You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Re: ok i take it this is official confirmation dj ashba hasnt left gnr...

Stepvhen wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

But they still managed to sell 35,000 tickets and sell out the RDS Arena in Dublin back in 2006.

More than Metallica two days later.

I'm just saying... Things weren't exactly bad in Europe.

From what I have seen Guns have a VERY hardcore European fanbase. ESPECIALLY in Germany Spain and Ireland. I can tell you if GNR said they were gonna do Slane this year in Ireland it would Sell out. ! If they did Oxegen they would headline whereas NIN and Janes Addiction were on the 2nd stage .. THe killers headlined of NIN....!!! Chinese Democracy did Well in Ireland too much better than I had expected. I was in Limerick when it came out HMV was covered in Posters and had LOTS of Cases for sale on the morning at least half of those were gone after lunch that same day.... ANyway I got no official figures or any of that fancy shit so I'll just say Germany Ireland and Spain in that order MASSIVE guns n roses fanbases. (Im basing this on NU GNR by the way old Gnr goes with out saying as having a massive following in most coutries)

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

I was in Limerick when it came out HMV was covered in Posters and had LOTS of Cases for sale on the morning at least half of those were gone after lunch that same day..

The botched promotion is one of the most unfortunate aspects of the release. Love or hate the album, but that part of it was handled terribly. Hell, even Best Buy stores didn't all have those displays up, which is idiotic. The album wasn't gonna sell by the truck load here under any circumstance, but Best Buy and to a certain extent Uni didn't even give it a chance.

ANyway I got no official figures or any of that fancy shit so I'll just say Germany Ireland and Spain in that order MASSIVE guns n roses fanbases. (Im basing this on NU GNR

"Nu GNR" doesn't have a massive fanbase anywhere. They have a fan base in the thousands worldwide, and the rest are either casual fans or fans of the old band. There isn't even a promo pic of any post 93 line up in existence, they've never did one interview with a mainstream media outlet(Tommy the exception), but you think they have a massive fan base? Gimme some of what you're smoking or snorting.... 16

If they toured right now and you went to a show, you could poll the audience and probably one out of every thousand people could name the members of the band.

I do agree that GNR seems to have a bigger Euro base than U.S., but lets not go off the deep end.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

i agree with that 1 in 1000 number about naming the band. i figure 99% of fans that can name the band members belong to one of the major forums, and thats not a whole bunch of people.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

Dude, name me one band that doesnt have a bigger fanbase in Europe.

They just get music.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The thing is none of that changes it really...

The idea put foward was that we havn't seen DJ play with the band,or indeed any form of post album show, is because Axl is blacklisted by promoters etc.

I'm saying there is nothing to support that idea really.

That 1 in 1 Million people don't know the band members names. That album sales arn't good. That some shows were half full n the past. That it might be festivals. None of that really changes the point....

Axl would be able to play a show of some kind. Arguing about whether its a stadium, arena, theatre, or my lounge room isn't the point, he has the ability to play some kind of show if he chooses. So it's not that promoters won't deal with him - it's something else causing the delay - either some personal issue of his own, or some other legal drama or whatever causes all the delays in the gnr world - it's not going to be that he can't get a gig.

He could walk into one of those festival shows. Even if every audience memeber was there to see the other bands not GNR, not relevant, he'd still be invited to play them - I mean Baz is a lesser star worldwide - who's album sold a lot less than CD - and he just had to turn down 5 big festival shows.

So why ever we are in a silent period, I'm pretty sure it's not because Axl can't get booked.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

i agree with that 1 in 1000 number about naming the band. i figure 99% of fans that can name the band members belong to one of the major forums, and thats not a whole bunch of people.

I haven't met one person, besides myself, in the last several years that is a fan of new Guns. Most either don't care, because it's "fake GNR" or casuals that are in love with the old band, and still think the band ended in 1994, and never revived. Most you run into, some with GN'R shirts on, that know EVERY SONG in the old catalog will sit back and say... "wha??? Axl went on tour with a new Guns? When the fuck did this happen?"

I wore a new GN'R shirt the other, that blue-Guns one from 2006, like the shirt, and got alot of compliments on it, saying it was very unique, and they'd never seen a Guns N' Roses shirt like that, and it was very cool... then... they saw the tour dates on the back, and freaked. Several were like, "wait... this is a concert tee? When the fuck did they tour?"

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

I was in Limerick when it came out HMV was covered in Posters and had LOTS of Cases for sale on the morning at least half of those were gone after lunch that same day..

The botched promotion is one of the most unfortunate aspects of the release. Love or hate the album, but that part of it was handled terribly. Hell, even Best Buy stores didn't all have those displays up, which is idiotic. The album wasn't gonna sell by the truck load here under any circumstance, but Best Buy and to a certain extent Uni didn't even give it a chance.

ANyway I got no official figures or any of that fancy shit so I'll just say Germany Ireland and Spain in that order MASSIVE guns n roses fanbases. (Im basing this on NU GNR

"Nu GNR" doesn't have a massive fanbase anywhere. They have a fan base in the thousands worldwide, and the rest are either casual fans or fans of the old band. There isn't even a promo pic of any post 93 line up in existence, they've never did one interview with a mainstream media outlet(Tommy the exception), but you think they have a massive fan base? Gimme some of what you're smoking or snorting.... 16

If they toured right now and you went to a show, you could poll the audience and probably one out of every thousand people could name the members of the band.

I do agree that GNR seems to have a bigger Euro base than U.S., but lets not go off the deep end.

Maybe fanbase is the wrong phrase. They do not have active fans talking about them on a regular basis or even following the band on the internet are up to date etc. it is commonly accepted though that GNR  is Axl and his new guys. There are very little hardcore fanbases for any bands in europe outside of Metallica and Slipknot. Apart from that most europeans follow flavour of the month Killers/Kings of Leon mass produced shit when it comes to rock.
Then there are the Sacred Cows. The bands that though they have no "Active" fans every body has respect for and nobody would pass up the chance to see them in concert (for a fairly priced ticket fee were talking 60e-80e for GNR). Their albums and singles may ot even sell that well but they earn respect for their overall body of work and whatever God Like Image they have forged for themselves. These highly respected and revered bands are Guns N Roses, Oasis, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Aerosmith and Ac/Dc

The Chillis  reached this status only lately and of all of these Oasis are the most relevant with huge album sales and single sales to this day. These bands are unshakeable in the heart of Europe.

Guns and Axl in particular hold icon status here still. A lot of Europe is Pro Axl. Take for instance the Germany. When guns bust out in 1987/8 Axl epitomised the rebellious brave FREE male stereotype that so many young berlin men wished they could be. He was the American dream, the Face and Voice of western democracy for so many young german men oppressed by the political situation at the time and by that device mental bullying/conditioning that was the Berlin wall. Axl not slash was their icon.
I can still remember the German Books I used to have in School (only 4 years ago) where there would be interviews with german kids about their lives (all these books were from the 88/89 era as the wall was coming down) They would always be questioned on sport and music. Their sports heroes were always the ones who achieved against great odds and created new lives for themselves in democratic USA and Europe.
Their heroes always the Same Always Axl Rose as he was a symbol of freedom to them.We used to do listening tests where our teacher would play tapes of these interviews and we would have to translate the interviews.
Shit like that isnt easily forgotten. Those kids are working adults now with the cash to see thier child hood hero. You can call it nostalgia but its a very potent nostalgia that links to strong memories for them.

There are a lot of Polish in Ireland that moved over to work during the boom. ANy of Polish friends when I ask them about it have an undieing respect for Axl as he was the same for them a Cultural icon.

Even in Ireland during the late 80s when we were all piss poor. He was a cultural icon that represent the Poor farm Boy made good. Thats what we were back then a Nation of poor farm boys. He was a Cultural symbol here an inspiration I have memories of watching the YCBM vid in 1992 and being in awe of the man while my best friends sister was telling me a 5year old kid that she was gonna marry Axl Rose she was about 8 at the time smile . Axl was ALWAYS THE man among the mainstream culture in Europe. Those who played music themselves had respect for Slash as a musician but he was never the cultural Icon Axl was and remains to be to this day over here.

Funny thing is this was passed on. This love of Axl was passed from Sibling to Sibling and Father to Son -NO JOKE-  I was introduced to Guns N Roses when a close frined of mine was Given Use your Illusions 2 by his Brother one Christmas. He Taped it and gave it to me This was in 2001. I been hooked ever since. I love them. My little sister holds them in the highest regard due to me influencing her by playing the damn thing 24/7.

Wow what a rant....

Anyway Axl is an Icon here he could roll into town unannounced with with Drake Bell (from Drake & Josh) on lead guitar and it would stirr up so much comotion that within an hour hed be playing to the inhabitants of every townin a 100 mile radius

Itchy GTR
 Rep: 5 

Itchy GTR wrote:

Well I'm actually hoping he will leave so that Axl will than look over my e-mail that I'd sent to his management company and give me a call.

smile

(But with all respect if DJ does manage to work well with Axl and the rest of the gang than that is great.)

Board footer