

Nolan's wife said in December that they had handed it over to Snyder because they were too busy with Batman. I think the hype surrounding Nolan as "godfather of the Superman reboot" was a deliberate attempt at propaganda by WB. Yes, Nolan was involved in coming up with the story. No, he's not anywhere near as involved in the production as Jerry Bruckheimer would be or Nolan would be for a movie he directs. They wanted to create some goodwill for their reboot so they oversold the idea of Chris Nolan saving Superman from the abyss. Has a good ring to it if you're a studio executive who wants to create good will with fanboys.

I have seen Person of Interest. Pretty good show.

Originally Nolan and his wife just wanted to help write the screenplay and help produce it since Nolan was still recovering from Ledger's death and I heard mixing and editing the final version was quite a difficult task emotionally for most of the development team. For a time, Nolan wanted nothing to do with a third Batman film and wanted to pitch the script and ideas to another director. He decided to finish the film trilogy and hopefully end it on a epic scale for the fans. The thing I love about Nolan's work is he works with people he has befriended; so they aren't just hired actors but like a family working together to accomplish a huge goal. I respect that behavior.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

On a gaming standpoint, you probably should've played Asylum first. You get used to the controls easier, and City is a bit more advance, but still the same overall deal, but just a tad harder just to show "improvement".

The reason I say that is there's alot more rhythm with hitting the Rappel movements, and getting a rhythm down to the dives in flight in order to fly around Arkham City. Arkham City is also a HUGE map compared to Asylum. It takes longer to get around, especially if you're walking and not gliding.

There's also several story references in City to events in Asylum.

I'd definitely give Asylum a spin, play it through, then give City a second look. Might look alot better after getting used to Asylum.

I beat City... Loved it. But, now I'm afraid to play Asylum, cuz I feel like it would be a step backwards... Thoughts?

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Bono wrote:

This.

It's insanely retarded that they never even considered it.

Board footer