You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Santiago, Chile - October 5, 2011

misterID wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I really wonder now whats happened, mabye how CD was recieved just killed off any drive Axl had. Judging by how that album limped out in the end, mabye that drive was gone long before that...

For me though, Guns N'Roses is my favourite band, but not these guys - the real Guns N'Roses I grew up with.
I thought what Axl was building had so much potential, and the little original material we were exposed to in the early years I loved, so I didnt mind those guys stepping in the shoes of the old guys and being GNR, they were working on taking GNR forward.
But those guys are gone now and its a new cast and it seems like they have even given up the pretense of taking the band forward, digging into the the old bands and other bands discography seems like the height of their ambition and I'm not really down with that.
They are good performers sure and they put on a great show... I guess my problem is that the penny has finally dropped on me, like so many people have said here in the past, they are just the worlds most expensive cover band.

Bit of a weak ending to the once mighty Guns N'Roses.

I think we're inchig back into the arm chair psychologist, tea reader thing from Rio again.

I don't think he's lost his drive. I've never understood the way Axl operates and probably never will. I know that every time people call it the end, that he's self destructing, starts writing the bands eulogy or whatever, it ends up not being the case.

I'm sure he doesn't see things the way you or I do.

And they didn't start busting out covers until Ron got in the band. I think he brought them in to have fun and it's become their thing now. I have no problem with it.

There's a new song on the setlist, hopefully we'll hear it.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Yep seems like its a big improvement, any fuck ups wont be as apparent anyway seeing as its not being beemed live around the world, but they were all better than what they produced on the big stage the other night, thats why it was so disapointing and it could only really get better.
Find it a bit weird that they have added yet another AC/DC song to the set... this is the guy who spent how many years and how many millions making how many records worth of new material? Throwing in a cover version at the end of the set is a fun idea, but to have so many seems kind of weak.
Pretty disapointed to be honest, even if they dust off OMG it seems like they are scraping the barrel for ideas, and the reality of the elusive follow up album is its just mad notion in the minds of a few nutty online fans.
Infact I couldnt care less if they start breaking out Coma, Locomotive, The Garden, Breakdown etc - thats the old bands accomplishments,  by now this line up should be living and dying by their own work.

If you're disappointed by the fact that the band isn't playing any new songs, well, I can understand that from the fan's and the band's perspective.  On one hand, obviously we want to hear new material.  On the other hand, history has shown that if the band plays a new song live, it will spread all over the internet and the fans will get attached to that working version.  I can see how the band wouldn't want to do that.

Regardless, the track "Going Down" is likely not "Ain't Goin' Down" and doesn't seem like any potential cover song I know of, so maybe that is a new song that may be played at some point in the future.

Ali

Sky Dog wrote:

Olorin, what a difference a decade makes....I am with ya. 2001 was full of potential and excitement. As soon as the braids came on in 2002, things started to go haywire. 16

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I share your ideas Olorin. I wasn't into this for this band (whatever version) to cover those old songs, but I have to settle with the fact that without those songs they prolly wouldn't tour at all. I settled with this new band idea in 2001 because of the potential of morphing into something new, which they were doing in 2002. That was what I was going with and what I was supporting. I was never onboard with a nostalgia act with Axl the only original member. I was on board with Axl pushing this band into it's own with Chinese Democracy and beyond. Hey, I like DJ Ashba and I like this song writing abilities, but since he's there, then get down to business with it. I'm not into watching fucking Sweet Child O Mine for the umpteenth time. I was on with his because I saw a massive potential for amazing work. Then the pieces just fell out one by one after 2002, and then Chinese came and went. It's been three years for fucks sake, get this band to stand on it's own feet. Keep the old stuff to a minimum and by no way did I ever expect this band to STILL play Live and Let Die, Knocking on Heavens Door and spray the set list with whatever old stuff, reluctant to ever introduce new songs. These days I simply fast forward over anything old and listen to the Chinese stuff, because that's what this band at least was supposed to be all about, even if that band is largely gone too.

But, sadly, that's not what those South American fans want. They want that old stuff. I feel held down by a ton of mediocre GNR fans going for a nostalgia act, pushing their way forward getting their wishes fullfilled while those of us who were in this for something else just stand in the back of the arena waiting to listen to those small bits of Chinese Democracy we can get and basically being laughed at at the same time because "everyone knows Chinese was shit and we're here to listen to Paradise City".

Ah for fucks sake.

johndivney wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I really wonder now whats happened, mabye how CD was recieved just killed off any drive Axl had. Judging by how that album limped out in the end, mabye that drive was gone long before that...

For me though, Guns N'Roses is my favourite band, but not these guys - the real Guns N'Roses I grew up with.
I thought what Axl was building had so much potential, and the little original material we were exposed to in the early years I loved, so I didnt mind those guys stepping in the shoes of the old guys and being GNR, they were working on taking GNR forward.
But those guys are gone now and its a new cast and it seems like they have even given up the pretense of taking the band forward, digging into the the old bands and other bands discography seems like the height of their ambition and I'm not really down with that.
They are good performers sure and they put on a great show... I guess my problem is that the penny has finally dropped on me, like so many people have said here in the past, they are just the worlds most expensive cover band.

Bit of a weak ending to the once mighty Guns N'Roses.

agree
u are otm re their ambitions
it's sad but true. axl's actions do prove he has given up artistically in what he wants from Guns & to the rest it's a job.

Sky Dog wrote:

As good as Estranged was at Rio, it is still the definition of nostalgia....let's bust out The General and talk turkey.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
Bono wrote:

the weight issue from Rio was disgustingly over exagerated. I thought it was clear he was bundled up. Looked like he was trying to fit his leather jacket over a  hoodie or something.  Yeah he's got a double chin but he's 48. If we wanna talk about his look let's talk about the stupid fucking hats he wears. Talk about try hard. Get rid of those. Looks ten times cooler without the hat. Shit he should even ditch the bandana here and there.

And I find it odd that Axl wears sunglasses all the time during all the shows so late in his career. I know that sounds odd coming from a  U2 fan considering Bono wears sunglasses nonstop(probably sleeps in them too) But I wonder why Axl has suddenly adopted this. he never wore sunglasses durring the Illusion era or the 2001-2002 era rarely during 2006 but lately he wears them all the time.  I wonder if he's self conscious about the work he's had done? Just a question not bagging on him.

from all accounts this seems like it was a much better show.  Didn't like his voice in that Whole Lotta Rosie clip though. Tha's the only clip I watched.  I gotta honestly say I'm pretty bored with it all. YES I'm still posting, doesn't mean I'm not bored with what the BAND is doing. I don't get bored of the discussion.  Still no new material being played just makes me yawn. I have no desire to check out the boots cause really what for?  To check out the 763rd version of Welcome to the Jungle?

I think even with the hat it is self consciousness. I wear a baseball cap or a ski hat quite a lot, well known round my part for wearing a hat. But what most dont know is that I get quite self conscious now and then, and I dunno why but putting on a hat sometimes feels like it gives me a wee bit of shelter and I dont feel so exposed. It was worse when I was fat, I got in good shape a few years back and never wore a hat much at all, looking back I was oozing confidence. Now I'm not in good or bad shape, just ok I suppose, but sometimes when I'm leaving the house feeling a bit shitty about myself, I'll be searching around for one of my bunnets to pull on before I head out and face the world 16

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
madagas wrote:

As good as Estranged was at Rio, it is still the definition of nostalgia....let's bust out The General and talk turkey.

Yeah, just bring it on. What's the hold up? Bring it on. I'd sacrifice Estranged in a heartbeat for The General, Jackie Chan or whatever Axl calls his songs. Just bust them out.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:
russtcb wrote:

"weak ending to the once mighty Guns N' Roses"?? Do what now? I was very worried about the tour immediately following Rio the other night, but by no means did I think it was "the end".

depends what u mean by 'the end' i think olorin is talking about the realisation of the transformation of what GnR was into what it is. once it was a dynamic rock n roll band now it's an oldies act. his use of 'weak' disguises the shocking betrayal @ the core of the ideology this transformation has enacted but i don't blame olorin for that as it's too depressing to mull upon.

Board footer