You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: How will the delays effect C.D.'s sales?

A album can certainly tank due to the actions of the band at the time, even if it was a great album.

If it was released then and the tour tanked, IMO, that would have totally affected the sales of the album, I also think that the performace on MTV being extremely subpar would have effected sales.

As far as Slash fans and them being kicked out of gigs, totally would have affected sales, they wouldn't of bought an album from Axl being kicked out of a concert or anyone that stood against that.  The Slash vs Axl war was at it's ultimate back then.

Granted alot of people wait for Axl no doubt, he is brilliant but with all I have said, I guess I am the minority in this stance but I think 02 would have been a terrible time to release it.

Even he thought so.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

Even he thought so.

he still does.

elmir wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

Even he thought so.

he still does.

Maybe so, I guess it's never a good time sad

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Sales will be much less than anyone here cares to admit. I would have bought this thing last year, even this year. Now I might just download. Call me what you want, but Axl has yanked my chain long enough. I've poured money into concerts, merchandise, DVDs, shitty live albums, keeping myself interested in this. I don't care to give him anymore.

I was a die-hard, still consider myself hard-core, but there are other people out there like me who have given up. It'll affect sales, no doubt. The only way this CD goes bonkers is if it catches the casual fan with a monster first single (no crap like She Builds Quick Machines or whatever it was). Maybe a double single release: a ballad for the ladies and a rocker. Maybe "The Blues" and a good rock song, perhaps CD, but hopefully something unheard. Then, maybe it starts strong. But it ain't gonna last. Not many releases do nowadays.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Best time to release the album for pure SALES numbers? 1997-1999. Lol. Illegal downloading still wasn't SUPER mainstream, GNR still had people waiting for some new news... Axl didn't have his 2002 look yet. Coulda sold alot, even without a tour. MTV might have even played them (Lol)

Past 1999? I don't think it matters anymore. 2002 could have been good, but so could have all the other years.

All that being said, I'm pretty sure the album could still sell well if marketed right (and it sounds like Axl's pushing for that... according to some rumors..)

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Axl saying fans weren't ready for GNR in 2002 is a lame cop out. The only person who wasn't ready was Axl, and like Elmir pointed out, he still isn't ready. There was a huge buzz at the time, and all this "freak" shit is just hindsight talking. It didn't happen so its safe for people to say why it didn't happen. If we're in 2010 and the album still isn't out, people will have a list of excuses as to why this version of the band didn't do it either.

We're in 2007, and the high point for this band is still Madagascar at Rio in 2001. Would the album have sold back then? Abso-fucking-lutely.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I honestly think another 6-8 month 'silent' period with no definite release date most 'hard core' fans will just give up and find somewhere else to place their loyalty. The public might give a shit, but the music will have to be good and Axl will have to get out there and promote the damn thing

Robman
 Rep: 5 

Robman wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Key moment to release it was fall 2002 weeks after the VMA's, and the last good chance it had was immediately after the 2006 leaks.

Nothing will ever bring interest in the album like it would've had in years past. The myth is dead and his own fanbase is in its death throes and the media doesn't care either. Last year, the most pro Axl supporter in the media(Kurt Loder) was on some podcast and not only questioned the album's existence but said it was a "fiasco". The media didn't even blink this year when they toured overseas. Some will say, "well it was overseas so they didn't care". If true, why did the media talk about M.I.A's overseas tour, and she is a mid level artist? Face it. No one cares but the few thousand spread out on these forums. Baz shoved Axl down the world's throat for 2 solid months and it only got him 6 thousand copies sold in the US. Not a coincidence.

I've said this for a long time but I'll say it again. This album will be lucky to debut in the top 10, and will be lucky to still be in the top 200 a month after its release. Only way this album is guaranteed a top 10 spot is if Uni releases it during a week where NOTHING is going on.

As Buzzsaw mentioned, the downloading ers guarantees low sales anyways, and when you pile everything else on, things look pretty bleak. His other point about music fans not looking for a man approaching 50 to take over the rock world is the absolute truth.

I said this at HTGTH many moons ago: Best Axl/new GNR can hope for is a Rod Stewart late 80's type career with less album sales and less media attention.

This isn't a knock against the band. I love the CD songs. But just because I love those songs doesn't mean I need to put blinders on and act like its going to be peaches and cream.  Its not, and I think more and more people are now willing to admit that.

Is there a reason you compare everything regarding GNR with M.I.A? Is she any good?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Robman wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Key moment to release it was fall 2002 weeks after the VMA's, and the last good chance it had was immediately after the 2006 leaks.

Nothing will ever bring interest in the album like it would've had in years past. The myth is dead and his own fanbase is in its death throes and the media doesn't care either. Last year, the most pro Axl supporter in the media(Kurt Loder) was on some podcast and not only questioned the album's existence but said it was a "fiasco". The media didn't even blink this year when they toured overseas. Some will say, "well it was overseas so they didn't care". If true, why did the media talk about M.I.A's overseas tour, and she is a mid level artist? Face it. No one cares but the few thousand spread out on these forums. Baz shoved Axl down the world's throat for 2 solid months and it only got him 6 thousand copies sold in the US. Not a coincidence.

I've said this for a long time but I'll say it again. This album will be lucky to debut in the top 10, and will be lucky to still be in the top 200 a month after its release. Only way this album is guaranteed a top 10 spot is if Uni releases it during a week where NOTHING is going on.

As Buzzsaw mentioned, the downloading ers guarantees low sales anyways, and when you pile everything else on, things look pretty bleak. His other point about music fans not looking for a man approaching 50 to take over the rock world is the absolute truth.

I said this at HTGTH many moons ago: Best Axl/new GNR can hope for is a Rod Stewart late 80's type career with less album sales and less media attention.

This isn't a knock against the band. I love the CD songs. But just because I love those songs doesn't mean I need to put blinders on and act like its going to be peaches and cream.  Its not, and I think more and more people are now willing to admit that.

Is there a reason you compare everything regarding GNR with M.I.A? Is she any good?

A p2p site(or youtube) is your best friend.:thumbup::rock:

The comparison is valid. People say the media didn't care about GNR touring in foreign markets, yet they cared enough to cover a mid level artist such as M.I.A. So if those people are correct, it means new GNR are on an even lower scale than M.I.A.

I only make comparisons regarding specific situations. M.I.A. is nothing like GNR, and the music is entirely different.

Board footer