You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Rehearsals Streaming

DCK wrote:
faldor wrote:

The beat goes on.

Axl sucks
He can't sing anymore
They should be playing theaters
They're a glorified cover band
They're nothing more than a bar band at this point
Why can't they start the show on time?
They have no respect for their fans
They should be playing only new music
They shouldn't be living off the past
Ron can't hold Buckethead's jock
DJ's a Slash wannabe
They're all afraid to speak
This band sucks

You summed up 12 years of GNR discussions. It feels bad....

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

he is trapped in a very difficult and demanding vocal style and anybody that has tried to copy him should know that.
Ive seen Chris Cornell be sublime and flat also, it happens, nature won't allow you to be 'the man' every night.

that's exactly it.

nobody could or can sing like he does any more consistently. and he does put more into his performance than an eddie vedder, for example. he has to. if axl were singing in clear baritone all night it would be different. it takes pain and commitment to sing like axl and he does more damage to his vocal chords the raspier he sings, the higher he sings, the louder he screams, the better he sounds.

look at his labored face when he's singing 90 percent of the set list.
Compare that to the opening versus of sorry for example.
that would be a walk in the park for him if his setlist was full of sorry's and evenflows lol.

look up live and let die live on youtube-

see if you can find ONE example of axl nailing the intro back in the day.
then see if you can find ONE example of axl not nailing the intro in 2010, for example.

his voice is different now, ofcourse, due to age and wear and tear.
but it is also different due to maturity and improved technique.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

To play devil's advocate...he did choose to sing that way.  You don't get a pass for choosing to make your vocals as complicated and layered as possible.

Sky Dog wrote:

come on....that is what makes him unique....his voice, in the end, is unique. To me, his voice separated them from the rest of the hair metal pack in LA. He was Johnny Rotten savage, Robert Plant crooning, Mick Jagger swagger, and Elton John balladry all in one...with a flair for the dramatic like Freddie Mercury!

ps...I do realize you are arguing for arguments sake...thus the devil's advocate part

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

14 Ok so Axl strains his voice more than the average singer. Still doesn't mean he puts more into his performances or cares more about giving it his all than other WAY MORE professional performers who deliver quality vocal performances and sound on a  nightly basis than Mr. Axl "gives it his all" Rose.

Please! roll

Sky Dog wrote:

to amp up the convo....there are more guitar players that can do what Slash does than there are singers that can do what Axl does.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

In fact if we wanna be brutally honest about who gives it their all and who doesn't Axl is one of the very few performers who is known to actually sulk on stage and mail in performances or simply quit midway through so....

And comparing guitars to vocals is not even relevant. I could say the same thing about Robert Smith from the Cure. There's more guys that can play guitar like him than sing like him. Why? cause vocals are like finger prints they are unique to the individual, Rarely if ever can you duplicate them regardless of vocal range and talent

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

to amp up the convo....there are more guitar players that can do what Slash does than there are singers that can do what Axl can does.

Every second guitar player (Finck not included tongue) can redo Slash's stuff note by note, but anyone with ears can tell you, it's not him. Slash's playing (and writing) is unique and irreplacable.

Half of singers can sing Axl's stuff note by note, even better than him, cause it's not so difficult or technical some here would like to believe. But the voice and style is so unique that noone can come close.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You can go to a guitar shop and find a geeky, overweight, 40 year old computer tech playing guitar JUST AS GOOD, if not BETTER than Slash... I've seen it big_smile

I've heard people try to imitate Axl.  And they all sound like people trying to imitate Axl. 

That's not slagging Slash. Haven't heard anyone come up with Jungle and SCOM riffs.

But this argument's kind of silly.  smile

Especially considering I've seen people on this very board brag about how wasted GNR' were on stage and how great it was, even though they sounded like shit.

And I respect Axl more for bringing in guys who are the anti Slash's. You don't need someone to play note for note perfectly the way the other guy did. Don't need a clone. And Slash doesn't have to play stellar every night. That's Rock & Roll. There are people way better than both Axl and Slash in every department and more consistant than both of them put together. But I haven't found any that are half as interesting. Rock & Roll is more than playing every note perfectly and giving your all every night on stage.  Some of my favorite rock stars, bands, legends, weren't always on. You got a lot of bad with that greatness smile

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I've heard singers at the local bar that were better singers than Axl.  This discussion has gotten beyond ridiculous.  Technical talent isn't all it takes to make it in the industry.

Board footer