You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: RUMOR: GN'R Planning SA tour around RIR

johndivney wrote:

i don't think they quite wanted a game changer, rather another mega-profitable GnR album.
they certainly weren't banking on the avant-rock that they got & i'm sure were none too pleased when bucket came to play.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Also, the point continues to be that if OTHERS claimed that Chinese Democracy was supposed to "save rock & roll" how does that make it Axl Rose's responsibility to live up to that claim?

FIFY. As for the answer to the question, I'm guessing Universal wanted a gamechanging product for $15 million in production costs. But maybe that's just a silly guess on my part. tongue

Really? Still towing the "It's NOT Guns N' Roses" line??

And also, if that's what Uni wanted, then that's on them.

Will continue towing that line unless a reunion happens between the 4 primary members, or until Axl finally stops using the name for a solo project. Seeing as how both of those things have almost no chance of happening, I guess I'll just keep towing that line. 16

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Really? Still towing the "It's NOT Guns N' Roses" line??

And also, if that's what Uni wanted, then that's on them.

Will continue towing that line unless a reunion happens between the 4 primary members, or until Axl finally stops using the name for a solo project. Seeing as how both of those things have almost no chance of happening, I guess I'll just keep towing that line. 16

Wow. I just can't see being stuck on that one point for what? Like 15 years now?

Not exactly. 15 years ago I didn't even know what GN'R was. 15 years ago I was 10 years old and not really that big of a music fan. Started paying more attention to it in the late 90's/early 2000's, which is when I discovered GN'R. So for me it's been around 10 years I guess. tongue

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I see it more as being the same thing. Right now, axl is gnr like it or not. So it is axl's responsibility because he wanted it that way. He helped create the mess, so he has to live with the expectations that go with keeping the name.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

he has to live with the expectations that go with keeping the name.

to be honest i still dont know why he just didnt do the "Axl Rose Band" thing would've made more sense (to me at least) ... though i guess that things just kinda happened that way ... maybe the intent was  there to continue as GnR after Slash left .... i mean there was still Axl, Duff, Matt and Dizzy then they signed the contract extension with Geffen but over time Duff and Matt left and then it wasnt looking at all like the same band anymore...maybe axl didnt have the $$$ to pay back the advance so he decided to continue as GnR ... we really have no idea as to the thought process that went through Axl's mind as to why he insisted to keep the GnR name alive (albiet in stasis for the majority of the past 15 or so years)...and unless he relases a book (and maybe not even then) i doubt if we ever will know hmm

johndivney wrote:

he kept the name to avoid bankruptcy (the financial kind, not the moral kind)/because it's a great fucking name/because he thinks he is guns n roses.

he coulda gone solo & been just as successful (or unsuccessful) as he has been in keeping the name & in the long term it wouldn't have been any harder work than the slog he's gone thru in keeping the name alive

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

The only ones who had any expectation of GNR "saving rock n' roll" are hyperbolic music journalists and record company executives. And what the fuck does that even mean, anyway? What does rock need to be saved from? As far as I can tell rock is doing just fine even if the music industry is going downhill. The Stones, AC/DC, U2, KISS, Aerosmith - any of the big classic rock dinosaurs can go on the road and still sell out arenas and/or stadiums every night. And while there may never be another band that will have the longevity or broad popular appeal as any of them, there's newer bands like the White Stripes, the Strokes, Wolfmother, etc. that are keeping the rock rolling.

Board footer