You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Slash - "Made In Stoke" DVD & Blu-ray

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I'm with monkey and metallex on this one. Noone sings GN'R better than Axl, and noone plays it better than Slash, cause these are their OWN songs, these are coming from their veins. However it's surprising that some people who are very vocal how much they prefer any clown over Slash, go apeshit when someone dares to say the obvious that Myles is technically a better singer than Axl. Fact. Just like it's a fact that Bucket and Bumble is techically a better guitarist than Slash. Does it make them better on GN'R songs? Hell no. But they can play them extremely good, just like Myles sings those better than anyone, but Axl.

(Yes, I know the deaf flaming will start that guitarists are replacable, but singers, at least Axl Rose, is not. Well, a DJ Ashba is replacable in a minute. Slash - never.)

Myles doesn't sing them better than everyone except Axl. There are tribute singers out there who sing them better than Myles. Dude is OK on certain songs but terrible on others. I don't know if you guys have ever seen any videos by UK Guns N' Roses, but that singer is the closest thing to a good Axl impression that I've ever seen. His only flaw is that he's a bit nasally, but it's nowhere near as bad as Axl's 2002 helium voice or Myles' disastrous Axl impression.

As far as guitarists go, Slash isn't replaceable. I still can't stand how Robin would ruin the SCOM solo. As far as I'm concerned, only Slash should be allowed to fuck it up since he wrote it. Even sloppy, drugged up Slash still kicked ass back in the day. No one plays guitar with the type of feel that Slash has. Same goes for Axl's 2002 helium voice. Was it awful? Hell yeah. But at least it was the real guy doing it and not some butchered cover by someone else, whether it be Myles or Fergie or countless others who have ruined GN'R covers over the years with bad vocals. Myles has a great voice in his own right. He should just sing the songs with his natural voice instead of attempting to imitate Axl. It just doesn't work well on 95% of the material.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

We all agree Myles is very good singer on his stuff, which is why we should all have some level of hope for the new album....

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Duff, Axl and Slash are all at their best form in years right now..where is the reunion fairy godmother when you need her?

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

We all agree Myles is very good singer on his stuff, which is why we should all have some level of hope for the new album....

Definitely looking forward to it. Enjoyed Starlight a lot.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Right. That's more or less what I was saying. But like I said in a world where we can't all have it the way we want it, I'll take Axl and Guns N' Roses together with Slash and Myles as "the best alternative".

Yeah...don't get me wrong i'd love to see Axl/Slash be buds again..but in a way it's kinda double the fun too this way.

Like DJ is no Slash but he's a great guitarist and writer and I'm interested to see what he would inspire out of Axl. Meanwhile Myles is no Axl, but he sounds good with Slash anyway - and I'm excited for a full record from them.

It doesnt really need to be a contest. They don't like working together anymore but have found people they can work well with anyway. I'm ok with that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Same goes for Axl's 2002 helium voice. Was it awful? Hell yeah. But at least it was the real guy doing it and not some butchered cover by someone else, whether it be Myles or Fergie or countless others who have ruined GN'R covers over the years with bad vocals.

Interesting, for me that almost made it worse. Like when it's someone else I can go "well he isn't Axl" but when Axl came out and sang it like that I was like "What's happened? What's going on?".

Really sort of freaked me out - in 2002 I honestly beleived he must have perminately damaged his voice on the UYI tour, or had an operation go bad or that there was some serious issue. But i'm not so sure these days - as he seemed stronger again in 2006...and then in 2010 or 2011 it seems you get different things different nights. So maybe it's simply him trying to protect his voice, and or the effects of natural age and so on.

tejastech08 wrote:

Myles has a great voice in his own right. He should just sing the songs with his natural voice instead of attempting to imitate Axl. It just doesn't work well on 95% of the material.

To my ears I don't really hear him attempting to do Axl's voice...I think he's just a little nasal naturally once you get into the super high pitched register of Axl's parts.

You have to consider the context too. He's also covering VR and Snakepit so that Slash can do an entire catalogue show. So like once he's recorded a new album with slash - then basicly the GNR tracks will most likely be bonus numbers like they were at a VR show.

I'm not saying he's as good as Axl. But I can listen to this version - and - because he has the chops - it's possible for them to attempt any GNR song - compare it to liek Scott - where all they could ever play was like Patience/Brownstone etc - no way in fuck that line up was ever going to bust out Civil War etc....so I'm happy that slash has a guy that facilitates him playing some of his best songs again.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

To my ears I don't really hear him attempting to do Axl's voice...I think he's just a little nasal naturally once you get into the super high pitched register of Axl's parts.

Listen to that performance of Brownstone. It damn sure is NOT Myles' natural voice by any means. It's a fucked up imitation of Axl which just comes across really awful IMHO. Hell, Fergie's atrocious SCOM is somehow better than Myles' Brownstone.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Duff, Axl and Slash are all at their best form in years right now..where is the reunion fairy godmother when you need her?

To be honest, I'd rather have things the way they are now than a reunion. Before everyone loses their mind, let me explain that;

If you have Slash and Duff out, happy but separate and playing the shit out of GN'R tunes, that's great by me. Axl's obviously very happy out playing with Guns N' Roses and playing the shit out of the tunes too. I'd rather see everyone happy and separate then come together and possibly have a tour that turns out not so happy because no one really likes each other.

I'm with you.  While I'd love to see Slash and Axl share the stage once again, I'd only want it if it's truly what they wanted.  And that's just not the case right now, and probably never will be again.  The ONLY reason they'd reunite is for money, and I'm not selfish enough to use that as an excuse.  I'm fine with the way things are right now.  I could care less if the rest of rock universe doesn't accept things the way they are.  Things are going about as well as they have in YEARS, no need to derail things.

With that being said, I'd love for the original guys to "kiss and make up" for one night at the R&RHOF, assuming they get in.  My fear though, is that would just intensify the wants and needs for a reunion, and I don't foresee that being a good thing for the current lineup.

Board footer