You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

Axlin16 wrote:
Furbush wrote:
Bono wrote:

Superman needs to be good or it's dead in my opinion. No way they can reboot it again. TThe last oen sucked and if this one sucks they'd have to wait 10-15 years at least.  What they should've done is have Smallville end on a better note. More cliffhangerish. Then use Tom Welling as Superman in a movie reboot. Why this never happend makes no sense to me. Why they ever cast the last guy as Superman makes even less sense. They had a built in new generation of Superman fans with the 8 or however many year run Smallville had. Would've seemed like a natural progression to me.

This.

It's insanely retarded that they never even considered it.

They did consider it, when Brett Ratner was attached, Tom Welling was offered the role of Superman. He even did screen tests to see what he'd look like in the costume to get a feel for it.

Bryan Singer comes on board, and  They didn't feel he had "big screen quality".

If Welling had been Superman, they would've at least attempted some sort of Star Trek: Generations or Highlander: Endgame-type film where they blended the TV series with the film franchise.

I also absolutely agree that promoting Smallville to Superman films was the OBVIOUS move. Fans loved the series, some of which call it "the definitive Superman story on screen", Welling was identified as Clark/Superman.

It was an obvious move. But instead they just went back and made Superman V. Which was still an enormous success. But they were expecting over a half billion worldwide take in success, and instead it did closer to Batman Begins.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

On a gaming standpoint, you probably should've played Asylum first. You get used to the controls easier, and City is a bit more advance, but still the same overall deal, but just a tad harder just to show "improvement".

The reason I say that is there's alot more rhythm with hitting the Rappel movements, and getting a rhythm down to the dives in flight in order to fly around Arkham City. Arkham City is also a HUGE map compared to Asylum. It takes longer to get around, especially if you're walking and not gliding.

There's also several story references in City to events in Asylum.

I'd definitely give Asylum a spin, play it through, then give City a second look. Might look alot better after getting used to Asylum.

I beat City... Loved it. But, now I'm afraid to play Asylum, cuz I feel like it would be a step backwards... Thoughts?

If you played City and loved it, you will have literally no problems with Asylum. Story might not be as "big" in scale at City (it's Begins to TDK, that kinda deal). Controls will probably be simpler. Although some add-ons in City aren't available in Asylum, but nothing that will be super missed either. You also will have more close-quarters battle, being inside prison facilities, rooms more often. Being stealth and silent as much as possible. There isn't really anything jumping from building to building like in City.

If I had to say anything story-line wise, is that Asylum is more "suspenseful", kinda has a darker tone, and is more paced.

City is the typical sequel, bigger, badder, and more action constantly. TDK to Begins, T2 to T1, etc.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

They did consider it, when Brett Ratner was attached, Tom Welling was offered the role of Superman. He even did screen tests to see what he'd look like in the costume to get a feel for it.

Bryan Singer comes on board, and  They didn't feel he had "big screen quality".

If Welling had been Superman, they would've at least attempted some sort of Star Trek: Generations or Highlander: Endgame-type film where they blended the TV series with the film franchise.

I also absolutely agree that promoting Smallville to Superman films was the OBVIOUS move. Fans loved the series, some of which call it "the definitive Superman story on screen", Welling was identified as Clark/Superman.

It was an obvious move. But instead they just went back and made Superman V. Which was still an enormous success. But they were expecting over a half billion worldwide take in success, and instead it did closer to Batman Begins.

I wasn't even a big comic book fan or Superman fan but I loved Smallville for the first however many years. I started to lose interest the year the writers strike was on but up to that point Smallville was by far my favorite show on tv.  The transition to the big screen would've made so much sense. Oh well.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

When you get it right, the people will come.

(See Iron Man, The Avengers, TDK, Superman 1 and 2)

Superman is harder to "get right"...

Had Superman Returns gotten the whole thing "right", as Nolan did with almost every aspect of Batman in Begins, then perfected in TDK... We wouldn't be talking about another reboot...

Brandon Routh was definitely channeling Chris Reeve as Kent... but had no presence as The World's Greatest Superhero...

The premise was decent, but lacked action..

It was boring.

Kal-El is strangely less endearing. Sure, he's the quintessential super hero... But when you strip away the All American Bullshit, he's an almost invincible alien....

A reboot has to involve an origin story... and by the time you sort all of that out... What do you do? The casting has to be perfect... And Reeve was the gold standard. The performance has to be a revelation to make people forget him (After Ledger, Nicholson looks like a joke... Heresy 10 years ago ..)

Attacking his story is a major pain in the ass...
The Smallville Theory is, IMO, the only way to do it proper...

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Superman Returns wasn't an "enormous success" for WB. It cost around $270m to produce when you include the development hell it went through, another $100m to market, and then you have to realize the studio doesn't get anywhere near all of the revenue from the box office. The theaters also get a healthy chunk of the cash. I doubt WB made any profit on Superman Returns until it went to home video and even then I doubt they made very much on it. Merchandising is likely where they made any decent profit. Batman Begins cost $150m to make (rumored to have come in under budget at around $135m), $100m to market, and then was a huge hit on home video. Plus it had the Joker setup at the end of it, which meant a guaranteed profit increase for the sequel.

The mediocre box office performance of Batman Begins and Superman Returns is why WB fired a number of high ranking marketing people in the company. Then they got their shit together. 300 and TDK had two of the best marketing campaigns ever. Even Watchmen had a great marketing campaign, though it wasn't enough to make the movie a box office success. Inception also had excellent marketing, which did contribute to its huge success around the world.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Had Superman Returns gotten the whole thing "right", as Nolan did with almost every aspect of Batman in Begins, then perfected in TDK... We wouldn't be talking about another reboot...

Brandon Routh was definitely channeling Chris Reeve as Kent... but had no presence as The World's Greatest Superhero...

It was boring.

Kal-El is strangely less endearing. Sure, he's the quintessential super hero... But when you strip away the All American Bullshit, he's an almost invincible alien....

A reboot has to involve an origin story... and by the time you sort all of that out... What do you do? The casting has to be perfect... And Reeve was the gold standard. The performance has to be a revelation to make people forget him (After Ledger, Nicholson looks like a joke... Heresy 10 years ago ..)

That's always been the biggest issue. I've always wanted a good origin story. The best part of Superman I is the opening with Jor-El. I wanted to see so much more of it.

The best part of the Donner cut of Superman II (my personal favorite), was the Christ-like morality stuff between Superman and his father.

THAT has ALWAYS needed to to be expanded upon, and then you end up in Smallville. Don't even bother with Metropolis until that story is told. The first film of the origin story should end with Clark's first day at the Daily Planet, and having a "save the world" moment as a closer.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

It was boring.

That's always been the biggest issue. I've always wanted a good origin story. The best part of Superman I is the opening with Jor-El. I wanted to see so much more of it.

The best part of the Donner cut of Superman II (my personal favorite), was the Christ-like morality stuff between Superman and his father.

THAT has ALWAYS needed to to be expanded upon, and then you end up in Smallville. Don't even bother with Metropolis until that story is told. The first film of the origin story should end with Clark's first day at the Daily Planet, and having a "save the world" moment as a closer.

Just go into the project knowing it'll be a trilogy to begin with... Not the "welll... we will see how the first one does, then decide where to go" bullshit...

Bingo.

The only way to do it is from a different angle...
Have you seen what they're doing with the Spidey reboot?

Hidden Text:

All of a sudden... The conversation turns to Peter's Father, and that him getting those powers was no accident...

Interesting and tasty

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Leonardo DiCaprio was sought by Warner Bros. for The Riddler
by Meriah Doty / Movie Talk-Yahoo! Movies

400-dicaprio-riddler-jpg_163022.jpg

As buzz for "The Dark Knight Rises" continues to build, we are learning that Catwoman and Bane were not necessarily Warner Brothers' first choice to represent the villainous vibes of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy finale.

Instead, the studio had envisioned Leonardo DiCaprio in the role of the Riddler (made famous by Jim Carrey in "Batman Forever" and also by Frank Gorshin and John Astin in the '60s television series).

"Rises" screenwriter David Goyer recently revealed to Empire magazine (print edition, via What Culture) that the studio essentially thrust the idea of DiCaprio as the Riddler upon he and Nolan after the release of 2008's "The Dark Knight"... around the same time Nolan was pitching "Inception" to them, in which DiCaprio starred.

WB's top execs said, according to Goyer: "Obviously it's gonna be The Riddler, and we want it to be Leonardo DiCaprio."

In an interesting twist, the DiCaprio proposal -- while ultimately unsuccessful for unknown reasons -- may have spawned other casting choices. You see, much of the "Inception" cast carries over into "Rises": Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Michael Caine, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt -- who was originally thought to be cast as the Riddler.

Goyer also revealed in his Empire interview that the ending of "Rises" was conceived at the outset of his partnership with Nolan in the film franchise (via Screen Rant):

"The final scene of 'The Dark Knight Rises' is exactly [the] scene we talked about [when Christopher Nolan and I started the trilogy with 'Batman Begins']. It remained completely unchanged. We both knew in our hearts that we were onto something special. I have to tell you, having finally seen everything strung together a little while ago and seeing that scene, I got a complete lump in my throat."

The proverbial lump in the throat -- along with other widespread speculation -- has had film geeks pondering for months whether Batman lives or dies in "Rises." No one, so far, has a definitive answer. (Thank god! -- That would be too much of a spoiler in my opinion.)

While this is Nolan's final bow with Batman, the franchise could continue -- as it has for the past 20 plus years. Don't rule DiCaprio out for future Riddler roles.

"Rises" opens in theaters July 20.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Although DiCaprio looks similar to the comic Riddler pictured above, as well as the TAS and Arkham video game Riddler...

Something just, I could not see Leo as The Riddler. I don't think it's because of any kind of 'camp' nature, it's just Leo has such a dominate, alpha male personality like a modern Steve McQueen, that I would struggle to buy him as a dark, hyper-intelligent, dis-enfranchised Wayne Enterprises researcher who becomes a geeky, OCD-fueled anti-social throwing cryptic serial killer-like Riddles for Batman.

Would be a great character, but one I would see Joseph Gordon Levitt playing, before I would see Leonardo DiCaprio playing it.

Crispin Glover would be perfect for the role, but might be too old and too no-name for WB.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm a bit behind on this thread but regarding superman returns.

My problem with that film is that the lead character did not appear to be superman in terms of his character, and a lot of the plot is also odd:

Minor spoilers don't read if you never saw superman returns:

Hidden Text:

Superman got lois pregnant before marriage? Superman I grew up with was way too old values to do that. And then he fucks off on her while she's knocked up and leaves the planet?? Also unlikely. Plus...can't remember how he got back to krypton...but seeing as his power comes from the yellow sun i'd have thought leaving out galaxy was a VERY BAD idea in terms of how does he survive a 2 way trip.

Board footer