You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Guns N' Roses Live From Rock In Rio

metallex78 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I'll never base my opinion on how a show was good or bad from a you tube link.  And to those who expected them to play new songs.  After all these years you'd think you'd learn.  I knew this would not happen in a million years.

Rock In Rio 1991 they debuted songs from the then unreleased UYI
Rock In Rio 2001 they debuted a few songs from the then Chinese Democracy

So I don't think it was much of a stretch to expect new songs in 2011

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Yep this is why am more a slash fan these day

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I don't think Slash would never be that careless in front of a crowd that big,. Maybe back in the day when he was strung out or high, but these days he's the up-most professional musician.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

The next two-three shows will tell if this was just an off night for Axl.

I remember seeing them on the first Euro-show in Bergen, Norway in 2010. Axl seemed in a piss mood and acted very uninspired.
So an outta shape Axl is nothing new at the start of a tour.

If the next shows kicks ass, all will be forgotten. And if they surprise everyone by playing a new song or two, all hell will break loose!

But there's no excuse for not taking the whole thing more serious. He should really start showing up for rehearsals and soundcheck!

axlgod
 Rep: 16 

axlgod wrote:

I'm really enjoying reading these critical posts with perverse enjoyment. 
What a clusterfuck of a trainwreck!

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

I can't see this lasting if he can t even get the words right to songs he been singing for 20+ years let alone he has monitor with the words on them what hope is there.am in a band we play about 50 songs a gig and singer hardly ever forgets the word and we've only been together for  4 years and we don't have monitors lol

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Just watched Estranged again, and it's like a different band on that one song compared with the rest of the set. It's like they REALLY had something to prove by playing Estranged. Shame they didn't have that same attitude for the rest of the performance

Yeah, I honestly wonder if Axl rehearsed that one. How the fuck do you forget the lyrics to NR and Patience when you've sung them dozens upon dozens of times over the last couple years, while you NAIL Estranged when you allegedly haven't sung it in 18 years? Not buying it. He practiced on that one and didn't practice anything else.

Naltav wrote:

If the next shows kicks ass, all will be forgotten.

While this is true for the diehards, it's nowhere near true for casual fans that will watch the Rio performance and then give up on what Axl is doing this year. He blew his chance to kick ass on the world stage and create some good publicity for the upcoming American tour. The "watch Guns N' Roses live" on YouTube's homepage was priceless publicity. YouTube is one of the top 5 most active websites in the world. And he fucking blew it. Such a shame. I just feel bad for the Brazilians. They stayed up until 5 AM in a torrential downpour to watch him give a completely unprofessional performance.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't see it as careless...I think he just has ups and downs.

In my opinion I think something goes on with Axl where his voice is just not working properly some days, and, frankly, maybe his enitre mindset in terms of even being able to remember the lyrics and stuff. He's said before he uses prompters because thousands of thigns run through his brain, and we know he likes to get into particular states to peform. To be honest I think some days Axl wakes up the baddest ass lead singer in the world, and other days he wakes up feeling like a normal dude. And the problem is when one of those days happens to be a show day.

Given this situation, I think it's a shame that GNR is predominintantly a live band or whatever these days - as that's the area that seems to be having problems. In a controlled setting his voice still sounds amazing. And he can still write amazing songs. I think some of the CD songs are amongst his best lyrics and melodies.

To be honest, I deeply wish he'd focus on new music. I mean one day the band will end...and having 2000 boots of PC is no better than 1500 boots of it....but new songs would last for all of time.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think he does take it serious and that's why he's angry. He's pissed at himself for fucking up. I think it's just some nights he doesn't have the same abilities as others, and he probably finds that just as shitty as us.

Maybe he should have rehearsed more - but then can his voice take that? We don't know the situation.

Will be interesting to see if it was just an off night. Wouldn't be the first.

This is what i dont like about touring the old songs though, it's only ever going to be judged against younger versions of yourself endlessly...but he could still write something new that we'd all love.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer