You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: DUFF MCKAGAN Interviewed At Italy's GODS OF METAL Festival

Intercourse wrote:

It'll just have to be a difference of opinion for now then Axlin.

I saw an interview where Slash said that he does not have to ever worry about money again. I'm sure Guitar Hero made him untold millions. He still probably pulls big royalties from his back catalogue sales. I am not sure if they guy does this for the money or the fame but like the next man probably enjoys that aspect just the same. Who wouldn't?

The fact is that neither he nor Axl are where they used to be. Its hard to know how much that bothers either man. As a guitar player Slash has to find a vocalist to give him an avenue to work. All songs need a face.  All the great guitar players have taken up with bands/vocalists at some stage; from Satch to Vai etc I think that sometimes Slash has made poor choices.

Axl has the luxury of being the face already, he can be more selective about who he works for but you've seen the reaction to Robin / Paul Huge etc he got. Its almost as polarised as the fan reactions to Slash's choice of workmates.

In fairness to his work with Fergie, he did the job, promoted the song the way he wanted it then turned down the offer to pop it out for the dance market. There is some quality control there. He also seemed to have developed some sort of friendship with her before they collaborated.

I think Slash wants Guns back in lots of ways but he has drawn his line in the sand around late shows and being a proper band. I think he deserves props for that. Whether Axl gives a shit or not, if GNR reunited Slash wants us the fans to have it the way it should be and not the amateur's night out it is now.

You may feel that Slash has no reunion card but he does, millions of paying fans want him there and won't fully buy into the reunion if he is not. So

I think his album with Myles will go wood in sales, never mind gold like his last one. It's going to flop for sure. Then I think he'll go the Santana route and stay there.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: DUFF MCKAGAN Interviewed At Italy's GODS OF METAL Festival

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Slash calls no shots on a reunion.............

I just can't believe in 2011 that Slash fans, and Slash himself still think he holds some kind of weight in Axl's camp. It stuns me really. Any leverage he had, he signed away in 1991.

Firstly...let me put it out there that I think it's clear neither Axl or Slash will ever HAVE to buckle.

Financially I'm pretty sure the residuals will keep them both milionaires....and while I agree that Slash needs to keep busy to keep sober, he's put together 4 bands since quitting GNR that he's been able to tour the world with since, not to mention the countless guest spots. There's no reason every time a snakepit (which is what the new live myles kenedy band is to me - snakepit 3) implodes... he can just write some new tracks - retool the band and start over.

Meanwhile Axl has proven that he can always find a new guitarists and sell shows to a level that sustains the enterprise.

Bottom line is - it's going on 18 years or whatever since Slash left - if someone was going to crack for cash it would have happened long ago - they're both stuborn dudes who could do this forever - and in fact I think Axl's last word on the matter was indeed that he anticipates death first big_smile

Secondly.....let me tell you why Slash holds some cards.

And I say this as a fan of chinese, and a fan of bumblefoot and the new band.

Slash holds those cards because Joe General Public will not consider it GNR without him. Sucks balls for people who love the new music (like me) but that's what it is.

Axl could raise the devil and put him on lead guitar, and then Axl could write the best song in existance beamed to him directly from the mind of God....and you know what...Joe General Public and most of the media doesn't give a fuck unless it's Axl and Slash together.

And every day that a reunion doesn't happen those slash cards get stronger not weaker. If Axl had put together a new outfit early and had some hits thn maybe things change - but as the cookie has crumbled - every day that GNR doesn't release a lot of new music - is a day that the name refers more to AFD and UYI and then that's another day the GNR brand becomes a little more "classic hits" a little more "retro" and a little more of "famous band from back in the day" - that is - every day that passes they become more like Led Zep, Queen, Rolling Stones whatever iconic old band of the PAST you want to name...and the more the brand is percieved that way - the more the only thing that counts for shit to the audience is that it's the famous line up that's on stage.

Don't get me wrong. Axl has shown that he can survive without it - and that's what I expect him to do at this point. and...there's also those of us with open hearts and ears who love it all - like me - I love VR and I love Chinese and all the rest of it. So there's some of us around....but normal people arn't like me. Fuck..I mean bumble was nearly killed recently for FFS and half the posts on media reports of it or facebook and shit are from assholes saying he's not GNR and had it comming and bullshit like that. And bumble is fucking awesome, as a guitarist, and as a gentleman when I met him - but I just don't think a fair percentage of the population will ever move past old GNR and that is what it is.

So anyway...this idea that slash is powerless and will have to grovel to Axl for a reunion...I doubt it...I expect he will at random stages attempt a renuion - why? Because he knows damn well he wont find a singer as good as axl. And he knows that's what all his fans want. And he knows it would rain cash. And he knows artistically it would be best and so on. I'm not saying he'll never want back in GNR - the way he always shuts down anti-axl interviewers shows he does want back in. But he's not going to come back and accept any terms I dont think - because just like Axl he's proven he can subsist without the other.

But the thing is - for any reunion to be valid it needs two people - Axl and Slash - both of them are the key.

Axl, Duff, Matt and Izzy is not GNR to randoms without Slash...just like fucking VR isn't GNR...so yeah man...he holds weight in axl's camp - 50% of the weight to be exact 16

But I don't think it will happen. Primarily because Axl doesn't want it to, and because the one thing Slash seems to want from Axl seems to be the only thing Axl wouldn't ever be able to do.

Board footer