You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Black Sabbath

BLS-Pride wrote:

I was really hoping Geezer would be writing the lyrics and Ozzy taking care of the vocal melodies like the old days.

Glad you liked it Me Wise. I had a feeling it was gonna be a bit of a grower and a throw back sound. I still going to hold out but you gave me hope. Yeah post up your full thoughts.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Cramer wrote:
Neemo wrote:

The god is dead song sucks

I couldn't make it half way through, very disappointed.

You should give it another listen, it actually picks up in the second half.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I was really hoping Geezer would be writing the lyrics and Ozzy taking care of the vocal melodies like the old days.

Glad you liked it Me Wise. I had a feeling it was gonna be a bit of a grower and a throw back sound. I still going to hold out but you gave me hope. Yeah post up your full thoughts.

Okay...some thoughts...COMING UP!! Well from what you guys posted earlier, I'm not shocked at all that Ozzy interfered with the lyric production of GID? Definitely sounds like that song wasn't thought out with the full band agreeing. Other than that it's not terrible; but let me know tell you it gets out better. End of the Beginning is a huge opener and i'm not the biggest fan of long metal songs. Loner is a fast rocker with some great lyrics and really sets a good mood with Ozzy just laying it down with some Geezer's dark, melancholy lyrics. This should of been the lead single in my honest opinion. Now onto the heavier material..! Another thing I'd like to point out is that each song kind of segues well into the other and you can little live recording bits in between the beginning or end of each track. Hearing the tuning of guitar or bass. Brad doing a little drum intro, and hearing Iommi fiddling the guitar strings to open up a great riff on one track. Which I found very cool and felt like a band working off of each other. Rick was able to capture that live sound while making Ozzy sing really well. On Scream his previous solo album you could tell there was an improvement in Ozzy's singing ability. Here in my opinion his vocals sound more fleshed out without the need of so much studio effects, pro tools, etc etc. You can notice a little bit of that; but it works in the album's favor especially when the riff king, Iommi and Geezer are killing it and giving their best performances to date. Now back to the other songs shall we. Zeitgeist is Planet Caravan Pt. 2 in a nutshell and completely obvious during the first couple of seconds. But..it's a good song and very fun escapism to listen to with headphones. Rick brings the vocader to Ozzy's voice to get that original production of the song it's based off of. Brad is adding strong reggae percussion and adding a good back beat on Geezer's bass while Tony is hammering a melodic acoustic guitar track and then switching back to electric. Nothing special or groundbreaking on this one. Age of Reason goes back to the heavy featuring an epic guitar solo and strong rhythm. It's a pounding force going on with clever lyrics that can be quite a spoonful. Live Forever could of used a re-write on the lyrical side since it gets a little too predictable on the chorus; but the music more than makes up for it. Ozzy's vocals are strong on this one I remember from my viewing earlier that evening. Damaged Soul is an awesome tune with Ozzy killing it on the harmonica, Brad pounding on the skins, and dark lyrics dealing with demon possession, life choices, and other things. Now...Dear Father sounds like it could of been written back in 1969 when the first album was being made. Geezer's lyrics deal with hypocrisy, broken homes, demons, and make the whole experience worth it.  The middle and ending of this closing track has Iommi making the guitar his bitch and the rest of the band firing on all cylinders. Really concludes the album nicely and makes it satisfying for people that may not want to flesh out the extra dough for the bonus tracks. As for the bonus tracks didn't get to hear them; so I'm going to have to buy the deluxe version to listen to those and give my thoughts later on in the coming week.

Overall opinion:

This is the closet Sabbath record to the original band's sound that's been missing since the late 70s. Featuring epic guitar solos, strong lyrics, and production this album is simply going to get better over time and with repeated listens. Anyone worried about the problems getting this thing together are completely out the window. Sure it's not the best or a perfect comeback or metal album; but if you look back Rock N' Roll and Heavy Metal in general was never about perfection. It probably will sound better on other formats and the tidbits and live cuts that appear on the songs are definitely fun to hear and probably better riffs going on that I didn't quite make out that deserve a few more listens later on to get everything down. Some songs especially God is Dead? needed to be cut by 2 minutes at least. It's a great album to chill back to and throw up the horns. Metal fans won't be disappointed and Black Sabbath fans that have been waiting for years will be rewarded. Ward fucked up big time for not joining in; but his lack of presence didn't ruin the songs at all. The songs sound like they would stand up with the first few Sabbath albums most definitely.  Enjoy everybody!!

Me_Wise_Magic

metallex78 wrote:
Cramer wrote:
Neemo wrote:

The god is dead song sucks

It does. After listening to the song on the album. It sounds better.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

I'll be honest... I didn't have high hopes for this record.

I heard God Is Dead when it was released, and rolled my eyes.

I saw the cover and "ugh'd".

I'm pleasantly surprised. I skipped GID, and may revisit today based on what you guys are saying...
This is a really good album. It's not an obvious classic, but it's been on a constant spin here since it leaked. I also need to dive into the bonus tracks. It'd be easy to pick out what old school tracks they borrowed from for a couple songs, but they grow into their own things...

I feel like I should do a legit review for this and the new AIC (after Axlin successfully made a case for THAT record not being as terrible as I initially thought... Thanks, bud.)

Loner, Zeitgeist, and Damaged Soul are bad as fuuuuuck. Me Wise is correct. Bill Ward done fucked up. He's not missed. I would have played on this record for fucking free. He must have a lot going on... tongue

Me_Wise_Magic

yeah..so it seems. 16 Glad you enjoyed it dude!

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Sweet. Looks like I may dig this. Thanks for the reviews dudes.  Loving Ozzy hitting the harmonica, cant wait to hear it.  5 more days and I will be blasting it through my system causing everyone near me to roll up their windows.

Me_Wise_Magic

BLS-Pride wrote:

Sweet. Looks like I may dig this. Thanks for the reviews dudes.  Loving Ozzy hitting the harmonica, cant wait to hear it.  5 more days and I will be blasting it through my system causing everyone near me to roll up their windows.

That's the way to do it! 9

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Cramer wrote:

It does. After listening to the song on the album. It sounds better.

OK, I'll give it another shot, if you promise to start using paragraphs. Paragraphs bro!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

It's growing on me a bit.

Zeitgeist and Loner have moments, Age of Reason kicks in nicely.

It's Alright wink

Board footer