You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: RUMOR: GN'R Planning SA tour around RIR

buzzsaw wrote:

When I say subpar, I'm not referring to the songs themselves. The whole thing is screwed up from mixing to performance to the booklet and vinyl quality.  I've always said the songs might be great, but it's impossible to tell.

And I've had the official album on my mp3 player through rhapsody. I may not have owned it, but I have listened to the official versions legally.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

When I say subpar, I'm not referring to the songs themselves.  The whole thing is screwed up from mixing to performance to the booklet and vinyl quality.

Don't think anyone would argue wih you about the booklet and the vinyl..prob even Axl! As for the mixing...that gets into personal preference a bit..and it was probably an insane number of source tracks...but yeah I can concede that there places where the mixing might have hightlighted another part and doesn't.

Not sure i'd agree there's any peformance issues though -  or not to my tastes anyway. Not like i'm listening going "bucket could play that shred bit faster" or "that scream doesn't sound like axl cares" - musically I think they nailed the peformances.

Or maybe we're talking different things about peformance. But in terms of capturing the person's ability/passion on tape I think it's done well - and it's quite hard to do. For example, I think Slash is playing the VR solos (eg Sucker Train Blues, Dirty Little Thing etc)  about 10 times better live this year than he does on the fucking studio versions....not that contrabands not a good album...but peformance wise...i've heard slash play the same material better in person...and that's not something that should happen on a record...normally for people a record is the ideal version...

but most of CD isn't like that....possibly maddy...although I think it's more that Axl was going for a specific vocal effect there like he did with estranged, and it's not something he does live....

If I was going to pick a problem with CD I'd say there's almost choice anxiety in the tracks - like there was an inability to choose between ideas/takes/players for a song so sort of going with using them all - which makes it a little confused in places - then again - from the other point of view it's exactly what makes it a brilliant and unique album.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

Not a bad song on CD IMHO

First listen was VMA type shock. love it now! My kids even know a few songs

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm referring to way too much going on, choppy music that doesn't flow throughout songs, uninteresting lyrics, etc. None of those apply to every song with the possible exception of too much going on. There are bits and pieces of quality that get lost in the not so good things that pop up from time to time.

I still don't care for most of the songs other than twat. Shackler's is the only complete pile of garbage on the album in my opinion.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Honest to god, the only song on the album I don't love is CitR. Everything else is freakin' fantastic to me

Its not hte songs are bad, its the mixing and how they are all cut and pasted together, they would be much better if they were stripped down nad not so cut and paste. That is why the songs flow much better live

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I like all the songs too.

My least favourite would probably be sorry - which seems to be everyone else's highlight...I don't have a problem with sorry - just compared to music like Catcher and TIL and so on it's not as interesting to me.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:

sorry has great music, but subpar lyrics. The chorus is catchy but that is about it.

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm referring to way too much going on, choppy music that doesn't flow throughout songs, uninteresting lyrics, etc. None of those apply to every song with the possible exception of too much going on. There are bits and pieces of quality that get lost in the not so good things that pop up from time to time.

I still don't care for most of the songs other than twat. Shackler's is the only complete pile of garbage on the album in my opinion.

Shackler's is my least favorite as well....sticks out like a sore thumb...both lyrically and musically.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:

SR is the catchiest song on the album

Board footer