You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Current Events Thread

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

The problem with that statement is that there is nothing in the real world that supports it. Deaths are not up. Not this year, not the last.

Assuming those figures are right, I'd say it's probably because we just did some of the most intense lockdowns in the world.

In my state we we had "stay at home orders" for 277 days last year.

For a good portion of that time everything except supermarkets and pharmacies were closed to in person shoppers (online deliveries only) and for quite a lot of it we had nightly curfews and rules saying you can't go more than a few miles from home for any reason. The kind of draconian stuff you are scared off....but until delta it did work.....we had fuck all cases compared to the rest of the world and for a time we actually got back to covid zero and opened up again in the middle.

So yeah our death rate is not that high compared to other nations....yet....but now we have lost control....we have a delta and omicron outbreak thats increasing quite drastically....and a good part of the population needs their boosters renewed...but we're heading into xmas and we're all so sick of restrictions that now we're back open a lot of people are being very incautious.

So the stats that support it are this:

Australia has around 2378 available intensive care beds.

Covid has a hospitalisation rate of around 4%.

We had 5729 new cases today. Thats 300 people that are going to wind up in the hospital at least for a time.

These numbers are small now, but with vaccine coverage waining (in age) and reduced effectiveness against the new variants the growth will be exponential.

It's not going to take a lot of super spread events to fill those left over beds up.

Then you'll see the death rates you're looking for.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Who’s filling the hospital beds and ventilators? Crisis actors?

Are they filled? I've been to the hospital a couple of times the last 2 years when it was supposed to be swamped and there was nothing going on. Never seen it so empty. If there is a problem now it surely has to do with the downscaling of the health services in the West over the last 30 years (economizing them, thanks America), but there is also the issue of firing health workers for not submitting to mandates and people quitting due to overwork. In any case there is no noticeable change in people dying. A little less this year than the last in most countries. It has got nothing to do with lockdowns or vaccines because there are plenty of countries with little or no lockdowns and vaccines.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Australia has around 2378 available intensive care beds.

Covid has a hospitalisation rate of around 4%.

We had 5729 new cases today. Thats 300 people that are going to wind up in the hospital at least for a time.

These numbers are small now, but with vaccine coverage waining (in age) and reduced effectiveness against the new variants the growth will be exponential.

It's not going to take a lot of super spread events to fill those left over beds up.

Then you'll see the death rates you're looking for.

2300 beds in a country of 25 million. A rich, first world country. That is pathetic and solely at the hands of the government administration. It is even more pathetic to try and pawn the responsibility over on the population who have been super compliant and good little bees on their part and the government has done nothing but impose restrictions without any empirical data to support them.

Oh we might see a death rate if this charade keeps up, but it certainly won't be due to healthy young people. That's the kind of world they are taking you to.

Sky Dog wrote:

This is going to go down as one of the biggest charades in the history of mankind. Bad news is that my daughter and her family have to suffer for it. From here on out, anyone that has  sniffles will have Covid or a variant of it. I guess this is our Great Depression.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

My 4 year old son had covid in October and has been coughing ever since. I know my truth. If you haven’t been personally affected and think it’s sniffles good for you.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

2300 beds in a country of 25 million. A rich, first world country. That is pathetic and solely at the hands of the government administration.

That's the point though - normally for the rest of our lives that number has been enough - our hospital system is world class and has been easily able to deal with the day to day emergencies - road traumas, emergency surgeries, heart stuff whatever. At the end of the day it's normally not all that often in an average person's life they have to go to the ICU.

But once every 100 years or so a pandemic comes along that wildly increases the hospitalisation rates.

Now I guess in an ideal world the government could have prepared for this happening decades ago, but then what would that have been in normal years like 2008 - a giant hospital waiting around completely empty except for the hundreds of trained ICU staff paid to wait around incase a pandemic happens in the next couple of decades. It doesn't make sense.

So then the next idea would be that when the pandemic was discovered we could build it then - but it turns out rather than just make more beds in a room the reason ICU is effective is the level of trained staff for each patient - so we have to get more nurses - but where can we get them - it takes years to train a new one - and we can't import them as every country in the world is currently experiencing the same problem.

So that's the situation the government found itself in - a contagious disease that is going to increase hospital admissions massively above the levels of our previous world - and no way to increase the hospital capacity fast enough to cope with the demand. So all that is left to them is measures to reduce the severity of the outbreaks..or stager their effects across time so that the hosptials do not become over run.....and the only ways we really have to do that is stuff like reducing exposure to each other with lockdowns, wearing protective gear when we can, and getting people to take vaccines. And to keep researching into better treatments/preventative medicines. That's literally all that can be done.

It massively sucks, but it's not like some evil agenda - it's just that the if we don't - the hospital will be so full that if i crash my car or have a heart issue or something nothing can be done about it - and no one wants that.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

There always has to be a conspiracy. Always. It's the same people who take this debate into crazy town.

I feel better that I got the shots. That's me. My government isn't competent enough to perpetrate some grand conspiracy. Will politicians try to exploit it for their own means? Absolutely. But when you've lost Trump, the Anti-vaxxers need some self-reflection. It's your right not to take it, I don't judge you at all, but that's not a two-way street.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Donald Trump: 'The Vaccine is one of the greatest achievements of mankind' 'All three vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, J&J) are very good' ... 'The vaccines work - If you take the vaccine you are protected' ... 'People aren't dying when they take the vaccine' ... The ones who get very sick and go to the hospital are the ones that don’t take the vaccine. … if you do get it, it’s a very minor form. .. People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.” -Donald Trump

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/23/politics … index.html

So the Saudi's are building missiles with Chinese help.  Tell me again who has a better foreign relations record - the guy who ended ISIS and got several Arab nations to recognize Israel, or the guy who alienates our allies, destroyed Afghanistan and now has our only ally save Israel in the ME building Chinese missiles.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It massively sucks, but it's not like some evil agenda - it's just that the if we don't - the hospital will be so full that if i crash my car or have a heart issue or something nothing can be done about it - and no one wants that.

This basically happened (and may still be happening) in US States and Cities overrun by covid patients.  The people with other illnesses/issues not deemed life threatening or whatnot got pushed back.  I'm really not sure how anyone can argue that these hospitals aren't getting overrun by mostly unvaxxed covid patients.

Board footer