You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: DJ ASHBA Recalls 'Funny' Bar Fight Involving AXL ROSE -

DCK wrote:

It's definetely where he NEEDS to be, but I'm not sure Axl WANTS to be.

johndivney wrote:

with the exception of a reunion it's the very last place Axl needs to be

compare Prostitute for example to anything on TIGH or the VR albums & it's just mindblowing the difference in imagination & ambition between Axl & his hard rock contemporaries
Axl is on the right track chasing his vision(s) rather than subscribing to the generic norm - & GnR have always been that way. the only issue is the amount of time & procrasting that goes on. if Axl/GnR ever released an album as asinine as TIGH it would spoil the legacy much more than any of the ridickulous behaviour of the last 20yrs.
the only thing worse than GnR releasing a generic cock/pop rock album would be a reunion.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Mixed views on that post.

Although I enjoy the current line up, it's hard for me to throw theoritical stones about a reunion. The combination of Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven changed the fucking world...if it happened through love not money, then putting that together again one more time before someone dies an it's confined to dreams..well that would be magical. But for me i'd only like to see it if their hearts were in it - and frankly - to record a new song or an ep or album or something rather than just tour the old songs. To me that would make it about going full circle and moving forward not about trying to relive 1987. Not that they can't play anything old - just i mean sort of like AC/DC's black ice - the show was mostly classic hits and stuff but there's new work from the band as well.

As for the whole SixxAm thing. I can see all sides of  it. I agree with Metalalex who's digging the hell out of a couple of these tracks and I do too. I love them up loud and they're great fun music. But then I can also understand what Mikka was saying about it too. They do sound somewhat radio processed for better or worse. I can imagine those songs kicking more ass with Axl on them,  but at the same time one of the things I love about Axl is the sense of authenticity in his writing if you know what I mean...for better or worse I feel everything he's done is real...and I can't see him making a radio rock ablum for that reason.

I'm going to go out on a limb. But I was messing around on my pc looking at old boots and shit like 5 minutes ago. And I came across that video make of the new band playing an accoustic set somewhere - like a party or something. And they do catcher - in kind of a stripped down acoustic way.
And i've always enjoyed catcher  and i'm not even saying it needed to be stripped down on the album...but just listening to that now...the lyrics....they're just so good. Its big words but I think that song is a work of genius. The words are just amazing, the melodies great. There's something about it. It may not be the best song ever written or anything, but it's the sort of song I hear and I realise that Axl writes things other people just can't. I hear a lot of local bands and all kinds of stuff day to day. And while I hear good shit, it's not every day you hear something like fucking Catcher.

So, don't want to speak for him, but i think what John is getting at is that no one wants to see Axl dilute that Axlness, that magic but turning it into a radio-ready album.

Of course i'm not sure that would happen - I think for the songs to get to a point where Axl would like them there would be his touch on it. So I can see a DJ/Axl colaboration with the best of both worlds - DJs way of making riffs/solos/Drums/instrumentation that are catchy as fuck and sound killer without needing to go the full CD route of 1000 billion tracks per song...and Axl's genius lyrics, melody and personal essance that he seems to put into a song.

So maybe we'd get the good parts of a sixAM album without the limitations of it, and the best sides of Axl's writing without some of the side effects that happened in the CD process.

Who knows. All I do know is I listen to catcher and I pray to god that one day Axl shares more music with us. I know we're critical fucks who piss all over everything the band does...but damn...sometimes I hear these songs and I think if he has more in his head unrecorded...and he takes them to the grave...that's a musical loss to future generations and history.

Fuck current success and all that...sometimes I feel these works will be remembered far into the future like how we look back at mozart and the composers of the past. You're going to laugh at me for that I expect...but I honestly see Axl's lyrics as up there with the greats of rock already..and as it all becomes less political as the generations change...I think all that will be remembered one day is the good parts.

You know like I don't know who the fuck Yeats the poet was...he could have been a nice guy or an asshole..but I read some of his words a while back and it touched me...and I was born after he died...sometimes I hope we get new GNR music...not because I want to see GNR up there with Rhianna or whatever but for that sort of reason....it's just GOOD and deserves to become public for the sake of it's passion.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
johndivney wrote:

compare Prostitute for example to anything on TIGH or the VR albums & it's just mindblowing the difference in imagination & ambition between Axl & his hard rock contemporaries
Axl is on the right track chasing his vision(s) rather than subscribing to the generic norm - & GnR have always been that way. the only issue is the amount of time & procrasting that goes on. if Axl/GnR ever released an album as asinine as TIGH it would spoil the legacy much more than any of the ridickulous behaviour of the last 20yrs.
the only thing worse than GnR releasing a generic cock/pop rock album would be a reunion.

Axl clearly falls behind his peers in hard rock.  He always has.  Axl is known for his ballads.  That's it.  Axl didn't write the rockers.

Sky Dog wrote:

I'll take Prostitute and There Was A Time over anything Axl's contemporaries have done....ballads, rockers whatever. A good song is a good song to me. Just sayin'....

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

A lot of people complained about there not being enough memorable guitar parts/moments on CD though.  Maybe DJ could add some of that to the mix.  Like monkey said, I think/hope we could get the best of both worlds.  I doubt Axl will change his whole approach and start writing SixxAM type songs all of a sudden.  He'll most likely stay on the same path, and DJ will just add his modern touch to to it.

johndivney wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Axl clearly falls behind his peers in hard rock.  He always has.  Axl is known for his ballads.  That's it.  Axl didn't write the rockers.

those ballads have a place in hard rock.

but the point is, & perhaps i should have explained it better, is that GnR's rockers have always had a twisted ambition that separates them from the pussy pop rock of generic bands like motely crue or sixx:am. from OTGM (which is one of Axl's greatest performances) to YCBM to even the CD title track, GnR rockers do not subscribe to the template of 'lazy' generic hard rock & Axl is a driving force behind that difference, he is one of the main reasons for that difference.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

The best rockers on Sixx:A.M's This Is Gonna Hurt are definitely up there with the rockers on CD. I don't how you're not hearing that....?

In saying that, the rockers on CD aren't where Axl's ambition lies, it's on the ballads.

And the more I listen to This Is Gonna Hurt at full volume in my car, the more it doesn't sound that far from the modern rock that Axl was going for on CD.

johndivney wrote:

^ metallex i dunno how you can't hear the difference in what BH & Ron & Mother Goose & Axl (& Brain) bring to CD's rockers to p much any other hard rock album this side of SOAD! the idea's & complexity are streets ahead of the plodding pop-rock of Sixx:AM or VR. even the Slash album had more original ideas than TIGH.

(& if you want, compare the quality & ambition of the CD ballads to the lackluster generic ballads that soil the latter half of TIGH for an explicit example of the difference in vision of GnR compared to other modern hard rock bands.)

monkeychow wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb. But I was messing around on my pc looking at old boots and shit like 5 minutes ago. And I came across that video make of the new band playing an accoustic set somewhere - like a party or something. And they do catcher - in kind of a stripped down acoustic way.
And i've always enjoyed catcher  and i'm not even saying it needed to be stripped down on the album...but just listening to that now...the lyrics....they're just so good. Its big words but I think that song is a work of genius. The words are just amazing, the melodies great. There's something about it. It may not be the best song ever written or anything, but it's the sort of song I hear and I realise that Axl writes things other people just can't. I hear a lot of local bands and all kinds of stuff day to day. And while I hear good shit, it's not every day you hear something like fucking Catcher.

So, don't want to speak for him, but i think what John is getting at is that no one wants to see Axl dilute that Axlness, that magic but turning it into a radio-ready album.

Of course i'm not sure that would happen - I think for the songs to get to a point where Axl would like them there would be his touch on it. So I can see a DJ/Axl colaboration with the best of both worlds - DJs way of making riffs/solos/Drums/instrumentation that are catchy as fuck and sound killer without needing to go the full CD route of 1000 billion tracks per song...and Axl's genius lyrics, melody and personal essance that he seems to put into a song.

So maybe we'd get the good parts of a sixAM album without the limitations of it, and the best sides of Axl's writing without some of the side effects that happened in the CD process.

that is the best CITR

& yea if Axl did get his hands on Ashba material he would twist it away from it's simplistic straight ahead rock.

you're right Axl doesn't need to layer billions of overdubs & different recordings on the songs.
i would LOVE GnR to release an album they recorded live in the studio, of original material.

what i most definitely do not want is this very samey, retrograde dime-a-dozen cock rock. which something that i don't think GnR has really ever been party to across an entire album. sure we've had a handful of those type of songs spread across AFD/UYI's but never have they released an LP as generic as TIGH.

Axlin wrote:

Axl had his experimental jack off album - it was Chinese Democracy.
Now it's time to go back to cock rock, like what made GN'R the legendary band it became.
Sixx:AM is not original, it is straight-forward, radio-ready pop rock.
Which is EXACTLY where Axl needs to be

first of all: having spent so much time in 'experimental jack-off' mode Axl & GnR should have mastered the studio process & the technology they were battling with, WHICH is all the more reason to CONTINUE with this style & approach (tho weed out the faults).
secondly when the fuck did GnR ever pander to radio-friendly pop rock. they never courted the mainstream, the mainstream came to them - a year after they released their debut. SCOM had to be edited, NR is 9mins long, AFD is packed with the scummiest most demented punk rock of the 80s while the UYI's (Izzy's rock n roll songs excepted) are more of the same balanced by grandiose epics.

there are so many styles & influences available to GnR & in the GnR mixture that to release something like TIGH would be probably the most terrible judgement of all.

for me, the best option is to continue with another esoteric hard rock album. i don't want mainstream/casual music fans being a fan of GnR if they cannot get on board with Sorry/Prostitute et al. i don't want the type of person attracted to Sixx:Am to be a GnR fan if they don't accept the 'experimental' obtuse style of GnR. i don't want GnR to be courting those people with weak, wet bog-standard rock songs that are more disposable 3minute adverts than honest songs.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

I'll take Prostitute and There Was A Time over anything Axl's contemporaries have done....ballads, rockers whatever. A good song is a good song to me. Just sayin'....

I don't disagree (at least on TWAT), but lets not make Axl into something he isn't either.  Izzy, Duff, and Slash wrote the music for the rock songs.  As much as the other guys miss Axl's writing on the ballads (in most cases), I think Axl misses somebody that can write a rocker the way those guys did.  Most bands from that generation were either good at ballads or good at rockers, but I can't think of anybody that did both as well as GnR did. 

That is clearly missing right now.  Maybe (hopefully) it was a trial with CD and whatever band exists can move forward with something more listenable from a rocker standpoint.  Until Axl shows that he can write a rocker or find someone to help him write a rocker, this band will never get off the ground.  Best case scenerio appears to be another CD...if that happens, it's over.  That is why I don't think we're going to get another album any time soon.  Just my opinion...

Board footer