You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: DJ ASHBA Recalls 'Funny' Bar Fight Involving AXL ROSE -

metallex78 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

dj's songs & playing are just like his image: cliched, embarrassing & stuck in a really terrible 1980s sunset strip party.

I think maybe your hate of DJ is blinding you from hearing how good most of TIGH is. It may not be your cup of tea, but it's anything but cliched 1980's strip music. I think it's great modern pop-rock album, with touches of classic heavy rock here and there.
And let's not forget, 1980's sunset strip where GN'R stemmed from to begin with anyway.

Comparing Axl to Nick Cave is way off base. Axl is a sunset rocker at heart, even as much as he stretches his ambitious musical aspirations.

And I still think the opposite, add Axl's vocals to the likes Lies Of the Beautiful People just as it is instrumentally, and you have a rocker better than any of the rockers on CD.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

nick cave is a pretentious loser and a crappy musician to boot

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Is a story about Axl getting in a scrap really too hard to beleive? It's not like he's not got previous. I can completely see him jumping in if someone attacked a friend. I think DJ's telling of it made it sound like he was back at school impressing the guys but I still believe it happened. Had Slash been saying this in 88 it would just be further proof of how badass GNR were, if it's Slash saying it in 2012 after a reunion then it's awesome how Axl jumped in and had his back like that.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Neemo wrote:

nick cave is a pretentious loser and a crappy musician to boot

Absolutely disagree.

I'm sure that even Uncle Axl has shitload of Bad Seeds. Nick's themes are very similar to Axl's, often very sentimental and painful, but Nick doesn't sing something like 'I don't know why, she wouldn't say goodbye' and doesn't play the victim card all the time. He's more of a poet than Axl and he even dares to joke in his lyrics.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

Waiting for Axl to come up with something like this. Tons of self-ctiricism and he dares to make fun of himself. (Not to mention that the song is much more experimental and a free artistic fuck you to the mainstream than the snippets of CD combined.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I've always heard about Axl's sharp wit and sense of humor. If he would do something that pokes fun at himself while still looking cool (again, I have to suggest an SNL, Fallon or Conan appearance) he would gain heaps of interest again.

Yeah, he's said to be witty and funny, but his lyrics are always 'very serious', sometimes whiney. A little distance from himself would help. But I'm afraid he's too self-centred and nothing suggests that any of his jokes would be self-reflecting.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Why do people keep posting this Grinderman stuff? I'd absolutely horrendous.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:
DCK wrote:

Why do people keep posting this Grinderman stuff? I'd absolutely horrendous.

I dig it......thanks for posting Mikka. My two cents, Axl is NOT a poet. He is simply a solid songwriter who has an ability to write lyrics that a certain segment of the population can really relate to. Now, that No Pussy Blues I can relate to!:haha:

On the flip side, I can relate to This I Love as well. Some of the lines may be corny but in the end, they are very heartfelt. 15 ...and the alternative artwork is spectacular! Actually, that is a sense of humor right there....

Board footer