You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Guns N' Roses Live From Rock In Rio

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:

D, you are comparing a 28 year old with a damn near 50 year old, you do realize that, right? I thought he nailed Estranged last night.

Axl is never going to sing the way he did back then again. He didn't have a long shelf life for his voice. His self imposed exile is probably the only reason he can still sing now.

last night people were saying that was the greatest performance of Estranged in the entire history of the band.

i am simply pointing out that it was very good but not the best.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Ali wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Too painful to watch.  Very sad.  Axl looks so lonely, and deep down he probably thinks, "Slash and that dude Myles sound much better than me and my band right now, what the fuck has happened to me, I can't sing, my monitor doesn't work, and DJ still fucks up patience after 5 years"...

Myles isn't all that, honestly.  He has no stage presence and while has a good voice from technical perspective, it's bland as hell.  Fail on your part 16

Ali

I was trolling with that bit about Slash and Myles, but honestly, that band is MUCH tighter than what you saw last night, and you know it.  And, unlike Axl, bland voice or not, Myles is  pro that hits a HIGH percentage of Axl's notes, let alone the notes in his own songs (which Axl couldn't hit many last night).  But yeah, I knew the Myles bit would get a rise out of you.

No, that band is not tighter on a night in and night out basis than GN'R.  I saw Slash live myself and his band is good,  but not better than the GN'R band.

Ali

Ali

Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:
misterID wrote:

Well, most bands are like that to be honest. Once they make it they rarely see each other and hardly ever hang out. From the interviews bands point to that as a reason they're able to keep a band together. So, I disagree there. It's not that unusual. Even for Guns after AFD, they didn't see each other for long stretches.

Axl hasn't changed his habits since 91. Maybe it's time he at least tweaked them. And maybe try singing the old songs in a different range like Elton John does.

Yeah, not seeing each other in a year is meaningless.  These are grown men with their own lives and Axl has never been one to rehearse with the band, for better or for worse.

Ali

it's not unusual but it's also definitely not meaningless - it reconfirms all the bad news we've heard or assumed about this band. the only direction they're heading is towards easy money - but when you're as lazy as Axl then nothing comes easily.

again to stress the point it's 4 yrs since CD & the most we have to go on about new material was Tommy's admission & guesses from an interview/twitter a few weeks back.
it's evidence there is zero desire to move this band forward, that there's zero desire to try.

edit - & we all know how well it's work post-AFD the band being separated by such distances..

It is meaningless, though.  Axl said during the 01/01/01 HOB show something about how he never showed up for rehearsals with the band. So, that was not the variable last night.  It just wasn't.  Axl had an off night, period.

Ali

-D-

-D- wrote:

I am trying to stay as positive as possible.. remember the debacle with the power being pulled and the megaphone from the stage

they ended up finding their A game at that Reading show was awesome

Ali

Ali wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Ali wrote:
misterID wrote:

Well, most bands are like that to be honest. Once they make it they rarely see each other and hardly ever hang out. From the interviews bands point to that as a reason they're able to keep a band together. So, I disagree there. It's not that unusual. Even for Guns after AFD, they didn't see each other for long stretches.

Axl hasn't changed his habits since 91. Maybe it's time he at least tweaked them. And maybe try singing the old songs in a different range like Elton John does.

Yeah, not seeing each other in a year is meaningless.  These are grown men with their own lives and Axl has never been one to rehearse with the band, for better or for worse.

Ali

Don't agree Ali, their lack of preparing is the main reason they sounded like a monkey trying to fuck a football out there.  This is how they make money, its the ONE thing they should take serious...

"Their" lack of preparing?  Are you serious?  Did you not read about how BBF streamed their rehearsals? How can you say that they didn't rehearse?  That's completely false.

Axl didn't rehearse with the band, but we have no idea what kind of vocal work he did or didn't do on his own.

Ali

-D-

-D- wrote:

So does this make up for Slash's terrible Super Bowl performance! hahahahahahaha

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well as long as we are being honest...U2 songs are hardly as complicated as gnr tunes...musically or vocally...yeah they are catchy..but technical...not so much

i'm not saying it was totally awful cuz of the rain...but i'm saying it could contribute to the odd flub here and there...over the course of the night...little mistakes can start to wear on ya....that sall i'm sayin...just finished brownstone and tbh seems like a pretty good gig so far...yeah ron messed up on jungle but so what...and axl's voice is a bit rusty but so far i see no reason to proclaim the end of the world yet...my adventure continues

To even suggest rain would impact Gn'R more than U2 because they noodle on the guitar more is a joke. Watch a performanceof Untill the End of the World and get back to me on technicalities of playing guitar. the Edge is all about doing technical shit just doesn't shred and even if he did it wouldn't make a difference. To suggest the rain would effect Axl's voice more than Bono's is an even bigger joke. Fact is rain is rain, bands throughout time have played in it and bands throughout time have put on great shows in it. Rain was a non factor. To suggest it was,  is to look for excuses. Sorry dude just being honest.

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:

D, you are comparing a 28 year old with a damn near 50 year old, you do realize that, right? I thought he nailed Estranged last night.

Axl is never going to sing the way he did back then again. He didn't have a long shelf life for his voice. His self imposed exile is probably the only reason he can still sing now.

last night people were saying that was the greatest performance of Estranged in the entire history of the band.

I am simply pointing out that it was very good but not the best.

I believe it was the best. I have never liked Estranged live but I liked it last night. Musically they sounded better than the old band(on that song) and vocally I thought Axl was pretty good. Never liked the way he sang it back in the day.

Ali wrote:

It is meaningless, though.  Axl said during the 01/01/01 HOB show something about how he never showed up for rehearsals with the band. So, that was not the variable last night.  It just wasn't.  Axl had an off night, period.

Ali

Did you ever think that Axl has far more off nights than other performers at his level BECAUSE he doesnt' rehearse? I dont' know just a  thought that popped inot my head. Weird how all other top notch performers in this world REHEARSE!

-D-

-D- wrote:
Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:

Ali

Did you ever think that Axl has far more off nights than other performers at his level BECAUSE he doesnt' rehearse? I dont' know just a  thought that popped inot my head. Weird how all other top notch performers in this world REHEARSE!

Prob doesn't help flying in the day of the show either.. u would think the change in time/climate/jet lag etc would have to reek havoc on your voice.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

no i was saying that axls vocal style is tougher to pull off than Bono's...obviously has nothing to do with the rain, but would def require more prep

the whole shredding noodling whatver you wanna call it is the whole point...arpeggios and chords are nothing compared to some of the shit that the gnr boys pull off....Edge is good at what he does, but he hardly plays a ton of crazy shit night in and night out

luv ya bono 19

Sorry fucking owned that was a good performance...same with the 007 spot

-D-

-D- wrote:
Neemo wrote:

no i was saying that axls vocal style is tougher to pull off than Bono's...obviously has nothing to do with the rain, but would def require more prep

the whole shredding noodling whatver you wanna call it is the whole point...arpeggios and chords are nothing compared to some of the shit that the gnr boys pull off....Edge is good at what he does, but he hardly plays a ton of crazy shit night in and night out

luv ya bono 19

Sorry fucking owned that was a good performance...same with the 007 spot

Im not sure i agree with that

its like in weight lifting... lets say u can bench 300lbs and i can only bench 200lbs.. I am still getting the exact same benefit benching 200 as u are benching 300

So with vocals.. .Bono being able to maintain his "Youth" range is no different than Axl's range even if Axl's is more difficult for the average person to sing with

its still "his" voice and range and he has proven when he is dedicated and gives a fuck he can do it. 2006 he blows away his early 90's vocals

Last night he seemed like he was lazy and didn't work on his craft any for a year.

Board footer