You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Robin vs. DJ Ashba

misterID wrote:
Neemo wrote:

DJ jumps in the crown everynight during Nightrain

what seriousness did RObin bring? the stupid mongoloid dance schtick? The Garbage Bag/Longjohns getup? the half shaved head/elvis jumpsuit getup? some serious stuff there

this is rock n roll not congress, seriousness doesnt play a factor, its not like they act like gwar or something

there were a few finck fans out there back when he was in the band but since he has left it seems like people like him more yeah he has alot of song writing credits for the new album but he has as many dogs as he does highlights...just dont dig his playing style...talk about contrived i think robin did his best just to be different, to re-transpose music from one tuning to another says it all really, it also helped make teh old stuff sound wrong in a live setting

The bashing came from the original line up fans who hated he carried on with the GN'R name and couldn't get over the "freak show." The people who bashed Robin and Bucket were the guys who grew up on 80's metal, hair metal, cock rock, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi and Van Halen stuff.

yet here we are 7-8 years after Bucket has left and the same ones that bitched about the original lineup fans bitching are now bitching that the lineup used to be better....oh the irony

MrID you talk like Crue, Jovi and VH are bad....they come from the same vein as GnR my freind 19 or maybe i'm just an old fart, i never bashed bucket, but i think Robin's "talent" is just over my head or soemthing, i dont want the band to sound like soemthign different i want it to sound like GnR...i think thats my biggest problem with robin...everything sounded off to me when he played the old material

I never said that BH and Finck left for no reason....but they did leave and if not for DJ and Bumble there wouldnt be a band on tour right now....Finck and Bucket werent fired they left...

bitch as much as you want, the lineup is what we got (i think its awesome) all complining does is increase the possiblility that the guys (who bust their asses day in and day out and put their health and well being on the line) feel unappreciated

I don't mean this as an insult, but this is one of the biggest piece of shit posts I've ever read on a forum. I wasn't bitching or complaining. I was very positive about the line up, even if it wasn't my favorite. You saw the opportunity to rant and whine about Robin, again, with your standard bashing of Robin and praising DJ because he fits some ridiculous notion of what some Rock guitaist should be, to you anyway, and you took it. For whatever reason your strange obsession with Robin and the people who dig him, and the things you don't "get" about him just keeps showing up and for some reason you just can't let it go.

If you noticed, I made my point without slamming DJ's look, stage presence, playing, all of which I find pretty stupid, lame, ridiculous and generic (sorry you went there). All because I actually respect the members here who like him. And I know how disresctful that shit is. But, whatever. We're on another "mongaloid" rant. Yay, DJ jumps in the crowd every night at the same song. Yay. Rock & Roll spontaneity at its finest. Good job. roll

And GN'R and Crue in the same vein... Yeah.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Meh, having a awful day. Didn't mean to come off harsh. Hope no offense was taken. We just have different taste in music and two very different outlooks of GN'R.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

whatever....my post was partially directed to sundancekid who said

Also you don't see DJ jumping into the crowd like Robin did in 2006.

i dont care if DJ does it or think that its uber cool that he does...but it was a response to an obviously uninformed comment

and i addressed other comments from his post like that Robin brought seriousness to the band i just didnt quote him, and nothing about robin ever lead me to take him seriously

as to the rest...i grew up listening to gnr crue et al i htink i know who was in the "hard rock/heavy metal" genre at that time. there are more ties between gnr and crue than you may want to beleive so you just go on doin what you're doin and i'll be quiet with any further peice of shit posts

and you are the one who makes it abundantly clear time after time who is your preferred guitar combo in GnR...i jsut thought it was time to step up and actually defend the guys who are currently carrying the torch is all, sorry to offend you, you bitch about old fans talking about their fav incarnation yet youare doin the same thing

and DJ is always bashed around here ... fake, contrived, wannabe, Slashba etc etc

i think it fuckign sucks that we cant juts appreicate what we got,

must be something about my posts cuz everyone seems to fly off the handle when i type out stuff roll

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
misterID wrote:

Meh, having a awful day. Didn't mean to come off harsh. Hope no offense was taken. We just have different taste in music and two very different outlooks of GN'R.

yeah no prob didnt mean to offend you or make you mad...just diggin the current band alot right now and finally decided to stand up for it is all 16

misterID

misterID wrote:

I pretty much stayed away from the DJ bashing just because of the Robin bashing that happened and how that pissed me off. I do dig his takes on Robin's stuff. And I think it's cool that he's won people over, even if he isn't my type of guitarist.

And I like that we can all have a prefered line up and still dig the current line up. Again, I think it does just come down to different taste in music and it says a lot about GN'R that they can reach so many different people.

Anyway, I do respect you a whole lot, and I didn't mean any disrespect. The Robin stuff gets to me sometimes because it's basically making me feel like I'm having to defend myself as much as Robin. And I didn't mean for a Robin Vs. DJ thread to start. My whole point was that Axl is and will always be the main focus not the guys in the band, for better or worse, and the future success of the band rests soley on him. And I do like this line up, despite everything. smile

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
MisterID wrote:

Axlin08] The only person who mattered anything to anyone outside of Axl in the scheme of things was Slash. Buckethead was the only who could have possibly filled another spotlight.

I think it's hard to know.

I mean old GNR does have that Lead Singer/Lead Guitarist package where each one is impressive. Works for that Rock God kind of thing...you can be watching wishing you could play/sing half as well or were half as cool.

Now bucket has the chops for that, he's def the kind of guitarist that makes people quit guitar from jealousy. He doesn't have slash's "born to be cool" chrisma in terms of his look - but then I guess his unusual aperance and so on could have turned him into an enigma and created it's own bad ass vibe.

I think one of the reasons it didn't happen with bucket, and for that matter hasn't mostly with any of the others - is that the model of the band swapped to 3 people sharing a role that was once held by one.

A huge part of the early success is that slash is a bad ass motherfucker of a player and a cool dude so to speak - so i'm not taking away from that - but then I also think the new guys don't have the same chance to shine because the nature of the role and the band is different.

For example, if GNR was something like Axl, Tommy, Chris, Frank, Dizzy, Gilby Clarke and Ron...and Ron played every single solo and every single lead line - I think naturally after a while you'd get more people analysing his technique and more people realising he's a freak of a guitarist.

Both Buckethead and Ron are sort of wasted the way GNR works in the sense that when someone has such proficiency on an instrument, there's limited reason to have anyone else play a solo.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I
I really think alot of this "they were the best" shit is alot of revisionist history. I was right there following this shit daily, on far more boards than I do today, and I don't remember ANY of this shit.

I remember Jim Bob being the big Robin fan, and that's about it.

It's hard to know because of the nature of the conversations back then.

For example - most 2002 conversations got distracted by the bigger issue of "wtf has happened to Axl's voice now - why is there no rasp - and what's with the outfit/hair".

By 2006 - I think there was a little more acceptance of robin. Axl was back with a decent rasp, and I think Robin had improved his chops so that his non-slashness wasn't quite as offensive to people wanting slash up there than before.

However - even then there's no album to really praise robin's work on.

Also - not to call out Jim Bob (whatever happened to him btw?) - but part of the problem IMHO was that some robin fans would enjoy robin's work but dislike slash's work in equal measure.

So those type of people, rather than just say they loved Robin, they would insult slash's playing, or suggest he didn't write the riffs or something.

And this would start those fan wars we all know and love.

So i guess I agree it's revisionist and interesting that everyone seems to love Robin and Bucket now when at the time most of us (some exceptions) were like "WTF".

But then I also think thats because a lot of people were in shock in 2000-2002 and then in 2006 there was too much guitarist dick measuring wink

AtariLegend wrote:

The guys that created the original music on the album are always going to be favored by me.  Buckethead, Tobias, Finck.

...And russ can I see a few examples of the other rules I've broken on this forum?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

If you noticed, I made my point without slamming DJ's look, stage presence, playing, all of which I find pretty stupid, lame, ridiculous and generic (sorry you went there).

I can understand both points of view on DJ.

Angry Anderson of Rose Tattoo somewhere (i think at MTV classic gig) escribes Slash as something like "He's just the real deal. a rock and roll mongrel rock dog" or words to that effect. And that's the thing with Slash - sure he's pulling rock god poses and it's influenced by joe perry and others - but it's always been sort of authentic.

He was born to be a rock star. He's real for better or worse. From the guy holding up his guitat in a junkie drunken haze in the 1990s, to the unbelievable emotion he channels into a song, to the way he plays today. He's Slash and that is what it is.

The thing about DJ is that his influences are so profound. He's obviously a hybrid of Mick Mars and Slash. And I can understand that some people view that as insincere.

Did DJ get his tatts during his days on the street or did he get them to look like tommy lee? When he stands with a cig or talks of trashing stuff while pissed is it because he smokes and uses or because motley did?

For the record, I'm not suggesting he's lying to us, maybe he really is the absolute last of the real legit LA rock dudes and none of it is showman ship, but i think in the absense of him recording with the band (which i think will be good) - and because his influences are so transparent - I can understand why some people feel it's suspect. I'm not sure I agree or not - but I can see why a person could see it that way.

That negative shit out of the way. At the end of the day for me - while I'm not yet sold on his apperance, stage antics and so on - if we talk about the actual MUSIC - then i'm really into DJ. Bottom line to me is that he's far more respectful of slash's parts and plays them much closer to the original than robin did - which is what the majority of fans would want I suspect.

I also think he will "come good" when we see DJ inspired material - he writes well in the style of Motley Crue when he records with them, and he writes Sixx Am stuff that's good - and so I think if writing in a style for Axl he would also choose melodies and shredding that's good.

For me it comes down to if i go see the band with DJ i can rock out to the solo and it sounds like I want it too (mostly anyway)...and that's what I need him to do in the band...so i do support him - but i can understand why at first glance some people see him as an emulator not an original.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

I firmly disagree with the Robin bashing.

If memory serves me correct he has seven co-writing credits on Chinese Democracy.

And here we find the paradox that plagues me with Robin.

I seriously love what he recorded on Chinese Democracy. The guy is a real artist type there's a unique texture and sound to what he does.

My problem with him relates to when he plays Slash-era material. He was better in 2006 than in 2002 - but fundementally to my ears either he didn't have the guitar-technique for it, or he was too stylisticly different to nail it, or he's just too creative and didn't respect the old song history enough to stick to their melodies.

To me changing those guitar lines that deeply  is just as bad as if someone re-wrote the entire lyrics to the song. My head is just screaming "that's not how it goes" the whole time.

Which creates a bitter sweet paradox. I want him in the band for CD and for what he'd write on another album. But (and I realise it's personal taste) I cringe when he plays an AFD or UYI track.

It's a hypothetical, but I'd love him in the band if it were a 2 guitarist band and he was part rhythm guitarist but with some solos. He could bust out the occasional lead line - sort of like izzy did for slash and like how richard does now for ashba/ron. So then like Robin could keep his writing contributions - and he could play all his Chinese Democracy solos live - but the slash covering duties could have been handled by the "lead" player (be it Ron/Ashba or someone new or whatever).

So yeah there's an idea...GNR with robin and DJ....maybe we can have 4 guitarists...:D

Board footer