You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Santiago, Chile - October 5, 2011

Olorin wrote:
misterID wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I really wonder now whats happened, mabye how CD was recieved just killed off any drive Axl had. Judging by how that album limped out in the end, mabye that drive was gone long before that...

For me though, Guns N'Roses is my favourite band, but not these guys - the real Guns N'Roses I grew up with.
I thought what Axl was building had so much potential, and the little original material we were exposed to in the early years I loved, so I didnt mind those guys stepping in the shoes of the old guys and being GNR, they were working on taking GNR forward.
But those guys are gone now and its a new cast and it seems like they have even given up the pretense of taking the band forward, digging into the the old bands and other bands discography seems like the height of their ambition and I'm not really down with that.
They are good performers sure and they put on a great show... I guess my problem is that the penny has finally dropped on me, like so many people have said here in the past, they are just the worlds most expensive cover band.

Bit of a weak ending to the once mighty Guns N'Roses.

I think we're inchig back into the arm chair psychologist, tea reader thing from Rio again.

I don't think he's lost his drive. I've never understood the way Axl operates and probably never will. I know that every time people call it the end, that he's self destructing, starts writing the bands eulogy or whatever, it ends up not being the case.

I'm sure he doesn't see things the way you or I do.

And they didn't start busting out covers until Ron got in the band. I think he brought them in to have fun and it's become their thing now. I have no problem with it.

There's a new song on the setlist, hopefully we'll hear it.

I'm not trying to spoil anyones enjoyment of what this is and I wont be shitting on anyones good times in the threads of the upcoming tour. This is how I feel now, been building up for quite a while, just expressing it. Feels like the end of an era for me, like Bono I just cant be bothered watching these audience recordings anymore, I'm worn out with them. An official live dvd would be a nice treat, especially after waiting so long for one, personally I think we should all take the hint on that subject as well... it wont happen. But other than that, all I care about is new music from them and dont have an ounce of belief in that possiblity anymore.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I really wonder now whats happened, mabye how CD was recieved just killed off any drive Axl had. Judging by how that album limped out in the end, mabye that drive was gone long before that...

For me though, Guns N'Roses is my favourite band, but not these guys - the real Guns N'Roses I grew up with.
I thought what Axl was building had so much potential, and the little original material we were exposed to in the early years I loved, so I didnt mind those guys stepping in the shoes of the old guys and being GNR, they were working on taking GNR forward.
But those guys are gone now and its a new cast and it seems like they have even given up the pretense of taking the band forward, digging into the the old bands and other bands discography seems like the height of their ambition and I'm not really down with that.
They are good performers sure and they put on a great show... I guess my problem is that the penny has finally dropped on me, like so many people have said here in the past, they are just the worlds most expensive cover band.

Bit of a weak ending to the once mighty Guns N'Roses.

DCK wrote:

I share your ideas Olorin. I wasn't into this for this band (whatever version) to cover those old songs, but I have to settle with the fact that without those songs they prolly wouldn't tour at all. I settled with this new band idea in 2001 because of the potential of morphing into something new, which they were doing in 2002. That was what I was going with and what I was supporting. I was never onboard with a nostalgia act with Axl the only original member. I was on board with Axl pushing this band into it's own with Chinese Democracy and beyond. Hey, I like DJ Ashba and I like this song writing abilities, but since he's there, then get down to business with it. I'm not into watching fucking Sweet Child O Mine for the umpteenth time. I was on with his because I saw a massive potential for amazing work. Then the pieces just fell out one by one after 2002, and then Chinese came and went. It's been three years for fucks sake, get this band to stand on it's own feet. Keep the old stuff to a minimum and by no way did I ever expect this band to STILL play Live and Let Die, Knocking on Heavens Door and spray the set list with whatever old stuff, reluctant to ever introduce new songs. These days I simply fast forward over anything old and listen to the Chinese stuff, because that's what this band at least was supposed to be all about, even if that band is largely gone too.

But, sadly, that's not what those South American fans want. They want that old stuff. I feel held down by a ton of mediocre GNR fans going for a nostalgia act, pushing their way forward getting their wishes fullfilled while those of us who were in this for something else just stand in the back of the arena waiting to listen to those small bits of Chinese Democracy we can get and basically being laughed at at the same time because "everyone knows Chinese was shit and we're here to listen to Paradise City".

Ah for fucks sake.

Those two posts sum up the entire thing to perfection.

This whole  thing NEVER took off, NEVER will take off and really it's because Axl allowed the nostlagia factor to outweigh  the forward progress. For whatever reason he just simply never wanted to embrace his era of Guns N' Roses and don't anybody give me the whole "there were legal issues and there's more to it than we know and we don't know what Axl's thnking" cause that bullshit is extremely tired. Had Axl wanted to embrace his era of Guns N' Roses he would've and it could've happend but nope..... let's toil away in nostalgia which is what he's done and will clearly continue to do.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

He could easily please both sides of the table by keeping those monster hits and doing new songs. There are NO need to play semi-known GNR songs in this set any longer. No need at all. Those nostalgia goers will circle jerk over November Rain and SCOM alone.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
russtcb wrote:

"weak ending to the once mighty Guns N' Roses"?? Do what now? I was very worried about the tour immediately following Rio the other night, but by no means did I think it was "the end".

And I just spent a few minutes watching some of the clips every one provided and I couldn't be happier with turnaround. Band sounded awesome again, Axl sounded far better, Axl was in far better spirits.... all good things.

Good for you that you still get a kick out seeing these guys playing Guns N Roses, and I'm not going to say your wrong. I just happen to see it differently now, and to me its just a cover band and a shadow of what Guns N'Roses once was, thats what I meant. They could play the entire UYI's back to back at the next show and Axl has the performance of a lifetime, but they'd still just be filling the shoes of the guys that made history.
I've found this line up has lost its lustre, till the time they start releasing and performing music of their own and we can see what they are really made of, in my eyes it'll just continue looking more and more like nothing else than rather extravagant cabaret act.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

It's good fun and it's cool to listen to the tunes in concert, but it doesn't satisfy those needs I wanted when I started this journey ten years ago.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Olorin wrote:
russtcb wrote:

"weak ending to the once mighty Guns N' Roses"?? Do what now? I was very worried about the tour immediately following Rio the other night, but by no means did I think it was "the end".

And I just spent a few minutes watching some of the clips every one provided and I couldn't be happier with turnaround. Band sounded awesome again, Axl sounded far better, Axl was in far better spirits.... all good things.

Good for you that you still get a kick out seeing these guys playing Guns N Roses, and I'm not going to say your wrong. I just happen to see it differently now, and to me its just a cover band and a shadow of what Guns N'Roses once was, thats what I meant. They could play the entire UYI's back to back at the next show and Axl has the performance of a lifetime, but they'd still just be filling the shoes of the guys that made history.
I've found this line up has lost its lustre, till the time they start releasing and performing music of their own and we can see what they are really made of, in my eyes it'll just continue looking more and more like nothing else than rather extravagant cabaret act.

No disrespect intended, but you say you're not going to say he's wrong, but then you kind of do. He was talking about the rebound from Rio, not if this is a cover band or not. That's what I hope doesn't happen, that every conversation gets dragged into that. This is what I invision all future threads turning into now... I mean, again. 16

If a new song isn't played, I'm not going to follow the show updates. But I'm not going to get pissed off if they don't. But, its on the setlist. That's what I'm hoping for.

I wanted him to rebound last night from Rio and he did. That makes me happy. And it looked like a great show. I want to see this line up live. I haven't before smile

I'd love for him to operate differently. There's a lot more important things in life that I hope for. But I can't change it. I WANT NEW SONGS. I'm going to see what happens.

Sky Dog wrote:

Spalding, you will get nothing and like it! cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=0f6l1QljpMo

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

haha

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
misterID wrote:
Olorin wrote:
russtcb wrote:

No disrespect intended, but you say you're not going to say he's wrong, but then you kind of do. He was talking about the rebound from Rio, not if this is a cover band or not. That's what I hope doesn't happen, that every conversation gets dragged into that. This is what I invision all future threads turning into now... I mean, again. 16

If a new song isn't played, I'm not going to follow the show updates. But I'm not going to get pissed off if they don't. But, its on the setlist. That's what I'm hoping for.

I wanted him to rebound last night from Rio and he did. That makes me happy. And it looked like a great show. I want to see this line up live. I haven't before smile

I'd love for him to operate differently. There's a lot more important things in life that I hope for. But I can't change it. I WANT NEW SONGS. I'm going to see what happens.

Did I? Didnt mean to, he's got his point of view, I have mine, dont think theres a right or wrong when we are talking bout how we feel. Anyway I'm done, I'll mibbie continue this in the approriate section, seeing as this is the GNR section after all wink

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer