You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

polluxlm wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

After season 4 they had 2 books AFFC/ADWD (Which take place simultaneously, but feature different sets of characters)... almost 2000 pages worth of material. They turned it into a mess by trying to streamline and cut out certain stuff and change others. However Jamie's story at least and certain other characters that will make an appearance will have their character arcs circled back to material from those books. Jamie's never went to Dorne in the books.

Danny's story is a unknown it's assumed that's what will happen, however I think her end game will be different to whatever happens in the books. I personally hope part of the end game is

Hidden Text:

Jon vs. Danny.

Tyrion in the books is outside Meereen while a Siege (that never happens in the show is going on). Tyrion's trying to win certain people to Danny's side, however he hasn't met Danny yet. Theirs also no guarantee that she'll be happy when she does meet him unlike the happy route the show goes.

George plans to write 2 more books "The Winds of Winter" that'll hopefully be in 2016 and a final book.

Hidden Text:

I read on a books forum he was actually dead and with no specific indication of coming back. So I was wondering how much book material was left for the show and how close they are following it. Now I see they've come to the point where they can easily bring him back.

It appears they have already started going on their own, and with most of the books spent they will be making up a lot. I read they consult Martin for the broad stokes, so possibly he told them what happens to Tyrion and Dany in his vision.

Get the impression the producers aren't always too concerned about what Martin says though.

AtariLegend wrote:

There's something that happens next year towards the end of season that get's hinted at the end of Jon's story in ADWD

Hidden Text:

Jon vs. Ramsay,

but hasn't happened in the show.

Pollux where ever you read that from was a troll post. In the books he's gets stabbed and losses conscience, he never actually dies. As per George's rules on POV characters getting killed off, unless another POV character sees it happening, it hasn't happened. Besides that, he has too many "get-out-of-jail" cards.

To go more into it in terms of books spoilers. Mel believes that if Stannis burns someone of king's blood he'll be able to awaken a Stone Dragon. In the books of course Stannis is never going to burn his daughter, unless it's as a major serve after he's already beaten the Boltons.

It just so happens however

Hidden Text:

that Greyscale that Shireen has is known to turn the skin stone like. If you believe that Jon is Rhaegars son. Then he's a Targareyn, thus Mel burning Shireen to resurrect Jon would basically fulfill the prophecy. She might even burn Shireen to bring back Stannis (but say Azor Ahai instead, whom she believes Stannis is) and still bring Jon back unintentionally.

Shireen/Seylse (her mother) and Mel in the books never march south with Stannis. They stay at the Wall.

Anyway their's way too much foreshadowing about Jon. Complete Chekhov's gun.

As for the producers, they've proven time and time again that they aren't as good as George when it comes to writting. The show's best moments outside of Hardhome come from when they're adapting material, it gets messy when they write their own material.

Oh btw. First teaser for next season.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Can't wait! Them and Walking Dead are tied for keeping folks alive when they should be dead

AtariLegend wrote:

Someone pointed out on reddit that if "The Winds of Winter" is to be out on time for the season 6 premier using the same editing time "A Dance With Dragons" used it would had to have been submitted to the editors yesterday.

*fingers crossed*

AtariLegend wrote:

Oh for those that didn't know. George confirmed the book wouldn't be out before next season.

Here's a teaser just released with some dialogue.

AtariLegend wrote:

Since their's distinct lack of "Game of Thrones" interest here sad. I'll go first tongue.

I think the Stark promo, is the show's version of the pink letter without any of the twists and obvious lies sad.

Their's going to be a few variations of TWOW spoilers, but I think some of it will be a mess. Not sure how they're going to be able to pull this altogether for the presumed "grand finale" without streamlining everything even with 8 seasons.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

They need to stop fucking around. Last season was drag with all the meaningless story lines. And Kings Landing lost all the punch with only Cersei around, something needs to happen there as well. Even her so called topless scene was disappointing.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

What the fuck is the CGI trailer shit.  Horrible.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

They need to stop fucking around. Last season was drag with all the meaningless story lines. And Kings Landing lost all the punch with only Cersei around, something needs to happen there as well. Even her so called topless scene was disappointing.

There was alot of book 4 that was glossed over...that book was a mess

Still not sure how i feel about HBO forging on aheadof the books and without the input of grrm...and the obvious deviation from the books...kinda bugs me...just not sure how much

johndivney wrote:

At this stage tho it's the only option..?? Think of it as a parallel universe sorta rule. What would you have done, brought grrm in to write the show? I'd have been tempted if I'd been hbo & had the money, his episodes are usually amongst the best..
The only real problem as I see it is the show runners know what's in the forthcoming books/the end (tho, by speculation, so do a lot of people I suspect). It depends how much you care. It is a bit crappy having invested time in reading those books (some of which were a mess & hard work) only to have tv sweep the rug out from under that effort but.. So it goes, eh?

Will just have to wait and see how they compare now I guess. The show'll prob have run its course unless grrm surprises us all..

Board footer