You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

Neemo wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i think it was madagas who posted the rumored final take by Azoff/Uni/Axl and when you divided it by the amout of units which they reportedly puirchased it was a high number per unit that they paid...i looked for that convo but i couldnt find it for the life of me hmm

I believe that of the funds Best Buy paid for CD.  Azoff got $2M, Axl got $1M and Universal received the rest as reimbursement of it's costs etc.

Not a bad pick up for Azoff for doing not much at all - although he did manage to prise the CD out of Axl's hands so credit for that.  Unfortunately it appears it was then run into the ground with a shithouse promo, release strategy etc etc.  Although you could probably point the finger at a few people for that (Axl included) not just Azoff.

I wouldn't be surprised if Azoff was on the outer now after how everything has gone down.

wow if that's true he made out like a bandit...azoff/gould come in Late March 08 and by Late November they get the BB exclusive and a 2 million dollar paycheck? not bad for 8 months....and Axl got only half that? that must burn his ass.....can you imagine working on something for a decade and some dude came in last minute and made double what you did? i know i'd be a bit miffed hmm

does anyone remember what the rumored $$$ that BB paid for that deal?

Edit: i found somethign saying that BB bought 1.3 million copies...so assume 1.3mill times $10 thats 13mill...so azoff took 2 axl took 1 and uni made $10million? plues world wide sales....hot damn

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

You are correct though that to GNR and Uni, it didn't matter. They got their money upfront, and thats why they so willingly released a half assed product.

That's what I meant. It's irrelevant to them who buys the copies as long as they sell off their stock of CD's. Obviously, BB didn't order more copies though!

I think you're counting in this hardcore buyer deal as more than what it really is. The percentage who bought more than 1 copy is quite possibly just a fraction of the sales. It wouldn't have made much difference anyway. And even so, I would expect that all long-running bands have the same percentage of fans doing so, so to say the hardcores saved the album for truly crashing isn't right. I doubt GNR fans are any different than AC/DC fans, Metallica fans or any other fans in buying album copies.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
Neemo wrote:

...so azoff took 2 axl took 1 and uni made $10million? plues world wide sales....hot damn

which brings Axl vs Uni conflict back to 0....no one owes anyone anything...they're square....which is potentially a whole bag of trouble in itself...

Axl no longer has anyone to blackmail...which is not good, as he is clearly used to it by now...he would potentially love to pack his bags and shop the rest of his new catalogue to someone else (Sony, EMI)....but Universal still make a solid amount of GNR's back catalogue, so they won't let him go...no way...

he has no money to take on a giant like that legally and win....so he's stuck with them...forever...nothing he can do there...

They won't get into another advance negotiation with him ever again, meaning he can't milk them for another ridiculous amount based on his past glory...

which kind of puts him in a very sticky situation....he's with a record company he doesn't want to be with, he can't really get out of it, and he's used up all the favors/myths he could have with them....they're not buying into anything anymore...

The tour/promotion/whatever else is purely at his own expense right now...and i'm guessing this is the reason we didn't see any of it just yet...

either its too expensive for him to handle by himself...as it would have to be global...

or he genuinely also doesn't think that this material will be as profitable as he would like it to be...it may pay for itself if he goes on tour, but it won't make huge amounts of money to stash away...

fucked up situation....bigtime....for Howard Hughes of rock to be in...quite sad actually...

oh, and those who think that Azoff/Gould are out....i agree with you....no way in hell would heavyweights like that be sitting on their asses and doing nothing...their profitability purely relies on turning over projects and getting their bands/artists out there to make them money...

Axl/GNR are stagnant right now...which to me indicates that this duo has either packed their bags and left, or have been booted out by mr Red.

DCK

DCK wrote:

Axl/GNR are stagnant right now...which to me indicates that this duo has either packed their bags and left, or have been booted out by mr Red.

I wouldn't be so sure. I've seen so many people make claims like that only to be surprised when suddenly the wheel suddenly starts rolling again.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
DCK wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure. I've seen so many people make claims like that only to be surprised when suddenly the wheel suddenly starts rolling again.

well, the wheels will start rolling again...considering music and this band is his only source of income, they are bound to start rolling eventually...

Sky Dog wrote:
elmir wrote:
Neemo wrote:

...so azoff took 2 axl took 1 and uni made $10million? plues world wide sales....hot damn

which brings Axl vs Uni conflict back to 0....no one owes anyone anything...they're square....which is potentially a whole bag of trouble in itself...

Axl no longer has anyone to blackmail...which is not good, as he is clearly used to it by now...he would potentially love to pack his bags and shop the rest of his new catalogue to someone else (Sony, EMI)....but Universal still make a solid amount of GNR's back catalogue, so they won't let him go...no way...

he has no money to take on a giant like that legally and win....so he's stuck with them...forever...nothing he can do there...

They won't get into another advance negotiation with him ever again, meaning he can't milk them for another ridiculous amount based on his past glory...

which kind of puts him in a very sticky situation....he's with a record company he doesn't want to be with, he can't really get out of it, and he's used up all the favors/myths he could have with them....they're not buying into anything anymore...

The tour/promotion/whatever else is purely at his own expense right now...and i'm guessing this is the reason we didn't see any of it just yet...

either its too expensive for him to handle by himself...as it would have to be global...

or he genuinely also doesn't think that this material will be as profitable as he would like it to be...it may pay for itself if he goes on tour, but it won't make huge amounts of money to stash away...

fucked up situation....bigtime....for Howard Hughes of rock to be in...quite sad actually...

oh, and those who think that Azoff/Gould are out....i agree with you....no way in hell would heavyweights like that be sitting on their asses and doing nothing...their profitability purely relies on turning over projects and getting their bands/artists out there to make them money...

very possible....Axl did say in the chats that they were under contract with Universal still....not a good situation when you go around ripping and blaming your business partner in a public forum. 17

ps Neemo, yes, the best buy deal basically paid for the cost of the album....Best Buy deal only dealt with the US so worlwide sales of roughly 1.5 million are possibly more profit for Axl/Irving and the label. We don't really know because we have no idea what the full details of the deal were.:/

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:

That has only happened - ONCE.

I get so sick of the 2006 argument, after four years of inactivity, and somehow that vindicates someone making the call of 'rolling'.

I'm not saying you DCK, but seriously, this band has been inactive more than active, and it's like when people say it, somehow no one can jump on that ship, because it's been proven wrong, well... never. If someone said in 2004, they're done, just because they toured in 2006-07 doesn't mean their wrong. The only thing some people were wrong about was "the album will never come out".

Great post Elmir.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

The people that said the album was never coming out should have been right.  That would have been better for the brand GnR than the product they ended up releasing.  Now the curiosity factor is gone, so whenever they decide to try to release a quality product in the future, it will fall on deaf ears.

DCK

DCK wrote:

I'm not saying you DCK, but seriously, this band has been inactive more than active, and it's like when people say it, somehow no one can jump on that ship, because it's been proven wrong, well... never. If someone said in 2004, they're done, just because they toured in 2006-07 doesn't mean their wrong. The only thing some people were wrong about was "the album will never come out".

Now you're just playing with the definition of when a band is finished or not.

The people that said the album was never coming out should have been right.  That would have been better for the brand GnR than the product they ended up releasing.  Now the curiosity factor is gone, so whenever they decide to try to release a quality product in the future, it will fall on deaf ears.

Let me get this straight, you would much rather see no album than the one we got?

What was wrong with it? The booklet? The sound? I thought the booklet errors were lame but I thought the quality of the recording was great and the songs likewise. Another question of what someone define as "quality".

I'd rather see Chinese Democracy than no Chinese Democracy. I'd rather see demo recordings than no recordings at all. I like music. I like this type of music and I welcome any I get.

Both of these are bad arguments IMO.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

No Buzz is right, and I say this as a big CD fan.

Think about it. It's a double-edged sword. We have the great CD, which is cool, but outside the hardcores it's DOA. At the same time we have this great album, it killed the curiosity for the world. Had the album stayed legend, and never been released, it would've always been a myth.

Seriously, the myth has been greater than the actual album itself, as good as it is.

And if you think of 16 years since 1993, one with new studio material, and two years total added together of live shows = active, and continuing band "rolling". Good for you DCK. I guess you also must consider Queen & Alice In Chains active bands since 1995 too.

Board footer