You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Help wanted — jobless need not apply

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

As someone that has and still does hire people for a living, I can tell you that being out of work that long is a huge red flag. Not saying I wouldn't talk to them, but there better be a reason beyond the economy is bad for it.

Buzz is right. This is what is done. If you're out of work for long with a big gap in your resume, people will start asking questions, and you better have a good answer to them.

If you're out of work, at least do something with your time that you can PUT on your resume, so it won't include a big black hole. I filled my resume with lots of stuff I've done that's not referred to as "hired work", including all the articles I've written, the websites I've made, and the books I have been writing. These things count. It was largely the reason why my current boss hired me.

I don't hire people for a living like buzz does, but I'm in the business of trying to make people work and find jobs, and I know exactly what he's talking about here.

I wouldn't exclude someone with those holes in their CV, but I would question them quite well. Some may just be very unlucky in their job searches, and many dumb fucks may have permanent jobs instead of them, but the basic rule is this; if you're out of a job and just keeps being out a job, there's a reason behind it.

In fact, we had one girl in at work just lately and her CV looked very good. She had plenty of work experience, she'd been to college as well, but even so she was in debt, lives in a dump and can't get further than an interview. Both me and my college are questioning why it's like that with her, and it's something we have to get to the bottom of.

100% correct.  I never said I wouldn't consider someone with employment gaps - I said I would ask questions as a result, and I'm not looking for a canned answer.

Good point too about living beyond your means.  The first thing I did when my position was eliminated was cancel my home phone and satellite TV.  Didn't need it.  We also cut other expenses as well - some of which we still haven't gotten back.  We had about 6 months salary saved up, but didn't want to tap into it for things we didn't need.  As a result, we didn't touch our savings at all.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

All true Buzz.

You won't be surprised when I tell you plenty of people who no jobs, no education tries to live the life of someone with a high income or even medium income. They just don't understand you have to work for the stuff you want.

People go around buying all kinds of shit with money they don't have, and no job that can provide anything.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
DCK wrote:
Olorin wrote:

In debt and lives in a dump?

Things happen quick when you don't have a job and wants to keep living like you do.

What do mean a dump though?

DCK

DCK wrote:
Olorin wrote:
DCK wrote:
Olorin wrote:

In debt and lives in a dump?

Things happen quick when you don't have a job and wants to keep living like you do.

When you rent a small flat in an old building and you share it with drug addicts, then it's a dump.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Is it normal over there to check out where an employee lives before hiring them? Can't see people doing that here unless it's like a secret service job or something of that nature.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
DCK wrote:
Olorin wrote:
DCK wrote:

When you rent a small flat in an old building and you share it with drug addicts, then it's a dump.

Dang.. she told you that at the interview and expected to get the job? That girls gotta start lying.

DCK

DCK wrote:
Olorin wrote:
DCK wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Dang.. she told you that at the interview and expected to get the job? That girls gotta start lying.

Oh, she didn't, so plus for her, but her address gives her away. We know what people lives there already.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

So recapping:

If you don't have a job already, have some debts, or if you live in a slum,

IE: If you are the VERY kind of person in desperate need of a job...and trying to better yourself by getting one...

Then you can forget about having a job - because someone has already judged you from where you live.

Can no one but me see the insanity of that?

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

No mate, I seen it at the beginning but was just clarifying incase I was mistaken.

Shocking.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Until you've walked a mile in another man's shoes eh?

Great post monkey.

Board footer