You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Avenged Sevenfold

monkeychow wrote:

I'm going as well to this tour...pretty pumped up!!! I've watched their live DVD a bunch of times and it seems that they really deliver a great show...best 'modern era' type band I've come across in a long time.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, I've worn out that DVD too, great performance. Some of the talk between songs is a bit cheese, but the performances themselves are killer. These guys are definitely a contender to take over where Metallica and GN'R leave off once they're done.

Hoping they play a big set too, they have so many great songs. Usually they only play around 12 songs, but this is a big gig. Last time they were in Australia they played at a venue that filled 2000 people with a few other bands on the lineup, now they're playing to 12,000 people with only one support slot.

drborken
 Rep: 6 

drborken wrote:

I saw them live in the UK on Halloween last year, when they were touring with Mike Portnoy. It was one of the best shows I have ever been to, there were so many awesome moments. They threw sweets into the crowd at the end as their trick or treat. Definitely one to look forward to if you are going. I really want to see them again when they come back to the UK next, especially now they are touring with Arin, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do live. The live DVD is actually a really good representation of what to expect.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

If it's like that live DVD then i'm going to have a blast...pretty good video...I agree with metalalex that the talk is a bit yikes and generally a couple of them look a bit strange to my old school tastes dress sense wise - but damn some of those songs are pretty rock!

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Just got back from the A7x show tonight in Sydney, and it was great.
They played a lot off their new album Nightmare, along with the big hits of the past. Only real complaint is that as a headliner, they could have played for longer. But they gave every bit into their performance of what they did play. I think it was around only 12 songs, around an hour and a half or so.

And I'm sure the guitarist Synyster Gates was on something tonight, he walked around quite blankly throughout the show, while kinda stumbling too... it was quite odd, as he never missed a beat with his playing, absolutely flawless!

The whole band was really fucking tight, I love the dual lead guitar harmonies, and the new drummer was great too, so much energy. Quite a few chants in the crowd for "The Rev" were very touching to their singer too.

Monkey, you'll have fun, that's for sure!

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Excellent...thanks for the review!

Looking forward to it on tuesday night! I've got front row of the balcony - which I'd normally prefer general admission to - but to be honest I'm feeling kinda fragile at the moment (neck issues)  and I figured A7x would be a mosh-pit from hell full of angry 19yo romper-stompers! Hoping that the balcony shot will be a nice overview!!!!

Setlist sounds cool...really want to get "Bat Country"  "Critical Acclaim" and "Almost Easy" from the earleir albums. I should listen to more of the new album in advance really...I dig "God Hates Us" and "Nightmare" quite a bit so i'll cross fingers for them as well.

Interesting about Synyster Gates...so he seemed noticably out of it compared to like the live dvd and stuff?

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I actually know the whole set list as I found it online, but I won't tell you what they play if you want it to be a bit of a surprise. Let's just say that from the post you made, you'll be happy with their song selection.

I dunno about Synyster, seeing as this was my first time seeing them live, other than what I'd seen from that live DVD. He kept looking our direction (where me and my mate were sitting), but my mate reckons that we were the only ones getting into it in our section. He even threw a few picks our way after the initial set, and after the encore, but i didn't catch any, D'oh!

He has this funny kinda dance he did, and while he was having fun, his mind seemed to be elsewhere.

And yeah, the circle pit that formed on the floor was absolutely fucking nuts.
And I've never seen so many crowd surfers as I did last night to.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Awesome gig though, I kinda wish I was seeing them again on this tour!
And the band said they'd be back again sooner than they were between their last visit. But most bands that your here say that! lol

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I've been sick so not posting...but what can one say about that show!!!

Pretty damn awesome.

Some thoughts:

1. Boy was I smart not to go on the floor with the neck issue i have at the moment. Was very much a mosh/circle pit kinda gig - even towards the back of general admission. Often I like the floor to get super close to the musos but I'm just not fit enough for that pitt - so it was a good call - and I got front row of the balcony so I had a decent view out over things.

2. What a stage show! The lighting design / pyro and other toys were all very very nicely done! I've seen lots of shows but it's rare for every moment of a song to seem to be so nicely synced up. It really added to things. A7x pulled out of soundwave here when they couldn't play at night on the basis that it would ruin their show..and a lot of people called bullshit - but I must say I can see the logic now i've seen the lighting design. Would be wasted in the day.

3. Killer peformance. The new drummer seemed to fit in nicely...the rest of the band was on fire too - epic screams, really tastey shredding...all very nicely done. Crowd interaction was also good too - comments from the band seemed a lot more tailored to what was actually going on rather than just a routene comment they pulled out that they say every show ever no matter what like a script.

4. The melbourne audience was a little excitable. I saw some people circle pitting and ramming each other and stuff while waiting in between the bands even. Perhaps it's the younger nature of A7X's fanbase? The scene was reminisiant of an early metallica gig - circa 1985 where it's so violent people are getting hurt rather than the more chilled style metallica shows you see now. This is good and bad...i respect the pasion...but when people are nearly fighting and pushing and shoving pre the band even coming on - part of me does wonder to what extent some of the audience just comes to the gig to fight and act out and if they even give a shit about the band or the peformance it's self. Like for me i want to go cos I like those songs - and I like seeing that kind of virtusosity on the instruments and stuff - I like the SHOW - and I like to go crazy too - but there's a point where if people are too crazy they're not even seeing the show itself. They're just fighting to not die. Or maybe i'm just old! But i was safely out of that anyway!

5. Music wize A7X is a really interesting band to me. So much going on. The epic/theatrical nature of some of the songs is a little GNR like, there's also blatent early metallica influence in the sound as well, and touches of that english guitar harnmony stuff like Maiden. Meanwhile they've also got that whole modern vibe going and there's lots of the hardcore sort of genre going to. It makes it quite strange almost. Some songs are straight from a hardcore mosh band, then there's the more hard rock oriented numbers, then there's the occasional epic tim burton style thing. really interesting. In a way it's something for everyone...for me it's like I adore some songs totally and others are just sort of lost on me like it's a whole different band....but I can't complain i was very happy with the setlist - most of my favs got played! Nice mix of the new and older albums.

I feel like A7x is one to watch, as they seem to be evolving their sound...and with the new drummer they seem keen to continue...I know they're hardly new on the scene...but I can see the band sticking togeher and doing some more great stuff over the next few years...especially if they persuse more of the hard rock stuff they've explored...I could see them slowly taking a very metallica style progression...in that some of their music is heavily genere based but there's also a lot thats kinda mainstream pallatable. Be interesting to see where they go next.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Here some crowd footage I got too...was calming down a bit by this stage...few seconds earlier it was nuts but I was struggling to get out my camera!!!

Board footer