You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Slash - "Made In Stoke" DVD & Blu-ray

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

There's pros and cons to both Axl and Myles.

Axl: Well - fuck - he wrote these songs - props for that - and even in his worst shape he has enough chrisma and stage pressence to kill most peformers. Then there's the passion he brings to songs. When he's on - it's like he's reliving the lyrics right there in front of you - there's an authenticity to it and an energy and passion to the music.

His weakness is that he's not consistant. He still has it for sure and can still deliver a kickass show - but there's times when he struggles on songs or will not do as well. He's human afterall, and it shows more in 2011 than it did in 1988 - which makes sense.

Myles: He's consistant as hell. He always sounds the same pretty much. Never really heard him have a weak night vocally. And slash worked his ass off with near nightly shows for a long time - then he did alterbridge - then back to slash. He can hit the pitches on cue time after time, and is rock solid at it, also able to do a listenable cover of most any singer - like all the singers on the solo band, Axl and Scott...not an easy task. His weakness is his tone is quite generic rock sounding...and while he hits the notes..he doesn't have the same agression as Axl.

So it's a trade off in terms of what you get.  Take 'nightrain' - myles sings it well - in a sort of a sheet music kind of way - but then listen to RAR 2006 Axl do it - and it blows myles away - in Axl's version there's a whole sense of tragic consequences about it - that maybe riding the nighttain isn't going to end so well...just in the tone of his voice...just not there in the myles version. But then the downside of Axl is - sure there's specific peformances that destroy everything - but you dont know for sure that's what you'll get some night.

Anyway...i think insulting either guy is kinda nuts. I mean Axl's the man for writing these lyrics, and he's one of the greatest frontmen in history. Meanwhile Myles is doing a really impossible job of covering so many different styles  on these shows with slash - and he's making passable versions of GNR songs (which is hard to do - 90% of the time I cringe at any singer whos not Axl doing GNR tracks - while myles isn't doing them like Axl would - they're still listenable to me - which is rare).

And I agree with bono and smoking guns who mentioned that Slash's playing on this disk is just pure GNR...the feel is just totally there.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Axl sings with grit and rasp and hits some notes and misses others. Sometimes he can be on for entire songs, other times not.

Myles sings clean and generally hits all of the notes, but sounds much weaker by comparison. But that's not to say he's bad, he just sings in a different style.

Let's face it, Axl has THE rock n roll rasp voice. No-one does it better than him, at least in my opinion.

If Myles brought some grit to his vocal delivery, I think he'd sound much better, but it doesn't seem to be his thing, and he can still hit the high notes required to play the GN'R back catalogue, which keeps Slash happy.
And given Slash's fine form lately, I'm pretty fuckin happy about that too.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Pure guitar wise, this is an all time classic for me already.  Up there for me with Gary Moore live at the Montreaux 1990.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

...as good as Ron is, he can't capture that "Feel" Slash has.  He just can't.

No one can. 21

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
gibbo wrote:
Bono wrote:

Calling Axl a "fat fuck" is flat out stupid. How in the hell is he fat? Who comes up with this shit.  Also how  in the hell can anyone say Myles sings Gn'R songs better than Axl or even has a better voice period? Did I miss something here or what?

As far as these performances go I'll say this, Slash's playing on these songs is BY FAR better than anything that is currently in Guns N' Roses. based on the music alone I think these performances sound better than anything I've heard from any era of Gn'R post Illuions. Seriously that is one tight sounding band. Now the one big thing missing is Axl's voice. Myles does ok but his voice really is generic rock n' roll sounding.

I think Myles did pretty decent on that RQ performance and as far as the music goes on that performance I'm with Mikkamakka, that just may have been the best performance ever of that song musically.

Am not say myles is better am just say he not as bad as most of you make out look at all the singers he has to cover fuck me give him some creidt. myles n his prime and axl in his prime. axl is the man theres not doubt about that he does a pretty good job

Sorry but Mr. Brownstone is possibly my favorite GN'R song. Axl's voice on that song is fucking perfect, even in 2011 as a "fat fuck" 49 year old. He's the only guy that can sing it like that. Myles sounds like shit on it. Not going to give props when I don't feel they're warranted.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

seriously thinking about cuttin these clips to mp3 for my player.  slash is fucking insane on guitar lately.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I'm with monkey and metallex on this one. Noone sings GN'R better than Axl, and noone plays it better than Slash, cause these are their OWN songs, these are coming from their veins. However it's surprising that some people who are very vocal how much they prefer any clown over Slash, go apeshit when someone dares to say the obvious that Myles is technically a better singer than Axl. Fact. Just like it's a fact that Bucket and Bumble is techically a better guitarist than Slash. Does it make them better on GN'R songs? Hell no. But they can play them extremely good, just like Myles sings those better than anyone, but Axl.

(Yes, I know the deaf flaming will start that guitarists are replacable, but singers, at least Axl Rose, is not. Well, a DJ Ashba is replacable in a minute. Slash - never.)

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer