You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: DUFF MCKAGAN Interviewed At Italy's GODS OF METAL Festival

faldor wrote:

In Slash's defense, basically ALL books from rock musicians slam their former and sometimes current band members.  It's kind of the template, and it sells books.  Sammy Hagar slammed Eddie.  Keith Richards slammed Mick.  Just a couple of examples.  So while taking the high road maybe nice, it's not nearly as juicy.

Also, it's tough to judge how rough Slash was on Axl or not if you're not in Axl's shoes.  Obviously the one who's being talked about is going to take it more personally than anyone else.  So while some may have shrugged it off as not that bad, Axl could, and I think did, have a completely different outlook.

I personally didn't think it was THAT bad either, but it was definitely negative towards Axl.  Overall it didn't paint a very good picture of him.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

This one REALLY caught me. I think there's more to that statement. He already called Slash's book "his truth", then turns around and basically says you're not a man if you write a book to put your band members in a bad light, which seems to be a direct shot at Slash's book, which was basically nothing but a 'fuck Axl' poster.

When I read it, I was actually more surprised by how much he praised Axl. Can you imagine Axl offering a similar level of praise for "the cancer" known as Slash?

faldor

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

This one REALLY caught me. I think there's more to that statement. He already called Slash's book "his truth", then turns around and basically says you're not a man if you write a book to put your band members in a bad light, which seems to be a direct shot at Slash's book, which was basically nothing but a 'fuck Axl' poster.

When I read it, I was actually more surprised by how much he praised Axl. Can you imagine Axl offering a similar level of praise for "the cancer" known as Slash?

I believe he has, years ago before he started slamming Slash.  He said he loved him, he was a great guitarist.  All those things.  All the while Slash was taking digs and jabs at Axl.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I believe he has, years ago before he started slamming Slash.  He said he loved him, he was a great guitarist.  All those things.  All the while Slash was taking digs and jabs at Axl.

Lately it's been nothing but vitriol. Even when Slash would take shots at Axl in the media, he would usually praise Axl's talent at the same time. Slash is quite the passive-aggressive motherfucker. 16

Axl refuses to acknowledge Slash's importance in the band. If a certain someone hadn't come up with three of the most kickass guitar introductions ever, Axl's fatass wouldn't be sitting on a big pile of cash in his Malibu mansion. He'd be working at Wal-Mart. His perspective is fucked. 14

faldor

faldor wrote:

That's fine to think that way.  No doubt Slash played a HUGELY important role in GNR and Axl's success.  There's no denying that.  I'm not sure Axl would have been nothing without him though.  That we'll never know.  Thankfully we got to hear what they could create together, and it was magical. 

So it's okay to knock someone down and then praise them at the end?  A sort of back handed compliment.  Listen, I'm not saying Slash is the devil and he has been horrible towards Axl over the years.  I do think it's quite possible though that Axl just get fed up with it after awhile, and said enough is enough.  It didn't help the cause that the public viewed Slash as an angel and Axl as the devil in the whole GNR breakup saga.  Now granted both of their actions had a lot to do with their public perception, but Slash was far from innocent through the whole thing.  Yet the general public didn't take notice of any of that.

I think there's some major resentment there.  Axl feels he was just as important to GNR's success and that the public should be able to accept a GNR without Slash.  He feels he's been given the short end of the stick.

You can obviously disagree, but I think that's where he's coming from.  And who are we to say he's wrong in doing so?

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
faldor wrote:

That's fine to think that way.  No doubt Slash played a HUGELY important role in GNR and Axl's success.  There's no denying that.  I'm not sure Axl would have been nothing without him though.  That we'll never know.  Thankfully we got to hear what they could create together, and it was magical. 

So it's okay to knock someone down and then praise them at the end?  A sort of back handed compliment.  Listen, I'm not saying Slash is the devil and he has been horrible towards Axl over the years.  I do think it's quite possible though that Axl just get fed up with it after awhile, and said enough is enough.  It didn't help the cause that the public viewed Slash as an angel and Axl as the devil in the whole GNR breakup saga.  Now granted both of their actions had a lot to do with their public perception, but Slash was far from innocent through the whole thing.  Yet the general public didn't take notice of any of that.

I think there's some major resentment there.  Axl feels he was just as important to GNR's success and that the public should be able to accept a GNR without Slash.  He feels he's been given the short end of the stick.

You can obviously disagree, but I think that's where he's coming from.  And who are we to say he's wrong in doing so?

Axl should just be happy about a couple of very important things:

1. The fact that he's still alive. Lord knows with his temper that he could have easily pissed off the wrong person over the years, especially during his younger days before GN'R became a popular music act.

2. The fact that he has a huge pile of cash and can live a luxurious lifestyle.

Why should he waste his time being bitter about ex-bandmates? I'd just be happy with the lifestyle I have and enjoy it.

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

"I don't talk about anybody else in a bad light. That's not why I would want to write a book. I have no interest. When you're in a band, there's a trust - forever. You know, when you write songs together, you bare your soul. And if I were to go out and take some of that shit I know about one of those other guys in any band [i've been in], I wouldn't feel very good about myself as a man, you know." - Duff McKagan

The other statement is very poignant and very important. The whole thing on trust. That folks might be the closest any of the old band members have ever given to a insight into the mind of Axl Rose and why he might feel the way he does with Slash, and how the venom can carry on and on.

Mikkamakka wrote:

Interesting theory, but it was Axl who didn't even go to the rehearsals, left the others alone working their asses off on the new songs and didn't give a shit, but lived his luxury life. Izzy did the same except the white limos, cause he preferred trucks. What kind of working ethic you have when you don't even play guitar for 4 months?

The truth is that Slash, Duff and Steven always worked hard in GN'R, even in their worst junkie times (altohugh Steven got to a point when it really affected his playing) - while the others didn't like to work hard. I understand Izzy, cause he lost his motivation, but Axl has always been a lazy primadonna.

Yeah, once they had to ALL buckle down in get into a studio. That lazy ass thing works both ways.

I will concede that as of 2011, 20 years seperated from the Illusion albums, that I think it's pretty obvious Axl was the Chris Tucker of rock. He wanted to find a hit, get a name, score the big paycheck, then retire at 30.

I remember reading an interview with Izzy where he described the moment he decided to quit the band. He said he called his accountant and ask him how much money he had in the bank and what the value of his assets were. The accountant told him and Izzy promptly quit. 16

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
madagas wrote:

I remember reading an interview with Izzy where he described the moment he decided to quit the band. He said he called his accountant and ask him how much money he had in the bank and what the value of his assets were. The accountant told him and Izzy promptly quit. 16

Gotta love Izzy. 16

faldor

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Axl should just be happy about a couple of very important things:

1. The fact that he's still alive. Lord knows with his temper that he could have easily pissed off the wrong person over the years, especially during his younger days before GN'R became a popular music act.

2. The fact that he has a huge pile of cash and can live a luxurious lifestyle.

Why should he waste his time being bitter about ex-bandmates? I'd just be happy with the lifestyle I have and enjoy it.

Well you are assuming that he's living a miserable life and let's his hatred of Slash consume him.  Not saying that's a crazy belief to have, but we don't know that to be true.

I'm sure Axl is happy with at least some parts of his life, and isn't completely miserable.  I'm sure he enjoys the money he has earned over the years and has led to the luxuries he's been able to appreciate.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Well you are assuming that he's living a miserable life and let's his hatred of Slash consume him.  Not saying that's a crazy belief to have, but we don't know that to be true.

I'm sure Axl is happy with at least some parts of his life, and isn't completely miserable.  I'm sure he enjoys the money he has earned over the years and has led to the luxuries he's been able to appreciate.

He comes across pretty angry.

Board footer