You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

^ Fuck that. No it's not. At all.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

over 120 million albums sold 5 number 1 singles. No brainer.

By that standard, the likes of Backstreet Boys will get in. Bon Jovi was basically the same thing, except packaged as a "rock band."

Bon Jovi ARE a rock band, not just packaged as one.

Sure they aren't heavy rock like GN'R or Metallica, and do seem to play a lot of ballads, but they still rock with the best of them, and Richie Sambora is a hell of a guitarist too.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Sure they aren't heavy rock like GN'R or Metallica, and do seem to play a lot of ballads, but they still rock with the best of them, and Richie Sambora is a hell of a guitarist too.

I have nothing against ballads. My favorite stuff by GN'R and Zeppelin would be classified as ballads. My problem with Bon Jovi is that every damn song was composed in an attempt to be played on the radio as much as possible. Sterilized, uber-commercial pop "rock." How is that shit any different than the likes of Nickelback? It isn't.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, I put them in the same category as ABBA 16

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Maybe it's cuz I grew up on them, but even though what you're saying about Jovi is true, I just don't classify them like that in my mind.

Nothing wrong with nostalgia. It doesn't affect me in this case because I was too young to know who they were at the time. The music had to stand on its own for me and it simply doesn't. GN'R, on the other hand, held up just fine for me as a teenager in the late 90's when I first really got into their stuff.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

maybe cause none of those bands have classic all time great songs like Livin On A Prayer and Wanted Dead or Alive.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

classic all time great songs like Livin On A Prayer and Wanted Dead or Alive.

All-time great compared to what?

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

To even begin to pretend Livin' On a Prayer isn't an all time great classic song is a fucking joke. It IS a classic PERIOD! Throw that song on at any party and see what your reaction is. I dj'd in a  club between 2004-2008 and the best reaction on a  consistent basis was to that song hands down. Obviously the big hits at the time were big but Livin' On a  Prayer gets as good a reaction in 2008 and still in 2011 as it did the day it was released. People love to sing it.

Bon Jovi has tons of hits. Bad Medicine, You Give Love a Bad Name, Livin' On a Prayer, Wanted Dead or Alive, Runaway, In These Arms, It's my Life etc etc...,  then there's the ballads which they are fuckin' good at. I'll Be There For You has got to be ne of the best power ballads ever.

The Bon Jovi hate pisses me off and I'm not even a huge Bon Jovi fan. I like them but honestly when I hear or read people cuttin down Bon Jovi and comparing them to the likes of Abba, Backstreet Boys and Nickleback all it comes off as is somebody trying their damndest to look cool. As if to say Bon Jovi sucks makes them more of a man or something. The person who says they don't rock out to Livin' on a  prayer when it comes on the radio is a lier.

And whether people like it or not Bon Jovi is one of the biggest acts over the last 25 years. Maybe top 3. They still churn out top 10 albums, they still have top 10 hit singles, they still pack arenas AND stadiums world wide  so NO they are not like Backstreet Boys, Abba or Nickleback.

Plus they are great in concert so.... haters can hate but you look foolish doing so.

phew.... there's my rant for the week 15

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

The person who says they don't rock out to Livin' on a  prayer when it comes on the radio is a lier.

Since you want to start calling people names, all I'll say is fuck you. I change the station. And how many times do I have to say it? Popularity doesn't mean shit for quality. Reminds me of when people point to box office as proof of a movie's quality. All it means is a lot of people liked it, not necessarily that it's the most amazing thing ever. Quality is a completely subjective issue apart from popularity.

Board footer