You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Robin vs. DJ Ashba

misterID wrote:

Seriously, I couldn't picture Axl on any of those songs. All the 80's "hair" metal documentaries pretty much say that GN'R were a different band and their arrival was basically the beginning of the end for that entire scene. These were the muscians saying it. So, it's not just a few of us who don't equate GN'R with that scene. I'm not knocking those bands, but they weren't in GN'R's league, imo. Writing, playing, image, style. Completely different beast.

And I don't see CD as an industrial album. It's influenced, yeah, but it's a pretty straight forward, modern rock album with a lot of ballads, which is Axl's thing. Sundance put it best with the Industrial, Queen rock comparison. And I always got the feeling Axl would have rather been Janes Addiction than Motley Crue.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Well it doesn't really matter what the musicians say or said. We all know Gn'R was a different beast and we all know Gn'R were in a  different league but my point is what is so different between Live Wire or Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue and Right Next Door to Hell or Paradise City that causes a person to love one and aboslutely despise another? I don't get that.

As for the Queen comparison I don't feel CD is anything remotely similar to Queen.  Not even an industrial style Queen.

I'll get crucified for this but I feel CD actually comes off as a weak A Thousands Suns by Linkin Park. When I listen to that album and then listen to CD it feels like Linkin Park achieved what Axl was trying to....  That's honestly the comparison I can make with CD. That seems to me to be the direction Axl wanted to go in.  Obviously with a bit more classic rock element to it as Linkin Park lacks any real guitar solos but. People can shit on Linkin Park if they want to but in terms of making a unique modern rock record they did it with that album and I think Axl was trying to and yeah he did but for my taste it just fell flat.

I mean I'm still struggling to hear this amazing guitar solo in TWAT that all you hear. Yes I know where it is in the song but I'm clearly not hearing what's so amazing about it. I liek Robin's mini solo in Better better than that and I think his solo in This I Love is the best on the album so....

So I guess for me that's what DJ possibly brings to the table. The potential  of a more classic rock sound which I think Axl's voice is much more suited for.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I hear Queen, but don't hear any Linkin Park. CD just strikes us different 16

Bono

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

I hear Queen, but don't hear any Linkin Park. CD just strikes us different 16

If you haven't heard it I'd highly recomend Linkin Park's album  A Thousnd Suns . If you give it a listen from start to finish you might see what I'm getting at when I compare it to CD.  It's all over the map just like CD but it's more cohesive. It's got ballads, rockers and mid tempo songs. It's got a number of interlude type tracks but overall I think it's similar to CD in the sense that I feel Axl was going for something similar to this. It has an element of industrial songs mixed in with pop songs and some all out rockers(albeit Linkin Park rockers are different than Gn'R rockers so..). I mean it's really hard to deny when listening to Better that there's no similarities to Linkin Park. I mean there's even Martin Luther King interlude on the album.
[youtube]Ra-7mFyIWkQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Anyways I'm not a really big Linkin Park fan, but I like them and own two of their albums(Hybrid Theory & A Thousand Suns) and I feel A Thousand Suns is one of the best albums in the last few years by any band. It's just a great and interesting album in my opinion.

KIKO2K
 Rep: 5 

KIKO2K wrote:

Very nice !!! HA !
It seems here is mygnr forum all the way now...

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Bono wrote:
killingvector wrote:
Bono wrote:

If you're speaking in terms of turning off casual fans and alienating many long time fans then yeah he was definitely a monster on the 2006 tour :P

Robin? Really?

I have not heard an objection to Mr. Finck's 2006/07 performance. In fact, I know long time G&R fans who drifted away after he left.

Really, where have you been?  There's been numerous objections to him over the years and a handful of them in this very thread. I can only assume you're intentionally not aknowledging the objections that have been mentioned cause they're quite common even amongst long time Gn'R fans.

I don't deny there are fans of Robin who may have lost interest in this Gn'R project after his depature nor do I deny there are a lot of Robin fans period but to say you've not heard any objections to his performances is...  dare I say completely untrue.  I mean how is it possible to be a regular on a  Gn'R discussion board and not have heard of any objections to Robin? Whether it be his ability, his style, his interpretations of classic Gn'R songs live or his contributions to CD.

Just settle down and we can untangle this a bit. Objections over Robin's choppy style existed back in 01/02. They continued from the same people throughout his tenure. That being said, his performance in 06/07 turned a lot of naysayers around and excited others to the point where they felt he had the star power to complement Axl.

I agree that there were objections about his style, but these existed long before the 06/07 tour. My point was that these two years were Robin's coming out party as a star in this band. He won over a lot of people, myself included.

I am not intentionally NOT acknowledging any objection. More to the point, I am specifically looking at what happened in 06/07. And, no, I have not gone through this thread page by page since it rehashes discussions which have appeared on G&R boards since 01/02. In fact, the objections against Bucket were much more animated if memory serves me correctly.

DJ is perfectly capable, but I don't particularly enjoy his work outside G&R and have not heard any material he has written in G&R. Robin has impressed me both in NIN and G&R 2.0 and 2.5, especially with his contributions to Chinese.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think the 2006-7 line up in general impressed people a lot more than the 2002 era.

Axl's voice was back, his dress sense had shifted from gangster rap to classic rock, fink looked more like a rock player and less like a circus peformer and his guitar work had visably improved.

That doesn't mean there's no complaints but I think killing vector is right that many people were beginning to warm to robin/get used to it.

I think if there had been a way for robin to contribute musically to the new  songs - but if he had not been the slash replacement on the old songs the band would have got strong acceptance. Like if it was just Ron/Robin and Robin played his CD solos and the rest of the time played Izzy parts while Ron shredded.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Before I saw a show I was actually leaning towards Robin which for me is a shock but after seeing DJ live Id rather have him in the band. I never "got" DJ til the live setting.

Bono

Bono wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Before I saw a show I was actually leaning towards Robin which for me is a shock but after seeing DJ live Id rather have him in the band. I never "got" DJ til the live setting.

That's pretty much how I felt as well. Once I saw him live I was sold, sold, sold.  Not to mention Ballad of Death I honestly think is my favorite peice of music to come out of the post Illusion era. I'd love to hear some Axl vocals on that song.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

No disrespect to Robin, I never really had any issues with him.  But like some have mentioned, Robin QUIT on GNR.  Sure he had his reasons, whatever they may be.  But the fact remains, he QUIT on GNR just before CD came out.  Like many before him including Buckethead and even the mighty Slash.  DJ is in the band now.  He wants to be there, he's kicking ass with the rest of the band right now.  So my vote is for him.

Board footer