You are not logged in. Please register or login.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Re: Robin vs. DJ Ashba

What does the release date of Chinese have to do with Robin touring with NIN? I also think to highlight the word "quit" is a bit unfair to the guy.

Robin re-joined NIN officially in April 2008 because there were no road plans in place for G&R in the foreseeable future. God know what Robin knew concerning the lawsuits floating around Axl. But the album was released in late November with no touring until 2010.  Clearly, Robin had a chance to create music, get out on the road, and do something. I can't fault him for that. If anyone was privy to the techno-gadgets that Trent employed on that tour, you might understand why Robin was so excited to jump back in. It was quite an incredible event, surpassing even a U2 show (which Trent has pointed comments about their theft of his onstage technology).

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
killingvector wrote:

What does the release date of Chinese have to do with Robin touring with NIN? I also think to highlight the word "quit" is a bit unfair to the guy.

Robin re-joined NIN officially in April 2008 because there were no road plans in place for G&R in the foreseeable future. God know what Robin knew concerning the lawsuits floating around Axl. But the album was released in late November with no touring until 2010.  Clearly, Robin had a chance to create music, get out on the road, and do something. I can't fault him for that. If anyone was privy to the techno-gadgets that Trent employed on that tour, you might understand why Robin was so excited to jump back in. It was quite an incredible event, surpassing even a U2 show (which Trent has pointed comments about their theft of his onstage technology).

I didn't say I blamed him for making the decisions he made.  But I still view it as he QUIT Guns N' Roses.  Because in the end, that's what it turned out to be.  He went to re-join NIN on their massive tour.  Great!  Good for him.  NIN stopped touring and it was clear that was going to be the case.  I'm sure Robin could've easily picked up the phone and told Axl he'd be willing to rejoin the band at a later date.  It seemed Axl left that door wide open.  But that never happened, and GNR went onward and hired DJ to replace him.

Obviously we don't know all the details, but that's the way I view it from my house.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
killingvector wrote:

It was quite an incredible event, surpassing even a U2 show (which Trent has pointed comments about their theft of his onstage technology).

U2's show was so massive but in terms of technological wow factor NIN was light years ahead. Some of the shit you were seeing on stage in 2008/2009 was just mindblowing and I found myself wondering how I was seeing some of the shit I was seeing. U2 stole nothing from NIN in terms of production in my opinion. At least froma  fan viewer's perspective. I don't see anythg remotely similar really. U2 had an awesome video screen which was in production to be built before NIN even toured so.....  other than that lights are lights and that's what U2 had. NIN had like a magic show of illusions.  Both were awesome. U2 for it's sheer size, NIN for the fact it left you scratching your head wondering how they did that.

killingvector

faldor wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I didn't say I blamed him for making the decisions he made.  But I still view it as he QUIT Guns N' Roses.  Because in the end, that's what it turned out to be.  He went to re-join NIN on their massive tour.  Great!  Good for him.  NIN stopped touring and it was clear that was going to be the case.  I'm sure Robin could've easily picked up the phone and told Axl he'd be willing to rejoin the band at a later date.  It seemed Axl left that door wide open.  But that never happened, and GNR went onward and hired DJ to replace him.

Obviously we don't know all the details, but that's the way I view it from my house.

Ashba was hired in March 2009. NIN toured through September 2009.

By that timeline, it would not have been possible for Axl to offer the position back to Finck until he knew when the NIN tour was going to end. I don't think that was knowable in March 2009.

I suspect Axl felt the pressure to get someone on board or saw an opportunity to fill the position with a solid player and jumped on it.

You are entitled to your opinion, but considering the long delays in the release of Chinese, tours that started/ended abruptly, and long periods of inactivity, I don't fault Bucket or Robin from leaving to do something else.

killingvector

Bono wrote:
killingvector wrote:

It was quite an incredible event, surpassing even a U2 show (which Trent has pointed comments about their theft of his onstage technology).

U2's show was so massive but in terms of technological wow factor NIN was light years ahead. Some of the shit you were seeing on stage in 2008/2009 was just mindblowing and I found myself wondering how I was seeing some of the shit I was seeing. U2 stole nothing from NIN in terms of production in my opinion. At least froma  fan viewer's perspective. I don't see anythg remotely similar really. U2 had an awesome video screen which was in production to be built before NIN even toured so.....  other than that lights are lights and that's what U2 had. NIN had like a magic show of illusions.  Both were awesome. U2 for it's sheer size, NIN for the fact it left you scratching your head wondering how they did that.

Trent seems to have a different opinion, but I don't know enough about his thoughts to make an educated opinion.

Both NIN and U2 offer the greatest two stage shows in music today.

Bono

Bono wrote:
killingvector wrote:

Both NIN and U2 offer the greatest two stage shows in music today.

This I absolutely agree with although I'd have to throw Muse in there as well.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

This is where u guys are wrong

A band is like a marriage, u stay in it for better or worse. Robin had no fucking loyalty and IMO absolutely crushed CD's release in a lot of ways.

Bono

Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

A band is like a marriage, u stay in it for better or worse. Robin had no fucking loyalty and IMO absolutely crushed CD's release in a lot of ways.

So are you of the opinion that Slash, Duff and Izzy had no fucking loyalty?  That they should've stayed on did only what Axl wanted when he wanted to and waited years on end to relase an album?

Robin was in the "band" for the better part of ten years and had nothing to show for it. The fact he lasted as long as he did shows tremendous loyalty.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

So are you of the opinion that Slash, Duff and Izzy had no fucking loyalty?  That they should've stayed on did only what Axl wanted when he wanted to and waited years on end to relase an album?

Robin was in the "band" for the better part of ten years and had nothing to show for it. The fact he lasted as long as he did shows tremendous loyalty.

Slash and Co left on different understandable terms.  Robin was there for the check and fucked Axl over to suck Trent's dick one last time.  I coudn't be happier that piece of shit is no longer in GNR. I finally was able to once again be a GNR fan.

Loyalty would've been doing it for free. U think he did it for free? FUCK NO> This guy is a fucking nobody ridiculously horrible guitar player who was given a golden opportunity to be somebody and to actually get to write and create... He chose being Trent's boot licker instead.

No respect.

Bono

Bono wrote:

well I can repect your opinion on Robin as  a musician cause that's pretty subjective  but I have no respect for the opinion you expressed about showing loyalty would've been doing it for free. No  professional musician on this planet would do what Robin was doing for free nor should they, nor should  anyone expect them to nor should anyone think by collecting a paycheck it's any less loyal. You think Buckethead did it for free?  Fuck no.  You think Axl was and is Robin's only avenue to success and respect? Ummm... not very likely.  Maybe, just maybe the guy had, had enough of the bullshit that is  the business side Guns N' Roses and the persona that is Axl Rose.  It's not hard to see how someone might just say "fuck this shit I'm out". Others did it before Robin so....

In my opinion Robin must've felt he did his part, wrote and recorded some material and clearly had enough. Time to move on. The album came out in 2008 for crying out loud. 2008! In Robin's mind he was probably wondering if it would ever come out just like many of the fans were. I cant' blame the guy one bit for moving on.

I'm gald he did though cause I like his replacement better so...

Board footer