You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: Chinese Democracy is 12 years old

exoterica wrote:

Happy birthday to one of the greatest and most frustrating albums of all time!

I will never forget when If The World leaked. I played it maybe 5 times in a row because it was such a fun song. It was that sort of weirdness and talent that encapsulates the New Gn’R lineup.

I’m grateful for the cast of characters who put their heart and soul into recording it and getting it released.

Cheers. 5

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

When elderly people say it's about the journey not the destination, Chinese Democracy comes to mind.
The saga is much much more fascinating than the final product and the lackluster release just made it all so frustrating.
Hopefully we get a definitive edition someday, with what was originally intended.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
otto wrote:

When elderly people say it's about the journey not the destination, Chinese Democracy comes to mind.
The saga is much much more fascinating than the final product and the lackluster release just made it all so frustrating.
Hopefully we get a definitive edition someday, with what was originally intended.

Yeah, that's funny. 12 years later & alot of us are still here. It's like 25 years with 1 album, jeeez.

The saga was nuts. The RIR 2000(?) 2002 VMA's, collapsed tour, 2004 BH quits, 2006 leaks. They were all like breadcrumbs keeping you tuned in just enough. I didn't really follow it all till the VMA's, I just happened to be watching by coincidence. Funny, if I didn't see that live I'm not sure I'd be totally on board like I've been, I was pretty amped that night. Was always a huge Guns fan, GnR & Nirvana are basically my fave 2 bands.

Anyway, ashame Axl disappeared thru the latter 90s, and the band breaking up. They were the bridge from AIC to Metallica, and I think they could've survived the grunge era with a decent 95 album.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:
otto wrote:

The real Chinese Democracy was the friends we made along the way.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Hard to believe more time has went by since its release than how long we waited for its release.

Some of those leaks were exciting.

I wish the Village Sessions leak had happened in 2004-05. A leak of that magnitude would've sped up the albums release.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I remember that day so vividly...I took a bus to the nearest Best Buy and then walked about to a favorite bar of mine to watch the Bears game. I set the disc on the bar and someone asked me what it was...

I was excited to share the news of a Gn'R album with someone new and his response was underwhelming. He didn't intentionally rain on my parade...he just kinda shrugged and was like 'huh?...ok cool...'

I listened to it non-stop for the rest of the year pretty much.

I tried to share it with many friends but they usually scoffed and shook their heads. Obviously, they hadn't followed as closely to the bread crumb trail as I had over the years.

I think that's the part I remember most...the bittersweet realization that this had taken so long that no one 'normal' even cared anymore.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Not everyone can be a Goonie wink

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Ah man, I remember listening to the leaked version of Madagascar, walking around London and thinking how amazing it was that I was finally getting to hear the studio version. And booking the day off work, sitting down with my Dr Pepper and blasting Chinese Democracy all the way through when it finally dropped was something else.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

We all put so much faith in Axl taking the GN’R brand, and taking it places that he felt the classic lineup couldn’t. But by the time CD was actually released, with little promo or push from Axl, it just seemed like it missed the mark. Too little, too late.

I always felt it should’ve come out in 2006, when Axl looked and sounded like he had something to prove.

That said, I still love some songs on there (Madagascar, Better, TWAT, Street of Dreams), and hate some others (Scraped).

And I still couldn’t believe we actually got it after so many years and years of rumours and speculation.

Sky Dog wrote:

At this point, I only really listen to about 4 songs from the official release.

There Was A Time
IRS
Madagascar
Prostitute

He could have done significant damage control in 2008 had he released it as a 2 CD set.

axl

Board footer