You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Guns N' Roses Live From Rock In Rio

Smoking Guns wrote:
-D- wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

In Cramer's defense, Estranged didn't sound this good...  But, in comparison to all the other songs, it was fantastic.

[youtube]9k0KgkV4JaQ&feature=related[/youtube]

First one is the live era version, where Axl did overdubs back in 99...  The second one is straight up Tokyo version.

Yeah and like i was tryin to tell people last night.. Axl was singing that well running dead sprints.

its ok to overreact a tad though.. I was excited as fuck hearing it again but the prisoner of the moment hyperbole went a little overboard.

Yeah D, the with the Power in Axl's voice in those vids, there really is no comparison..  But, last night was still very good, just not as great as these two vids here.

**EDIT: Fuck, that live in tokyo version was fucking awesome, Axl was on fire, and even a tad too much rasp even made it more badass... He would just fight through to hit those notes, man, that was really awesome!!

Axl needs to get the guy that help Vince Neil get his voice back.  Vince is much better now than he has been in years past.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Do yas reckon the hd rip will Have much better sound quality

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Axl needs to release a best of dvd from the last few tours, theres some killer performances there, it would be nice to actually get professional footage to sit back and enjoy where everyone is on their A-game.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Bono wrote:

Ok well afte reading the last ten pages I see the excuse of it raining keeps coming up. This is the last time I will harp on it but watch this clip. It rained like that for the entire show and it was NEVER used as an excuse because simply it's not valid and in reality wasn't needed. If the badest band on the planet(Gn'R) is shot down by rain well than fuck me.  Bands play through rain all the time and it's a non issue.

well as long as we are being honest...U2 songs are hardly as complicated as gnr tunes...musically or vocally...yeah they are catchy..but technical...not so much

i'm not saying it was totally awful cuz of the rain...but i'm saying it could contribute to the odd flub here and there...over the course of the night...little mistakes can start to wear on ya....that sall i'm sayin...just finished brownstone and tbh seems like a pretty good gig so far...yeah ron messed up on jungle but so what...and axl's voice is a bit rusty but so far i see no reason to proclaim the end of the world yet...my adventure continues

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

D, you are comparing a 28 year old with a damn near 50 year old, you do realize that, right? I thought he nailed Estranged last night.

Axl is never going to sing the way he did back then again. He didn't have a long shelf life for his voice. His self imposed exile is probably the only reason he can still sing now.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

maybe he was just having one of those days where nothing seemed to go his way and it just finally got to him by the end

Yeah...and I can feel that.

Thing people forget is that Axl may be a little crazy but he's not stupid - he's highly intelligent - so I'm sure he's more acutely aware than us of weaknesses in his peformance.

Having an off night like this probably really saddens him.

Bono wrote:

After watching that Patience/PC clip seeing the look on Axl's face and the comment from Tommy it's pretty clear Axl was having a "Who am I kidding I suck" type of night.  And that would REALLY SUCK being in the middle of it and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

Yeah. Especially if your confidence does come and go.

(which in my opinion seems to be the case with Axl since 95 or so. Sometimes he seems convinced anything is possible - like recreating the band, 3 albums etc, other times he's shy to even go out in public for a year or more, and doesn't release new music. seems he flucuates.)

Only thing worse would be knowing you had a bad night liek this, then loggin in here and seeing 100 pages of people telling you that you suck.

( So if you read this Axl, even though it was an off night - please know that we still love what you've given us in the past and in the studio too 3 )

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Axl needs to release a best of dvd from the last few tours, theres some killer performances there, it would be nice to actually get professional footage to sit back and enjoy where everyone is on their A-game.

Fucken oth

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
gibbo wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Fucken oth

I would kill for a pro-shot of TWAT. Some of the latter peformances of it where Axl hit the high parts in the middle with full voice blew my mind.

johndivney wrote:

some of GnR's best shows have been in heavy rain
shouldn't have been a factor for Axl - maybe a band full of session musicians but they coped ok (while being denied the ability to run energetically across the stage as 4tus & $lashba do)

overall i agree w/neemo on the quality of the show but there are real issues that raised their ugly heads again thati'm still trying to reconcile

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

there are real issues that raised their ugly heads again thati'm still trying to reconcile

It's interesting your choice of words because I feel a lot of the fan base feels that way today. The need to reconcile.

For me it's the sense of frustration because I have an opinion on what people with the talent of Axl, DJ, Bumble can achieve in a studio, and yet it seems the band focuses on live entertainment, and that's a return that's always going to be harder than the year before as everyone gets older and so on.

(Although props to bumble for shredding out GNR even with a serious pain injury. My respects as I know from personal experience things like that can fuck with your mind. You wonder if you can do it at all)

So perhaps I live vicariously through the band too much - but I need to reconcile what I feel I know could be done with what seems to happen. It's not that they owe me anything. It's just seems such a waste to me. it's like meeting the hottest girl ever who decides to be a virgin until 55.
I just look on wondering.

The strange thing about that performance too was that it just didn't work. I know those guitarists are absolute pro grade top notch. And I know Axl can still do epic nights - he screamed the house down here in 2010...and in those asian shows in 2009....so it's hard to reconcile last night against those facts.

I guess it's just like getting a temporary stomach bug - sometimes shit happens ! lol

Board footer