You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: 101 Document Titles From Axls Laptop (No Actual Documents Tho)

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
jamester062001 wrote:

http://mistersaintlaurent.proboards.com … 528&page=8

on legality of what he may have....

MSL wrote:

i would consider his book & pre-release audio to be IP, which even still is treated very different by the law from actual property.

but bringing up stolen property laws and trying to apply them to leaked emails sent without solicitation to a journalist is just silly.

i risk violating copyright law if i post music or the book. it may not be legal for me to sell the emails & files, but i'm not sure. a lot of stuff has to be figured out.

and i just haven't been in the mood to figure it out yet. maybe one day i'll wake up and the gnr stuff will be the most important thing in my life and i'll take the time to sort through the mess.

MSL has always been a good dude, but he's wrong here. I just hate to see the guy get in trouble:

From mine and MSL's home State:

•Florida defines theft as when a person knowingly obtains, uses or attempts to obtain or use someone else's property. He must do this with the intent to either deprive that person of the right or benefit of that property, or appropriate the property to his own use or the use of anyone else not entitled to such use.

There's no defense or ways around this. Like I said before, you can't just say your a journalist and it makes everything okay. And if he is a journalist, established ones have gone to jail trying to use that line. It's not a get out of jail free card.

I think what he has is real. Some of it doesn't make sense to be factual, and I believe he flat out doesn't have any new music.

But the shitty thing about it is (besides, you know, it being STOLEN 16 ) is that someone cherry picked what he was going to copy. You hack Mick Jagger, Robert Plant or any lead singers computer and steal the emails, then copy the juicy ones juicy, they're not going to come out looking too good and we're not going to get the whole story.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Despite the widely held view that the leaks caused the album release I think it's otherwise, at most maybe they dictated which tracks got chosen.

The original IRS and TWAT and Better release was fun for fans as at the time GNR had been silent for so long that we didn't really know if anything would ever happen.

But everything else was only leaked as it was comming out anyway. Shacklers came out about a month before it was on rockband or something, and Skewl's tracks were also right before the actual album.

I think if so much thunder hadn't been stolen in advance it would have been easier for the band to develop some decent promo around better and stuff. But by the time the album came out it was more an offical release of songs we already had with 3 new ones.

This sort of thing fucks with the band.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^

Absolutely, Monkey. I don't think the leaks had anything to do with getting the album released, but probably did have something to do with the tracklist.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

from msl.com

thread over at mygnr locked,
mod said

"Well boys and girls, I think it's time to lock this fucker.

Since nothing is out there, it's only someone claiming to have stuff, aka rumors!
Can we go back to GN'R now and leave that wrestler alone?

Thanks!

*LOCKED* "

ppp

ppp wrote:

To be fair, that thread like every mygnr thread went on for 25 pages and it was nothing but posters fighting with each and calling Axl names after page 3. They also have like 4 other threads for it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I lost a reply I was writing last night.

But somewhere in this thread someone asked why people are worried that this could end the band when Axl has survived worse, such as loosing AFD crew and then loosing most of the bucket-era guys, and when further more it's not new information that Axl is emotional and so on.

My answer is simply that GNR exists at Axl's whim.

I don't mean that disrespectfully to him. It's just the facts. Right or Wrong these days it's his band, his assets, his brand and his life.

So when it comes down to - will fans "get" more from the band - tours, albums, music, merch, chats, whatever...it all comes down in the end to be if Axl *wants* to do these things. Then if DOES want it - it becomes is he able to do it - either due to pressures of the industry, or whatever personal issues he may or may not have being a human (health, emotions etc) that could interfere with it.

But I look at it like this. If these documents are real then:

1. They could increase the tension in the band. Yes he could replace everyone. He's done it twice or whatever. But does he WANT to. How many times would you like to start-over doing your chosen profession.

2. They could fuck with his personal relationships. Someone leaked this shit. So someone is not a friend. Let alone if the contents of Beta's emails damage her relations with Axl. It seems that his relationship with her is VERY important to him. So fucking with that and you fuck with his whole homelife, worldview and potentially any solace he has found since his youth. If these things happen - it's likely to become his focus and not putting out new music.

3. Financially he can earn money from his past achievments. So what motivation is there not to retire other than wanting to get creative for it's own sake (which can be derailed by point 1 and 2 above) or doing it to please others. So to then find out that elements of his fan base, are so ungrateful, are so divorsed from the human element of this that they would fuck over his personal life, his business and whatever else just for a few seconds of ego. It's not exactly encouraging to work is it.

He's talked before about our misplaced sense of entitlement. And as much as I want things as a fan. When it comes to it he is right.

So my fear is, maybe something like this could be the thing that makes him say "Fuck this" and just retire.

And that would be a massive waste of what IMO is his creative genius. So I hope that on some level he realises that many of us are thankful for the music he's given us over the years, and wish him well...angry emails or not.

And at the risk of repeating myself. It's really fucked that fans of the band would do things that fuck up the bands business and fuck with their personal lives too.

I just ask MSL, leaks and all that aside. Think of what this could have done to Axl on a human level. How would you like someone to mess with your band or your other businesses like this. I know I'd be very very upset if my world was invadeded to even a fraction of this extent.

Like to us it's a soap opera and a game and whatever else. But these are real people. And that's what I thought when I met Del James too. It's fun to paint him as a professional friend or whatever that comedy video thing said - which is funny on some level but underneath it's worth remembering he's a real guy, who was working his ass off at the show to make sure eveyrthing ticked along well..and we all heard great music that night. And it's no different to Axl. He's a guy doing his best with his gifts and with his deamons. As we all are - it would seem MSL included based on his recent relationship posts.

I dunno. I just think this whole drama has crossed a line. Frankly I'm ashamed on behalf of the whole fanbase that it came to this.

johndivney wrote:

i think the day-to-day operations of the band are revealed in the locations of the band members & a few times Ron & others have said they communicate constantly via txt/email. they aren't getting together everyday, the 6 or 7 guys, to jam rehearse or write or record. they are all sitting in their own homes focusing on their own projects until one day Axl decides he wants to do something other than kickboxing or watching loony tunes with fernando then the other guys drop their wives/families/work & rush out to malibu asap..

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
johndivney wrote:

i think the day-to-day operations of the band are revealed in the locations of the band members & a few times Ron & others have said they communicate constantly via txt/email. they aren't getting together everyday, the 6 or 7 guys, to jam rehearse or write or record. they are all sitting in their own homes focusing on their own projects until one day Axl decides he wants to do something other than kickboxing or watching loony tunes with fernando then the other guys drop their wives/families/work & rush out to malibu asap..

Yes, totally unusual for a band this scope with bandmembers with other projects....

Surely, this has never happened before, ever, in rocknroll history!!

What a fucked up way to make a living! I'd never want to be a professional musician...
roll

johndivney wrote:
Naltav wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Yes, totally unusual for a band this scope with bandmembers with other projects....

Surely, this has never happened before, ever, in rocknroll history!!

What a fucked up way to make a living! I'd never want to be a professional musician...
roll

i never said it wasn't unusual.
slashfro was speculating on whether the band would be silent on their day-to-day activities, i merely proffered an estimated guess at what the GnR workday is like. i never said it was right or fucking wrong, ok?!

Board footer