You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: Guns N' Roses Live From Rock In Rio

Ali wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I'm sure the band and singer are working to solve the technical & performance issues. But one of the biggest problems was Axl's conditioning coming into the show. He was fat, slow, out of breath, and out of tune. He should have spent weeks preparing for the physical rigor of this upcoming tour. Instead, he shows up late and bloated.

I don't think these are simple fixes. US critics will crucify him for his appearance; and now because his singing is suffering too, he will be torn apart because of that as well.

Some have suggested that he will work himself in to touring shape. Well, there is a problem with that: word of mouth will work faster than his weight loss. This tour will be hurt by low ticket sales if Axl cannot achieve that level of indvidual success sustained in 06/07. Critics and audiences will not settle for half value at full ticket price.  I don't even think the '10/11 version is good enough to impress audiences in the States.

Did his conditioning seem to be good?  No.  But, I don't see any significant difference in his appearance from the other night to 2010.

He has nearly a month's worth of shows before Orlando.  He'll be much better off by then, both in terms of his physical and vocal conditioning.  If he can sing as well as he did during the Canadian 2010 tour, I think it will be a great tour.

Ali

Ali

Ali wrote:
Bono wrote:

Going by your theory Ali pro sports teams would be just as well off if each individual player practiced on thier own in their back yard. Sorry but not rehearsing as a band(team) plays a huge part in it. It's only common sesne.

actually a  better analogy would be like saying as long as actors in a  broadway play knew their lines and practiced at home there'd be no benefit to an actual rehearsal in person with the other actors.

No, you completely misunderstood what I'm saying. You just don't get it.  I've been singing for the vast majority of my life, and while I'm not a professional, I've learned a lot from some amazing teachers I've had.  You do not need to work with your band to learn vocal melodies and lyrics and practice them.  You do not need to work with your band to work on your diaphragmatic breathing.  You do not need to work with your band to improve your cardiovascular conditioning.  It just isn't necessary.  There are other aspects, such as chemistry and timing that could be improved with full band rehearsals, but specific vocal preparations do not need full band participation.  I don't know what else to say, but this is the truth.  If anything was perhaps lacking, it was Axl's individual preparation.

Ali

Ali

Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:
Neemo wrote:

yeah he's pissed at himself for fuckign up the lyrics so many times....so he stations himself in front of the teleprompter so he doesnt lose sight of it in the glare of the stage lights....thats what it looks like to me anyway

anyway yeah there were a few fuckups and miscues but damn was still a good show overall imo...maybe my standards are lower than the rest of you fuckers...or myabe you are all crazy bastards for staying up all hours of the night to watch it...or for expecting new material cuz of some setlist of shady origins....i dunno i didnt expect all that shit so it was ok for me...Axl is even pretty into it at the end of PC...headbanging stomping and spinning the steering wheel mic stand....you crazy doomsayers need to fucking relax man..maybe give it a day or two and watch it again or something...it really wasnt nearly as bad as y'all made it out to be

peace out

no offense intended but this is the kind of fan attitude that allows the band to continuously underachieve and desecrate the legacy of one of the greatest bands of all time.

Maybe I am wrong for expecting more out of an all time great.

Wow, I had to read this post twice to make sure it actually said what I thought it did.  You think the fans' attitudes has any impact whatsoever?  Are you serious?  Did the fans choose to not promote the album as well as it should have been?  That certainly affected album sales.  Did the fans have any role in any preparations or lack thereof by Axl and/or the band?

These are all choices made for whatever reason by the individuals involved directly in the band and/or its management.  The fans and that kind of "fan attitude" had no bearing whatsoever on those decisions.

I'm sorry, but that comment is ridiculous.

Ali

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Its the people who excuse this bullshit and still go out and buy tickets etc that allow it to continue.. people like on various websites who refuse to see/hear what is right in front of them and gloss over stuff as if GNR are some regular random band

For some shit band... any performance is acceptable... not for GNR.

I'll be the first to praise this band and give them credit.. but I am not gonna ignore the obvious for fear of what others will think. I don't give a shit if anybody in the band/management what have you read my posts. Enablers may be the biggest problem in the GNR universe. I do this with any band I love. So it isn't just piling on GNR or being an Old band fan blah blah etc

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
-D wrote:

This is Guns N Roses.. some of u think cause there wasn't a massive riot that somehow it was a success. NO, that isn't the criteria we judge Axl by.

in 2006, i saw him absolutely blow Kid Rock off the fucking stage....... just dominated him.. his voice was BETTER than anytime during the UYI tour.. so Im sick of this "Axl is near 50" bullshit and this is the best he can do. Its bullshit. Axl got voted the number 1 living singer recently in that one poll..... he is not living up to that and it isn't because he can't.. its because he refuses to put in the necessary work which in turn rips off the fans who pay to see Axl Rose at top form.. not this.

People supporting this, think they are being a 'true' fan when in reality they are just enabling the same bullshit to happen year after year.

Well, since some of this was in-directly directed at me... 16

I enjoyed the show. There were A LOT of fuck ups. He looked out of shape. Still, I enjoyed the show. It was better than a lot of shows in 02 and 92. A few years back a girl I worked with saw GN'R back in the 80's. Said it was the worst show she had ever seen in her entire life. Maybe you 2 can have a conversation wink

Yes, he's near 50. You were comparing a 28 year old and a 47 year old. And nowhere did I ever say that was the best he could do, or make it an excuse. He nailed estranged. You got your panties in a bunch when some posters said it was the best version of Estranged they had ever heard from any GN'R line up, so you hunted down those old versions of Estranged and pointed out that he did it while running and jumping around and kept telling people they were wrong for thinking that. He's not going to be running around like that anymore. Even in 06 he put on a much more subdued performance than he was in 02. And he was much much better.

I'm not thinking about being a true fan. I'll leave that to you and jarmo, I guess. And I doubt Axl cares about what I think , so I'm not enabling him on anything. I didn't see it as a disaster. I thought he had some awesome moments and I liked the show. Sorry you don't like that, D. And I'm not going to think differently because you do, or because you think I should. neutral

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

This whole pile of shit called Rio made me rewatch 2006 Rock am Ring and holy shit dudes. The Jungle opener to that is HOW you are suppose to open a festival. Axl's scream in the beginning could knock 2011 Axl back into the 90's. I also noticed something that I couldn't put my finger on until now. The drums.. Frank doesn't have much power behind the kit. And this one is for Russ... I'd take Robin over Ashba.. I said it. Robin.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^ One of my favorite Axl performances.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

@ GN'R Facebook, they posted the DJ Ashba solo ('Guns N' Roses and Monster Energy Music artist DJ Ashba'). So far 1 like and 275 comments...

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
misterID wrote:

^^ One of my favorite Axl performances.

That and Nightrain when Izzy played with them are sick. Axl is so fucking pumped with Izzy on stage

Board footer