You are not logged in. Please register or login.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

Re: Where do Guns N' Roses Go from here?

CSS 2.0 wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

14 they don`t release albums because Axl does n`t want to, not because Izzy is n`t there.

It baffles me why some of you ascribe to Izzy supernatural powers when he`s nothing but a mediocre rhythm guitarist.

You really think NTLF tour would have been any different had Izzy been involved ? get a reality check 14

That's not what I said, but yes - or at least in part.

Izzy isn't a person who's capable of going on tour for 2 to 3 years without creating and releasing new material. It makes him itch. I don't believe he would've agreed to come back without a guarantee.

I'm not trying to ascribe him supernatural powers as much as pointing out the only time they've tried to do so without him they completely imploded.

As far as him only being a "mediocre rhythm guitarist"... Please.

Now I don't know if they are or aren't writing new music (I'm sure Slash & Duff have in some capacity) but I very much doubt Axl has taken the time to. If that were to happen the most likely scenario would be overdubbing unreleased CD tracks.

I do agree he probably doesn't want to release an album. Why? Out of fear.

The process of recording and eventually releasing Chinese Democracy shook him to the core and I think he's absolutely terrified of going through all that again.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

They "imploded" because, well, everyone knows why.

Izzy`s presence would n`t have changed jackshit.

In fact, it did n`t. Nothing came out of 95 sessions.

If all he can offer these days is crap like these

He can go farm avocados.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I suspect it'll pan out with Slash and Duff adding contributions to CD2 tracks (according to MSL, they've already done that for at least a few tracks). But we could also get some tracks written by the current incarnation of the band. While Slash is off working with the Conspirators and Duff's doing Walking Papers early next year, that provides a five-month window of opportunity for Axl to work on... something. Potentially he could record some vocals for new tracks penned while they were on the road.

All of this "they're running out of time" panic is a load of flapdoodle though. We know they have at least an album's worth of tracks from CD2 with Axl vocals that potentially date back to the late 90s. So even if he lost his voice completely (spoiler: he won't) there's no shortage of vocal material, and it takes no time at all for Slash and Duff to lay down guitar and bass tracks. The challenge comes from getting Axl to come up with new lyrics for Slash/Duff penned tracks. Even that isn't as daunting as it sounds; didn't they work up Shackler's Revenge pretty late in the day? IIRC the lyrics were written in response to a shooting where the perpetrator was supposedly inspired by GN'R tracks, and the date was – relatively speaking – not too long before the release of the album.

I suppose if they really wanted to get a new Duff track on there and Axl's struggling to come up with lyrics, they could have Duff do the vocal.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I suppose if they really wanted to get a new Duff track on there and Axl's struggling to come up with lyrics, they could have Duff do the vocal.

Tommy did the same with Going Down, so valid point maybe.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

All of this "they're running out of time" panic is a load of flapdoodle though. We know they have at least an album's worth of tracks from CD2 with Axl vocals that potentially date back to the late 90s.

Studio wise I agree.

The next album could be killer even if Axl is reduced to sign language, it's mostly in the can from his power years.

Not sure how the live shows would work though. He was visibly struggling by the conclusion of this leg. It doesn't seem like he's going to be one of those Steven Tyler types that can deliver powerful vocals into his 70s.

But the real "running out of time" issue is health.

With their medical backgrounds and the history of bodily abuse i would be very surprised if someone doesn't have some tangible issues within the next 10 years.

Which seems like a long time until you consider we're talking about releasing old stuff written in 1999 because the last release in 2008 left it off.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

With their medical backgrounds and the history of bodily abuse i would be very surprised if someone doesn't have some tangible issues within the next 10 years.

Yeah – if anything, the one to worry about is Slash, given that he's got a bloody pacemaker. Duff's very clean living these days, and Axl's always seemed healthy as a horse.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I don't agree elevenday.

It took two full years from 1985 to 1987 to put together Appetite and the bits and pieces had been in play since what, 1983? The sooner the better.

A new album would be the first new step. Another two year tour to back the album as the real money maker.

And it's doubtful they'd do one farewell album. If you look at most rock acts, it's 4-5 years between albums. They aren't getting any younger.

We all know about Axl Time but he hardly has an abundance of precious time.

My chips are still on that it's never going to happen.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah – if anything, the one to worry about is Slash, given that he's got a bloody pacemaker. Duff's very clean living these days, and Axl's always seemed healthy as a horse.

The pacemaker is a good thing. If he didn’t have it he may already be dead.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

not holding my breath for an album, but i don't see any reason why guns can't drop a song for a movie soundtrack in 2018.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

If you look at most rock acts, it's 4-5 years between albums. They aren't getting any younger.

Wow, you might be the last person on earth still hoping for 'multiple' Guns albums.

dalethirsty wrote:

not holding my breath for an album, but i don't see any reason why guns can't drop a song for a movie soundtrack in 2018.

That's more like it. A song 16  I'd actually be cool with that, so long as its an obviously fresh track, and not a CD2 cut with a Slash solo pasted in.

At best, I could maybe see a CD2/outakes type album, maybe box settish thing, and possibly later a newer written album with Slash & Duff contributions to the writing process. My guess is that the band kinda breaks up & a CD2 type thing is released, but nothing special. If it doesn't happen or get announced in 2018 I don't have high hopes.

Board footer