You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

AtariLegend wrote:

The Other that raised the dead is the TV show version of the Night's King. He is the leader of the Others (AKA White Walkers on the show). All of them can raise the dead (and presumably freeze the water, but alas plot armor for the moment), they just wanted to make a show of it with the Night's King doing it.

Hardhome is more complicated in the books, but can't say why yet. Next 2 episodes are going to be big ones, regardless of deviations the last big moments from the published books are coming!

Jon's sword is made of Valyrian steel which is implied to be Dragon Steel (which is made by something else magical), however no one knows how to make them anymore and there's only a dozen or so of them known to exist which are in the hands of people who wouldn't be giving them up.

Jamie gave his sword to Brienne and the sword Joffery had was presumably given to Tommen. Littlefinger has a dagger made from it and Sam's father (who we haven't met yet) has one.

Regardless, they better hope Stannis sent word to Dragonstone (his island/castle) to mine for Dragonglass in the tv show.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Killer episode
Stannis just went to a guy I liked to a major WTF moment
Drogon scene was so badass, but the flying part looked cheap.
Ayra wants revenge
Jon Snow has tough decision, but will give in to stannis.
Jamie got off very easy in Dorne, almost too easy, but it is okay.  Time to save his sister.

AtariLegend wrote:

If Shireen get's killed/burned in the next book, it'll be by Mel and her mother's hands not Stannis. In the books the last time we see Stannis at the start of TWOW he says " — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt." if something happens to him. It's complete character assassination in the show. Stannis is a grey character, but so is Tyrion. Even Danny is to a lesser extent, but both Danny/Tyrion are white washed and portrayed as the 2 main characters in the story.

I didn't see why they made Meryn Trant a pedophile, I guess it was because they were afraid show watchers might not remember that he was a bad guy?

Why would Jon and the Wildlings be approaching Castle Black from the other side of the wall? I guess they went back to Hardhome jumped off the boats and ran to the wall. Really weird illogical scene.

Dorne in the TV show makes no sense, unless there's a plot twist next week it's pointless. They cut the characters and Doran's endgame from the story apparently. Him giving the Lannisters back a political hostage and giving them another one in his own son makes no sense.

As for the pit, I'm tempted to question why they made Jorah one of the best fighters in the story. That said the pit was okay despite the changes, but Danny in the book can't control Drogon. The CGI was iffy and a little cheesy, but they had to do the moment where he flew away with her.

Next week should be crazy.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I thought Snow discussed walking through the wall the episode before and being let in....  I just assumed all of that took place. North of the wall, but I guess you are saying they could have taken the boats south of the wall then walked up from below to castle black?

I loved the episode overall.

AtariLegend wrote:

There's 19 castles along the wall. 3 are manned, 1 of them is Eastwatch by the Sea where Stannis ships would have been that they sailed upon to get there.

NineteenCastlesOnTheWall.jpg

Hardhome was north of it above the Haunted Forrest (AKA the trees above East Watch)

johndivney wrote:

yea i went from being on team stannis to being p miffed about the whole thing, as atari explained above.

actually thought the whole drogon scene was p cool. dragons are just cool so they couldn't really fuck it up too bad.

& yea, the differences between the book & the show now are too far gone. the whole dorne thing?! what a waste - tbh dorne's even been wasted last season in that the viper didn't get enough screentime.

but, it is what it is. it could've been more but it's still good tv.
what they need to do is just go balls out. they're obv not giving a fuck & not apologising to the fanboys of the books, but they should take it as a challenge & try & blow minds w/the sheer scale of the thing.
i think they've bounced back well & done a decent enough job in the final 10/15mins of these last two episodes.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Enjoyed the episode, although I think last weeks was better.

I'm guessing the Jon Snow scene was just to add some tension to the return but yeah not very logical.

Wasn't that shocked by the by the burning even though it seems to have outraged many. It had been on the cards since melisandre mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. As for Stannis I've never been the biggest fan anyway so his actions haven't bothered me too much as I wasn't reallly rooting for him in the first place.

The Dorne stuff has felt like filler so far, I don't know what happens in the books but it feels like so far it's being used as padding for the series. I do like the fact that things are changing from the books though as it keeps it fresh for everyone and even the book readers don't know necessarily what's to come.

Excellent final scene overall, although the flying cgi did look a bit cheap but the rest was great. Felt like it threw up more questions for me than answers though. Who's the leader of the sons of harpy if not Danys husband to be? Did Jorah give Dany greyscale? When's she going to give up mereen as a bad job and burn the place to the ground and move on?

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Couple days away!!! Can't wait!

Predictions? Thoughts??

AtariLegend wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Couple days away!!! Can't wait!

Predictions? Thoughts??

Given only you and APE haven't read the books in this thread, it'll be hard!

TV show assumptions about what will happen in otherwords non book events:

Hidden Text:

Stannis takes Winterfell and gets killed by Brienne (To make Stannis character assassination even more pointless)
Littlefinger does something anything
Roose get's killed, Ramsay escapes
Something happens in Dorne to make spending a season there in anyway make sense

Book Spoiler predictions for reference after the episode airs:

Hidden Text:

Jon get's stabbed as the cliffhanger
Wun Wun crushes people at the Wall
Danny finds the Dothraki that abandoned her in season 1
Sam and Gilly get sent south
Balon Greyjoy dies or is referenced
Sansa/Theon escape
Varys kills Pycelle/Kevan and reveals some plan that doesn't make sense in the show with Aegon cut
Ceseri walks through King's Landing naked (or at east her body double) and we see the first shot of Robert Strong (AKA Fraken-Mountain)

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer